It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocasio-Cortez compares members of migrant caravan to Jews fleeing Nazi Germany

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
To preface this post----I am pretty Conservative, but not so far Conservative that I have lost all common sense. As in this article. Here we have the daily anti-Cortez headline that tries to make her look stupid. It is inflammatory and is something I would expect out of the National Enquirer.
I think the inference here is that Holocaust Jews dying in Concentration camps are the same thing as Central American refugees.

I just find this headlline offensive to common-sense. The new Congresswoman has a semi-valid point...refugees are regugees until they are proven not to be. It's not that I am defended her...I think she is young/naive and mis-speaks a lot. Then again Obama thought there were 51 states(not really did he?) Bush and Trump have so many gaffes its impossible to catalog them all.

Anyway, this childish, irresponsible "reporting" has gotten out of hand IMO. I does nobody any good.

www.foxnews.com...

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

It was a stupid comment because economic refugees are not the same as running for your life, not even in the same hemisphere.

I have no doubt that some of the refugees are honest to god refugees fleeing persecution, but the majority in the caravan are just going for economic reasons... much like the majority of refugees in Europe are going for economic reasons but all are claiming to come from Syria to get in the door.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Many of these caravan refugees are running for their lives.

but the majority in the caravan are just going for economic reasons...

Every year Central American caravans carry migrant workers to the US.

edit on 26-11-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Didn't take long to get to the Jew - Nazi comparison.

I'm guessing the slavery reference won't be far behind

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It was a stupid comment, BUT it was not what the headline proclaimed to be...its clickbait. Everyone that came from Europe to the US were economic migrants, but did it legally. I think that is what most sane peeps are asking of these people. Do it legally!

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
No, no and no again. Refugees are refugees until they are proven not to be. Total BS. Any people moving from country to country are not automatically refugees. As I put in another thread, they are non-persons, mis placed persons or migrants. They have to apply for refugee status in the first safe country they land in. THEY MUST prove their fear of persecution in the country they came from. Just to say they are refugees does not make them so.
If granted refugee status they are given papers of proof. Once refugee status is given they can travel to which country will accept them, it's called refugee shopping. If they haven't got the refugee paperwork they CANNOT claim asylum.
I'll say it again, these are not refugees they are migrants and as such have no rights at all.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

OK, I said that wrong, but her specific tweet is not wrong.

“Asking to be considered a refugee & applying for status isn’t a crime."

So she is correct as per your statement. But the OP is more about the inflammatory headline.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

“Asking to be considered a refugee & applying for status isn’t a crime."

That is 100% correct, but by trying to compare this to the jews fleeing the Nazi's is absurd in its extreme and will cause a large percentage of people to ignore whatever valid point she is trying to make.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I agree and I think that is a big problem with her and people like her.

She has some valid points. Maybe not valid solutions, but I think her intentions are good. However, so goes about it SO radically that she chases away the more moderate people. She is hurting her own point in the battle she is fighting.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Whats chasing their life?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

a logical and informed post

but

you are dealing with people that think a man can become a women and vise versa just by saying it to be so. If that is your reality, is it really hard to believe that pretty much every person of color who says they are a refugee, is a refugee. It's racist to say otherwise , just like it's transphobic to believe quote biology(and it could get you removed from twitter)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Exactly my point. It's not just Fox. They love to throw in the all caps nonsense as well. It pretty much means people are going into the article mad so they skim over it without even stopping to say hey! OK I dont like this woman, but the headline does not match the content.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
She's the new Hillary for the right. They're completely obsessed and must discuss her every move/word, and take a lot of it out of context to make her look bad.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
She's the new Hillary for the right. They're completely obsessed and must discuss her every move/word, and take a lot of it out of context to make her look bad.

That's what happens when you make idiotic statements like her.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

She says some stupid things, but... (sorry, whataboutism) far, far less stupid things than our president and a lot less lies.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

She makes herself look bad with the dumb sh*t that comes out of her mouth.

As was said, I'm sure she has good intentions. But she clearly has no idea what she's talking about most of the time. And now she's going to be making laws for the rest of us.

Yay us!

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Whats wrong with #ting on them both?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Let Occaisional-Cortex keep doin' her thing.

Leftardism on Parade.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: Muninn

She says some stupid things, but... (sorry, whataboutism) far, far less stupid things than our president and a lot less lies.

But it's okay to talk about Trump every second but talk about a ditzy girl and it's bad???

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

That could go for 99% of officials. Look at that fool from Hawaii claiming border patrol used chemical weapons.

My point is, gimme NEWS not OPINIONS! This is one of the things I detest about our economy though, the news has been hijacked by corporations, so opinions have replaced facts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join