It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deal with Mexico Paves Way for Asylum Overhaul at US Border

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Or, we could build a wall...

This is a short term solution. That's good, but a short term solution is usually to buy time for a permanent solution.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Place an asylum acquisition center on the south border of Mexico. Anyone bypassing it from South of Mexico is ineligible for asylum without just cause to bypass it.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Well, results speak for themselves.

From the 38th Parallel to the US/Mexico border.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: roadgravel

This was never meant to be the basis of US or Mexican policy. But a means to an equitable end.

Your #resistance to this is noted.

How do you get "my resistance" from this. Poor logic.

I just figure we are bribing Mexico. The people are coming through Mexico so it is their problem too.

Another wrong assumption.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: The GUT

There is a lot to be concerned with an unfettered border with Mexico currently. If we can truly help each other and cooperate in the areas mentioned in the article I think we can actually achieve a state where free LEGAL travel across the border will be possible.

That's what they have in Central America now. Not in America or Mexico though. It's not in our best interests.

Eventually Mexico will come around to having border policies very much like the US. If for no other reason than trade with the US. They are not a banana republic, they want to improve their country.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Awesome.

This should help with that back log of immigrants that are waiting to see a judge.

The more efficient the system to get into this country the faster we can get those people that need our help in here.

Much better plan than just turning them away.

I expect the legal immigration numbers to rise after this. And that is a good thing. A melting pot is what we should remain.
edit on 24-11-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

What I believe will happen is that Mexico will start weeding out those with legitimate asylum requests and deport everyone else.

Exactly. And since I believe most of them are legitimate asylum seekers this will only help them to get in faster. Much better for them .

Controlling illegal immigration into Mexico will likely be more effective than trying to control it here.

Agreed. Much smaller land area to deal with.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Are we paying them to do this?

Even if we are I think it's a better use of money than a wall would have been.

I think this is evidence that trump has given up on the wall.

Like I keep saying with dems gaining power in the house we will see a change in potus policies.
No more kids in cages. No more wall. Instead let us work with mexico and help the asylum seekers.

It's a much more kind way of doing things don't you think?

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Mexico needs to do their part on their own.

I don't think Trump has given up on the wall yet.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

He's still seeking funding for it from Congress and construction of wall improvements have already started. No one is giving up on the wall and this deal is not a sign that the President has given up on anything.
edit on 24 11 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

No, he is still pressing forward with the wall. But walls have doors. A wall doesn't have to keep people out that have a reason to come in.

Like I keep saying with dems gaining power in the house we will see a change in potus policies.

This has nothing to do with Congress. This is Obrador and Trump working together.

No more kids in cages. No more wall. Instead let us work with mexico and help the asylum seekers.

The wall would prevent the kids in cages. And Mexico has already said this is a short term solution.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Better for everyone if we all work together.

I don't think Trump has given up on the wall yet.

We will see.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

so now washington post is trustworthy news? mass media is only right when it fits your agenda otherwise you laugh at it and call it "fake" just like chicken little falsely claiming the sky is falling when its actually falling no one is going to believe him. you guys have been telling me not to listen to chicken little now you're quoting him?

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

We will see.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This has nothing to do with Congress. This is Obrador and Trump working together.

I don't think trump would have done this if the repubs had swept the midterms.

No, he is still pressing forward with the wall.

We will see.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Better for everyone if we all work together.

Yep, and to work together Mexico needs to do their part.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

We will see.

We're seeing right now.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

3 cheers for Mexico!

...and of course our expert negotiator, President Trump.

This is the type of solution needed. It is so important to weed out ineligible asylum seekers before they set foot on our native soil.

It also needs to be made very clear that only those fleeing GOVERNMENT PERSECUTION are eligible to apply for asylum. No exceptions!

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Now this makes sense, why wasn't this the standard before? Good job on Trump and his staff.

I'm sure there will be some who find fault with this just because it's Trump though.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I would like to know the actual details before I'm all in on this being "sliced bread".

But at least it is something, assuming it happens. Maybe some real info after Dec 1.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join