It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Active Shooter Thousand Oaks

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I thought the shooting at a bar called "borderline" odd also, & the fact that it happened on the WEST coast. Normally, we east coasters have all these shootings. The entire ordeal is upsetting. I got a kid on his way to college, so I worry about this stuff. All I can do is prepare him incase something like this happens. I'm NOT against guns, I'm in a family of avid hunters, & family membears that also collect antique guns. But do I think SOMETHING should be done, YES. But I wish I knew what COULD be done????????? This happens too much, & my heart goes out to the families, & victims....senseless shooting.....sad.....

edit on 11/9/18 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The BBC is reporting the killer was bored but sane and he knew his mental health would be questioned for years to come.

ETA: Can't find it on the site but the talking head said so
edit on 9/11/18 by djz3ro because: TA A ETA

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: djz3ro

At least you admit this is more about emotions than about saving people. That's a start.

TheRedneck

If it weren't for my emotions I wouldn't care enough about this to discuss it. It's the fact I don't want people to die that causes me to care though

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: kimish
The giant pink elephant in the room needs addressed in regards to the gun control issue.

The pachyderm being mental health. That should be the main focus especially when it comes to mass shooters, they all seem to have a few screws loose. And a therapist. Bet this dude had a therapist as well.

These people shouldn't be allowed firearms

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Words and phrases with strong emotional implications are used to influence the audience by instilling anxieties and panic in the general population.
One man with a Gun "labeling"
Mass shooter and repeat it over and over is classical conditioning.
Code Red
Code Yellow
School lock downs
weapons of mass destruction.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

None of us want people to die... at least I hope not.

But, we all also know that everyone is going to die. We cannot stop that, no matter what we do, no matter what we try, no matter how badly we want it. It is impossible.

The real discussion, though, is people dying of violence. I get that. The paragraph above is not to take away from that, but rather to illustrate my point. That point is that we must make decisions based on reality and objectivity, not on emotions. If we are going to make decisions based on emotions, what is there to prevent a law that wraps everyone in bubble-wrap from the moment of birth? Silly? Maybe, but that is simply an extension of the idea that we must protect people from anything that might harm them, like guns. Objectively, perhaps some mental health issues could be addressed and attempts to remove guns from the hands of the insane have been addressed. Where we go from here must not be decided on emotion, but on objective reasoning and factual evidence.

I hope you react objectively and not emotionally when you drive a car. Most accidents seem to be the result of driving emotionally instead of objectively.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Borderline shooter posted to social media during rampage, 'life is boring so why not?'

"It's too bad I won't get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it. Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought... f***it, life is boring so why not?," Long posted.

According to ABC News, citing law enforcement sources and documents, Long published his message then proceeded to shoot victims on the dance floor.

Three minutes later, the former United States Marine Corps machine gunner appeared to taunt the public in a follow up post.
"I hope people call me insane (two smiley face emoji)...wouldn't that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah... I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'... or 'keep you in my thoughts'... every time... and wonder why these keep happening... (two more smiley face emoji)," Long posted at 11:27 p.m Wednesday.

Source

Other sources were mentioning about the screaming and police having to be called where he lived.
Apparently he wasn't enough a threat to them at the time, kinda answers my last post in this thread.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

The giant pink elephant in the room needs addressed in regards to the gun control issue.

The pachyderm being mental health. That should be the main focus especially when it comes to mass shooters, they all seem to have a few screws loose. And a therapist. Bet this dude had a therapist as well.

Mental health may be the pink elephant in the room, but, until we are able to heal a “broken” mind as surely as we are able to heal a broken bone, it is disingenuous of us, and even callous, to ignore the lives that we might save by impeding civilian access to auto-, and semi-automatic weapons.

This attitude of “Well, guns don’t kill people, it’s sick people who kill with guns that are the problem; but we can’t do anything to prevent sick people from killing, so we shouldn’t touch the guns!”

Just ain’t cutting it.

That’s the crazed 800lb gorilla that’s killing everyone in the room.
edit on 10-11-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yes, let then confiscate the guns. That will go quite well. Who wants to be a war lord.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

If guns didn't exist then there would be no murders? That's what i got out of your comment. Or maybe I'm just tired 😐

Thing is, there are a large number of ways and things to use which can be used as a deadly weapon.

Mental health is paramount.

Warmest regards,
Kimish
edit on 11-11-2018 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: kimish

Guns do make it real easy.
Way easier, and faster (more "efficient") than other methods.

edit on 11/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I think cars and bombs may have the edge on guns in that respect...

Oh! And airplanes! Don't forget 911...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Bombs take planning.

So did 911.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   

If guns didn't exist then there would be no murders? That's what i got out of your comment. Or maybe I'm just tired 😐

Thing is, there are a large number of ways and things to use which can be used as a deadly weapon.

Mental health is paramount.

Warmest regards,
Kimish

You’re just tired.

Mental health may be paramount, but as of yet, assuring anyone’s mental health is beyond the capabilities science, at least to the extent that “foolproof diagnoses” don’t exist.

“Crazy people” don’t always kill, and supposed “sane” folks have “snapped”, becoming multiple murderers.

Focus on the mental health issue (the so-called “pink elephant”) as a way to deflect any effort to address the gun issue (the “crazed gorilla”), and you accomplish nothing but more opportunity for mass shootings to occur.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So does using a gun effectively.

With a bomb you don't have to be anywhere around when it goes off. With a gun you do. With a bomb you only have to have it go off once. With a gun you need to make enough time to get several shots off. Admittedly easy when no one else can have a gun...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Look, wildfires in California killed 13 people in the past couple days. Hurricanes this year have killed scores of people. More people die in car accidents every day then people get killed by guns in almost a year. Nightclub fires have killed 60 and 70 people at time. We could go on and on.

The point here is, people die for a variety of reasons every day. When some nutjob goes into a crowded club and kills a bunch of people it makes the news (and it should)...just like all those other things. They're ALL tragic, but they happen. The big difference is, when the mass shootings happen there is this knee-jerk "GET ALL THE GUNS, OUTLAW THEM!!" reaction from the left, in the media and elsewhere.

Oh I know, there will be this whiny reaction to the above..."Don't be an idiot...we CAN'T do anything about fires and hurricanes, and we CAN do something about guns!". Well, that's BS! First of all, yes we CAN do something about fires, and yes we CAN do things about hurricane deaths, but those things are hard, and they're unpleasant, and they affect lots of people. The media doesn't scream about doing these things because they know there will be an almost instantaneous backlash from the public screaming "NO!!" The left's idea of freedom is imposing laws on everyone else but themselves. Why? Because it's more convenient for them (i.e. it's not hard, and it's not unpleasant and it only affects someone else).

Secondly, there are more guns in the US than there are people; you're NOT going to be able to remove guns from the population! Sorry, but it just ain't happenin'! Period. People might say "Well, they did it in Australia". Yeah, they did...but Australia is less than 10% of the population pf the USA. The population of Australia is less than the population of the state of California. AND, Australia wasn't one of the manufacturing capitals of Earth for firearms either. The gun grabbers try to pass off all this 'Get the Guns' as some easy measure that "EVERYONE should be able to see is just a reasonable measure...and anyone who doesn't is a lunatic who just wants to shoot up the place!!!" Well, it's not going to work, and it can't work.

So, why not give it a rest!

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join