It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 70 percent of Americans support 'Medicare for all' proposal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Seventy percent said they supported providing "Medicare for all," also known as single-payer health care, for Americans, according to a new American Barometer survey.

The poll, conducted by Hill.TV and the HarrisX polling company, found that 42 percent of respondents said they "strongly" supported the proposal, while 28 percent said they "somewhat" supported it.

Fifteen percent said they "somewhat" opposed the measure, while another 15 percent said they "strongly" opposed it.

The results mirrored a Reuters-Ipsos poll released in August, which also found that 70 percent of Americans supported "Medicare for all."

thehill.com...

Polls can often be wrong, but this number sounds about right to me.

I feel that medicare for all is a bad idea, as every government ran institution seems to become inefficient and bloated. In fact look at the government run VA hospitals and how poor many of them are.

I favor a more free market approach, preferably ending insurance as much as possible.

However, I can say that in some ways Medicare for all may be a better system than the corparotist mess we have now.

And I am open to hearing discussion on proponents of Medicare for all and could have my mind changed.

Politically, I think it would be very smart of Democrats to push this policy even harder, even if I personally dont think it is a good idea.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Let me guess ...

It's like the support for socialized health care. They support it until they're told how it's going to be financed, and that's when the support starts to drop sharply, but of course, that part of the equation wasn't factored in.

Everyone supports free stuff, including free health care (or government health care which is seen as the same thing).

What no one is smart enough to consider is that Medicare only "works" because it's limited to a portion of population instead of being open to everyone, and even then, we're going deeply in debt just subsidizing that limited portion.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Seventy percent said they supported providing "Medicare for all," also known as single-payer health care, for Americans, according to a new American Barometer survey.

The poll, conducted by Hill.TV and the HarrisX polling company, found that 42 percent of respondents said they "strongly" supported the proposal, while 28 percent said they "somewhat" supported it.

Fifteen percent said they "somewhat" opposed the measure, while another 15 percent said they "strongly" opposed it.

The results mirrored a Reuters-Ipsos poll released in August, which also found that 70 percent of Americans supported "Medicare for all."

thehill.com...

I feel that medicare for all is a bad idea, as every government ran institution seems to become inefficient and bloated. In fact look at the government run VA hospitals and how poor many of them are.

I favor a more free market approach, preferably ending insurance as much as possible.

However, I can say that in some ways Medicare for all may be a better system than the corparotist mess we have now.

And I am open to hearing discussion on proponents of Medicare for all and could have my mind changed.

Politically, I think it would be very smart of Democrats to push this policy even harder, even if I personally dont think it is a good idea.

This does not surprise me.
Both of my children view healthcare as an individual right and not a personal responsibility.
The older of the two will be voting for the first time in November.
I suspect the US population is made more of them than of me these days. Guaranteed treatment at the emergency room, and medicare for those that qualify as low income, disabled, or elderly is no longer enough.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Between Grambler’s OP and Ketsuko’s follow up all the important points of this issue have been covered. Good job!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

We will be on single payer health care eventually.
But like ketsuko said, people gunna squeal when they realize how they get to pay for it.
Stuff will be taxed and taxed hard.

Obama did the complete opposite of what he should have done. Dont try to get everyone on an insurance plan, try to make medical care affordable.
The medical industry is out of control.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

How come every other modern nation can do medicine at a lower cost than the US? Am I missing something? I pay $18,000 a year for my family of four (dental and eyes included). We are all pretty healthy, so we don't use it much. But we in the US spend the most, and are about average in outcomes. Some Sh*thole countries have lower infant mortality than the US. What is going on?
edit on 22-10-2018 by JasonBillung because: Meant lower

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If we do do that, we need to get rid of the corruption in the health care field and stop all the unnecessary tests and procedures being done. Most people do not need a colonoscopy if they have no symptoms.

Only basic healthcare should be covered, no botox or breast enlargements, no sex changes, no unnecessary procedures. No expensive meds either, just generic and some preapproved necessary meds.
edit on 22-10-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
the poll should really read

"70% of American's have no idea what will or won't work but know what we are doing now doesn't work and will do anything to try a better system"

you wanted accurate right?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Could probably get 'er done for about a trillion and a half a year.
Just put it on our tab.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

thehill.com...

Both of my children view healthcare as an individual right and not a personal responsibility.
I suspect the US population is made more of them than of me these days. Guaranteed treatment at the emergency room, and medicare for those that qualify as low income, disabled, or elderly is no longer enough.

It’s the type of thing that your kids, and others, will have to discover for themselves in order to believe it. Sort of a fire is hot thing. I discovered that this type of medical care sucked firstly in the service. Then later at the VA. When I got old enough I thought I’d give Medicare a go and found it was better but I suspect greatly if everyone was one it it too would suck.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If we do do that, we need to get rid of the corruption in the health care field and stop all the unnecessary tests and procedures being done. Most people do not need a colonoscopy if they have no symptoms.

Only basic healthcare should be covered, no botox or breast enlargements, no sex changes, no unnecessary procedures. No expensive meds either, just generic and some preapproved necessary meds.

I get those just for fun

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'd be curious if that poll stated how it would be paid for... Most people support giveaways if they aren't personally paying for it.

I can support universal healthcare if we give up some other entitlements and other spending to pay for it along with the 50% of the population that pays no federal taxes now being required to pay taxes.

With that said, I also want a free market approach so people can choose which system they prefer. get governmetn out of the way so insurance can be more affordable and efficient and allow doctors to offer price transparency like any other service / product.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Never mind. Fight it out amongst yourselves.
edit on 22-10-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Most of those things aren't covered now and as a result, doctors compete on price and quality. This is why LASIK and other cosmetic procedures are relatively cheap. You don't have insurance inflating the costs and the actual end user (patient) is involved in seeking out the best prices since they have to pay out of pocket.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

No expensive meds either, just generic and some preapproved necessary meds.
Isn't that where your famous "Death panels' kick in?

Yup, once some government bureaucrat determines a 90 year grandpa doesn't need a new hip as his "lifetime value or contribution" has been exceeded, you can send him out to pasture...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Payroll tax for Medicare is 1.45% for employee and 1.45% for employer.

Bring that up to 6% and maybe PartA is covered.

PartB is paid into by each individual (already done).

Hmmmm

Gov could use private contractors to "underwrite".

An insurance guy told me this is what they are looking at behind the scenes.

💥😃💥

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Medicare is not free..

We pay for that our whole lives so why shouldnt we get it?

Stop buying 800,000 $ helmets for fighter pilots, and spending millions per missile , maybe we could afford it.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Everyone loves free stuff, as long as someone else pays for it.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: shooterbrody

thehill.com...

It’s the type of thing that your kids, and others, will have to discover for themselves in order to believe it. Sort of a fire is hot thing. I discovered that this type of medical care sucked firstly in the service. Then later at the VA. When I got old enough I thought I’d give Medicare a go and found it was better but I suspect greatly if everyone was one it it too would suck.

What they do not understand is how choice is taken away.
Who wants the government to decide what will be available and what will not?
Our nation was founded upon the right to choose.
Reforming the medical industry does not have to mean allowing the government to take it over.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Everyone loves free stuff, as long as someone else pays for it.

I pay for it I just dont get it. so why shouldnt I get it?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join