It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 70 percent of Americans support 'Medicare for all' proposal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Byrd
a reply to: Grambler

Countries that do have this type of medicine generally have a better quality of life for everyone.

...I'm not sure someone working 60+% of their year before seeing any of their earnings actually make it into their account thanks to taxes out the ass to pay for everyone else constitutes "a better quality of life."

Solution is cut military spending and stop going to war.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: schuyler
Everyone loves free stuff, as long as someone else pays for it.

I pay for it I just dont get it. so why shouldnt I get it?

You pay into social security right now, too. Why don't you get that right now? We're talking about everyone here. What you pay for right now is for your own future when you are eligible. The amount you pay right now is nowhere near what you will cost the system, which already pays out more than it takes in. The system is essentially a Ponzi scheme that is close to insolvency. And you want it early? The ONLY way you can have "Medicare for all" is for taxes to sharply increase. If you truly want "Medicare for all," then be prepared to pay a whole lot more for it than you contribute right now. 1.45% x 2 is not going to cut it.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Not sure that wars the problem. Look at Canada’s NHS, it will account for nearly 80% of Canada’s GDP by 2030. That’s not sustainable.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Err, I was going to offer my two penn'orth but bugger it....I'm with Johnny C on the first page; fight it out amongst yourselves, its simply not worth the hassle.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: Grambler

Seventy percent said they supported providing "Medicare for all," also known as single-payer health care, for Americans, according to a new American Barometer survey.

The poll, conducted by Hill.TV and the HarrisX polling company, found that 42 percent of respondents said they "strongly" supported the proposal, while 28 percent said they "somewhat" supported it.

Fifteen percent said they "somewhat" opposed the measure, while another 15 percent said they "strongly" opposed it.

The results mirrored a Reuters-Ipsos poll released in August, which also found that 70 percent of Americans supported "Medicare for all."

thehill.com...

Polls can often be wrong, but this number sounds about right to me.

I feel that medicare for all is a bad idea, as every government ran institution seems to become inefficient and bloated. In fact look at the government run VA hospitals and how poor many of them are.

I favor a more free market approach, preferably ending insurance as much as possible.

However, I can say that in some ways Medicare for all may be a better system than the corparotist mess we have now.

And I am open to hearing discussion on proponents of Medicare for all and could have my mind changed.

Politically, I think it would be very smart of Democrats to push this policy even harder, even if I personally dont think it is a good idea.

This does not surprise me.
Both of my children view healthcare as an individual right and not a personal responsibility.
The older of the two will be voting for the first time in November.
I suspect the US population is made more of them than of me these days. Guaranteed treatment at the emergency room, and medicare for those that qualify as low income, disabled, or elderly is no longer enough.

It’s the type of thing that your kids, and others, will have to discover for themselves in order to believe it. Sort of a fire is hot thing. I discovered that this type of medical care sucked firstly in the service. Then later at the VA. When I got old enough I thought I’d give Medicare a go and found it was better but I suspect greatly if everyone was one it it too would suck.

What they do not understand is how choice is taken away.
Who wants the government to decide what will be available and what will not?
Our nation was founded upon the right to choose.
Reforming the medical industry does not have to mean allowing the government to take it over.

We allready have that. The right to choose is BS. you would rather have insuranve companies deciding what will be available ?

Wait, I am confused? I can't currently choose what insurance I choose to buy. Or not buy any at all should that be my choice? Perhaps you have not shopped for insurance before, you can buy whatever coverage level you like. I fear that choice will be take and I will be again forced to purchase insurance i do not want or even need.

You cant choose to not buy medicare now can you?

edit on 22-10-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Countries that do have this type of medicine generally have a better quality of life for everyone.

...I'm not sure someone working 60+% of their year before seeing any of their earnings actually make it into their account thanks to taxes out the ass to pay for everyone else constitutes "a better quality of life."

Solution is cut military spending and stop going to war.

I could get with that. And as a bonus, we would have less vets needing medical care when they came home.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JasonBillung
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Simple. Do what I do. Earn more money.

Work hard, millions on welfare depend on you!
:rolleyes:
Talk to me when you're tired of being a charity.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Why in the hell would we want to do that?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I feel that medicare for all is a bad idea, as every government ran institution seems to become inefficient and bloated.

Frankly, screw the government. Bloated and inefficient is better than nothing at all. It’s not like anyone is going to pay less taxes because these programs don’t exist.

The money saved from killing programs like these is just going to go in the pockets of the people sponsoring the politicians. The citizens who are going to pay either way might as well get something out of it, even if it is bloated and inefficient.

It’s not like private healthcare through insurance companies is a model of efficiency.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Something must be done about the national debt !!!!

We want single payer healthcare !!!

As a American I can’t believe how stupid most Americans are .

Right?

Plenty of them are fine with never ending wars with no benefit to us, and then happily pay close to a grand a month for health insurance.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Why in the hell would we want to do that?

You like war? Im tired of it myself.

lets spend that money on infrastructure and health care . 800,000 $ helmets. Just wtf.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

War doesn't bother me so long as it's fought to win and spoils are claimed. War is the natural state of humanity, always has been.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Medicare - Australia. (What am I entitled to, what do I have to pay, etc)

Easy website to navigate, pretty much answers most questions folks might have. I honestly don't know anyone who thinks they're being ripped-off by our system - likely because we change leaders and controlling governments in a flash if it appears we're being collectively shafted and medicare has already gone through that fire upon its implementation many years ago.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: Grambler

Seventy percent said they supported providing "Medicare for all," also known as single-payer health care, for Americans, according to a new American Barometer survey.

The poll, conducted by Hill.TV and the HarrisX polling company, found that 42 percent of respondents said they "strongly" supported the proposal, while 28 percent said they "somewhat" supported it.

Fifteen percent said they "somewhat" opposed the measure, while another 15 percent said they "strongly" opposed it.

The results mirrored a Reuters-Ipsos poll released in August, which also found that 70 percent of Americans supported "Medicare for all."

thehill.com...

Polls can often be wrong, but this number sounds about right to me.

I feel that medicare for all is a bad idea, as every government ran institution seems to become inefficient and bloated. In fact look at the government run VA hospitals and how poor many of them are.

I favor a more free market approach, preferably ending insurance as much as possible.

However, I can say that in some ways Medicare for all may be a better system than the corparotist mess we have now.

And I am open to hearing discussion on proponents of Medicare for all and could have my mind changed.

Politically, I think it would be very smart of Democrats to push this policy even harder, even if I personally dont think it is a good idea.

This does not surprise me.
Both of my children view healthcare as an individual right and not a personal responsibility.
The older of the two will be voting for the first time in November.
I suspect the US population is made more of them than of me these days. Guaranteed treatment at the emergency room, and medicare for those that qualify as low income, disabled, or elderly is no longer enough.

It’s the type of thing that your kids, and others, will have to discover for themselves in order to believe it. Sort of a fire is hot thing. I discovered that this type of medical care sucked firstly in the service. Then later at the VA. When I got old enough I thought I’d give Medicare a go and found it was better but I suspect greatly if everyone was one it it too would suck.

What they do not understand is how choice is taken away.
Who wants the government to decide what will be available and what will not?
Our nation was founded upon the right to choose.
Reforming the medical industry does not have to mean allowing the government to take it over.

We allready have that. The right to choose is BS. you would rather have insuranve companies deciding what will be available ?

Wait, I am confused? I can't currently choose what insurance I choose to buy. Or not buy any at all should that be my choice? Perhaps you have not shopped for insurance before, you can buy whatever coverage level you like. I fear that choice will be take and I will be again forced to purchase insurance i do not want or even need.

You cant choose to not buy medicare now can you?

And why would I want to? Seems all I hear is complaints about it. Are you saying it is now a good deal and people should be able to buy into it?
Funny you chose not to address the issue of choice and government control.
If I want to buy lasik or get implants I should be able to decide that and not the government imo.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Health insurance companies can still deny things that aren't needed.

In the UK everyone has blanket coverage to take care of essential things, if you want more coverage you can get elective supplemental insurance.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

War doesn't bother me so long as it's fought to win and spoils are claimed. War is the natural state of humanity, always has been.

Hmmm, but we pay for all the war and get nothing in return.

The "spoils" are deals worked out for corporations to profit during the war and its aftermath.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

OH what a crock.

You would rather your money go to make sure we can kill more of "those"people then save more Americans?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah, that needs to change. We currently should be enjoying $0.10 a gallon gas from all the American government held oil fields in Iraq... the problem is our leadership lacked testicles at the time we should have claimed those spoils.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I believe my overall tax rate is pretty low. You just have to be smart.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

One investment is a one-time, problem solved investment, the other is like throwing money right out the window bill after bill and actually does nothing but lead to further expenditures on the same individuals.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join