It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit will not happen

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Brexit will happen. Failure of Brexit will be a failure of democracy.

I am not fussed that there is political debate in the UK over the flavour of Brexit. Surely that's democracy. Contrast this with the robotic and unelected EU Commission.

There are various strands of politics at play here. I am watching the efforts to break up the UK over the NI border. I read recently that some politicians in the Republic of Ireland see Brexit as the catalyst for a new push for Irish unification, and the actions of the Irish and the EU appear to be creating a situation that plays into this. Clearly, with the Labour leadership self-proclaimed Irish unification twats we can see that particular end game.

It's the EU Commission's aim to harm the UK.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Thank you for your fairly reasoned reply. However i want to pick you up on one comment you made, which is this.

But the EU can not allow the UK to leave EU without pain

This alarms me. It reminds me of what the former Soviet Union would have said about their occupation of Poland, Hungary etc who wanted their freedom from Moscow.

When a country voluntary joins a union of nations, penalties should not be threatened if they then decided to leave.

This comparison is a little over the top, I think. The Soviet Union would have prevented separation from the Warsaw Pact even with military forces, I am sure.
The EU has a valid interest to keep their members being part of the EU, otherwise it would evaporise. So the EU has to make it clear that leaving the EU comes with a (hefty) cost.

It is like a membership to a purchasing association, only with far more intentions to that association than only cheaper purchases. The association has a valid and vital interest in keeping as many members as possible, or it will wither and die.

Voluntary membership does not always include removing that membership unilaterally without costs.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: BenignChaos
a reply to: alldaylong

Let the people have another vote then, it should not matter right? Maybe both sides have people wanting to switch. It would be undemocratic to let their voices fall upon death ears.

It seems that the people were not happy when Bush was voted in......but was there another election?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BenignChaos

Humanity has been divided for a long time , we got this far so whats the problem .

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BenignChaos

Maybe all those poor saps in Greece who had their bank accounts robbed fill differently,and what has eu done to stop wars ? Merkel forcing members to take in a large amount of middle eastern immigrants a lot of whom were arrogant and hateful to receiving countries surly did not help the member States. When a union is not treating all members fairly and equally then yes it is time for a union to break.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This topic has not aged well...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Satire:

<< 2  3  4   >>

join