It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kavenaugh is the embodiment of elite white male privildge IMHO & prepschool mentality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I know a lot of people who went to schools like Kav - I met them first year in college and the following years. Mostly from the Philly area but also NJ, MD and DC area. Most all of them went on to be in fraternities, as did I, but there was a MAJOR difference in how the guys from public schools acted vs the guys from the prep schools - it was glaringly obvious. When alone with one of the prep school guys, all it was was talking about the other guys (talking trash usually, even about own brothers - supposedly closest friends) and just because you would listen to them and maybe nod, they thought you were in agreement, when most of the time I was in disbelief and would most always be the "devils advocate" for the guy getting ragged on.

There was such a sense of superiority and constant bragging about their schooling that it was sickening, from sports to academics - none of which would have ever held a candle to the public school I went to especially in sports and after a few semesters I realized the same with academics (many were top in their class, 3.5gpa+) compared to a 2.5-2.7GPA at a public school and many times the public school kids knew volumes more than the prep school kids.

What was most disturbing, especially the first year of college was the attitude towards the girls in the dorm or school. My one close friend tried to bed every single one of them while having a GF back in HS who was a senior (never told her though) and he never told the girls at college. And then there was the bragging afterwards about the girls, which I never knew if it was true or not, I could never tell but I suspected it was all BS for the most part. The lack of respect for the co-eds was blatant when they weren't around but when they were, my friend was a smooth talking, nice/bad guy who seemed to know little tricks to get girls interested in them (usually or very often lies). This wasn't just my friend, it was many of the prep school guys who I found out were completely two faced when it came to girls, and they definitely didn't understand the thing about not "kissing and telling".

This was a complete opposite from what I grew up with. Having to go to school with about 50% girls in every class, we learned to respect them and deal with them appropriately and not think of them simply as a sex object (may have helped having a sister too, many prep school kids were all boy families or single child families).

Also the girls from all girl schools were probably the biggest party girls at school. They loved them some attention, no matter who it came from (99/100 times guys). Many of them joined sororities as well, I'd say about same percentage as guys - maybe a 50/50 split between private/preo & public school - and it was usually pretty easy to tell the prep schoolers out of the crowd, especially the freshmen and sophomores. Upperclassmen seemed to have be a little more homogeneous, maybe attributes of each rubbed off on each other.

The one thing that was very prevalent was the drug and alcohol use from the prep schoolers. Where lots of public school kids may have had a party a couple times a year, it seemed like a weekly thing, if not more with them - when in high school. This transferred over into college and it was real easy to spot them first semester freshmen year, because they were the ones withe the worst FOMO and would go out every night. Sure some other kids would go along on occasion, but not like every night for the first 30 days or anything.

IDK if this goes along with "white privilege" because there were minorities that went to these schools as well, but they were a small fraction of the numbers.

I can attest to the temperament of many of the prep school kids when they were confronted about doing something wrong, being an @$$ or whatever, they would be belligerent and want to fight - when they were clearly in the wrong. It was infuriating and many times there were fights that started and in almost every case it was started by a kid who went to a prep school - though there were a couple where the origin was questionable, but the prepschool kids seemed to think they should never have to apologize of back down and expected all their "bros" to back them up even when being a total doosh.

This isn't to say that kids from public schools did't get into fights or have problems, but for the small fraction of kids coming from prep schools, there was a HUGE disproportion to the amount of headache caused by this group as compared to others. One might compare crime rates of poor minorities and the BS rate of prep school kids at college as being similar as the per-capita population for each "group".

+33 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Cool story bro.

Not really relevant to anything unless you are the type that just groups certain people into a nice little box so you can label them...

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

sounds like every single football jock asshole i went to school with
normal public school

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Nonsense, Self Attribution Bias, your personal experiences aren't indicative of the overall truth simply because you just don't know anybetter other than what is shown, ala, "Judging a book by its cover".

Schools, regardless of the economic strata, all have their personal problems. Prep schools and their clubs, Public schools and their gangs, see? Either or, don't presume to know someone based off third hand experiences.

The best you can do is take the available info and treat it in a matter befitting maturity and concise choices.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Not really relevant to anything unless you are the type that just groups certain people into a nice little box so you can label them... 

Like you and liberals/leftists/progressives? You're one of the worst offenders around so don't mind me thinking this statement is a "little" ironic.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
as a kid who grew up poor and works his ass off for everything I resent the idea of white male privilege

but if anyone gets the label it's this guy, but seriously take the idea of white male privilege and shove it up your rear end

what it really is is connected rich privilege more than anything
edit on 30-9-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Really?

I've known a lot of guys. I llke them. Tended to hang out with them.

Sort of sounded to me like this guy was a typical guy.

Of course, most of the guys I knew weren't elite prep school guys.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

So you’ve taken The privilege that he garnered from his parents financial success and have turned that into white male privilege. That might be the most racist thing I’ve ever heard. I am tired of hearing about white male privilege. In my opinion it is the equivalent of a white person calling a black person the N-word, or attributing any other stereotype to all black people.

In fact, this thread should be deleted for it’s racist headline.
edit on 30-9-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Kavenaugh is the embodiment of elite white male privildge IMHO & prepschool mentality

What color is Ford?

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Heaven forbid someone get a head start i life

While some of us have to kick our own asses to make anything....all our goals is to give our children this privilege. Stop looking over the neighbors fence taking inventory of what you dont have

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Fords family has some pretty strong and privileged connections as well. How the hell you think she paid for all those degrees? You think she took out student loans? Your bias is showing....

A2D

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

What you are describing in your OP could be said about any school and its members. You were literally just pointing out the worst attributes that some people have, and attributing that to anyone you don’t like. You clearly state that some people From prep schools are assholes, but not all of them. And then you clearly state that some people from public schools are assholes but not all of them. What is your point other than to say that Kavanagh has white male privilege. Other than Insinuatingthat you wish you had white male privilege. When what you were actually talking about is people who have financial means. Financial privilege is what you were talking about. I don’t think it’s any secret that people who have money have more privileges than those who do not

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I know a lot of people who went to schools like Kav

So if I say

I know a lot of people who are gay....

Or

I know a lot of people who are black...

Or

I know a lot of people who are women...

Then it’s OK for me to just spill out a bunch of stereo type bull# and not be called out on it?

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think some in society think because they are smart that they should be cool too. Sounds like some jealousy going in here

That’s every social group does that

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Here's the problem with your diatribe....

When I was in college I would have attributed all the stereotypes you where limiting about to ALL the people in a fraternity and sorority. There was no distinction between the ones that came from prep or public schools. In my opinion ALL the guys in the fraternity had a bad attitude towards women and others not in their fraternity. And ALL soritery girls where skanky party animals.

So you said you too where in a fraternity? Care to apologize and/or explaine the bad attitude that came from you and your brothers?
edit on 30-9-2018 by DanDanDat because: Spellonf

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hi school politics probably shouldn’t have any bearing on nominating supreme court justices .

Just saying .

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

So, the fact that these guys went to a private school allows you to lump every one of them into a group as being the same. I couldn't help but notice you managed to do a little virtue signalling for yourself in there as well as the "devils advocate". Are you a white guy? If so, I guess you've found redemption by setting those private school, white male privilege guys straight...This is about as racist as it gets. Funny, as long as it's a white male anything goes, don't you see the hypocrisy there?

edit on 30-9-2018 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sorry you went to school with a few rich kids who were dicks. It happens - probably to pretty much everyone everywhere.

Strangely enough it probably happens in Nigeria, in China and in India.

Is that also white privilege?

Is it hell it’s bad values and poor upbringing - and both are in plentiful supply all over this world.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
I think some in society think because they are smart that they should be cool too. Sounds like some jealousy going in here

That’s every social group does that

I got that feeling as well. If these guys were so despicable, why did you persist in hanging around with them? Oh, I forgot, you were playing "devils advocate".

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Oh look. More hate.

Class warfare, guilt by association and broad generalizations. The trifecta of modern fairness.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join