It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who deserves to get rescued?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is becoming a broken record, officials plead, beg, insist that people evacuate before storms.

Without fail, people are stubborn and say oh' i've been through this before so i'll be ok.
There was someone on FB asking for rescue as water was in their house, they were right by the coast.
It is one thing if something totally unexpected hits like a tornado, or even to some degree wildfires.
Hurricanes not so much. We've had a week of warnings. Everyone on the east coast knows they were at risk.

At what point do we say, NO?
Do we start charging for people that fail to heed the warnings?
Do we let people just sit there and die instead of risking the lives of responders?

Please do not say that people can't leave because they don't have money, there are shelters and transportation that was offered for free.
There were facilities for pets too. That is a sad excuse anyways, how do you think your pets will fare when water is up to your neck?

People have seemed to have lost their sense of responsibility and common sense these days.

Just a story for example:
I'm not even kidding when I say I read about a lady that wanted to get on her roof and cut some tree limbs that she had put off but now thinks the storm will push them to hit her house (the eye was just outside of her area). She was going to have her 10yr old and 14yr old help with ropes and she was going to climb on her roof, with hurricane force winds and try to use a chainsaw. The tree was gigantic too! Part of me feels really sorry for those kids but part of me think that's a good way to clear out the dumb gene pool.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh, and I'm not limiting this to natural disasters, we are talking about everything, like Opioid abuse too.
Should we rescue people, when everyone knows darn well what those can do now.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
This is becoming a broken record, officials plead, beg, insist that people evacuate before storms.

Without fail, people are stubborn and say oh' i've been through this before so i'll be ok.
There was someone on FB asking for rescue as water was in their house, they were right by the coast.
It is one thing if something totally unexpected hits like a tornado, or even to some degree wildfires.
Hurricanes not so much. We've had a week of warnings. Everyone on the east coast knows they were at risk.

At what point do we say, NO?
Do we start charging for people that fail to heed the warnings?
Do we let people just sit there and die instead of risking the lives of responders?

Please do not say that people can't leave because they don't have money, there are shelters and transportation that was offered for free.
There were facilities for pets too. That is a sad excuse anyways, how do you think your pets will fare when water is up to your neck?

People have seemed to have lost their sense of responsibility and common sense these days.

I'm not even kidding when I say I read about a lady that wanted to get on her roof and cut some tree limbs that she had put off but now thinks the storm will push them to hit her house (the eye was just outside of her area). She was going to have her 10yr old and 14yr old help with ropes and she was going to climb on her roof, with hurricane force winds and try to use a chainsaw. The tree was gigantic too! Part of me feels really sorry for those kids but part of me think that's a good way to clear out the dumb gene pool.

Either charge them for the rescue or just accept some people are going to die. In some ways we are turning into an idiocracy because we won't let idiots kill themselves ultimately diluting the gene pool.

I'm of the mindset, if they tell you to GTFO of town and you don't then you are on your own. With that said, there should be some options/processes for people to evacuate when their is a storm and they are indigent, etc.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I thought about this myself yesterday when I read a quote from a sheriff in one of the towns in the bullseye. He said "We are not going to put our personell in harm's way for people who didn't get out when they had the chance."

Which brought up conflicting states of mind for me. One the one hand, yeah, why should some little girl possibly not see her daddy that night, because he was sent in to rescue someone who didn't evacuate, and he perished trying to help them?

On the other hand, well what are taxpayers paying them for, then, if not emergencies? And did those people not choose their profession, knowing the risks?

What about house fires that start because someone falls asleep with a lit cigarette? Do we not send in firefighters because obviously that person ignored the warnings not to smoke in bed?
edit on 14-9-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
everybody should do what they should do.if you havent anything to do i guess you just sit and wait.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
How about, some of the benefits of living in America is getting rescued even if you are a dumb ass.
Geez. Glad you’re not in charge of FEMA.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I started thinking about this years ago when living on Mt Hood. A bunch of climbers needing a rescue for their choice put an entire crew and communities funds at risk to save them. There were deaths destruction of helicopter, everything and for what...? so someone could say they did it. No disaster needed

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
I thought about this myself yesterday when I read a quote from a sheriff in one of the towns in the bullseye. He said "We are not going to put our personell in harm's way for people who didn't get out when they had the chance."

Which brought up conflicting states of mind for me. One the one hand, yeah, why should some little girl possibly not see her daddy that night, because he was sent in to rescue someone who didn't evacuate, and he perished trying to help them?

On the other hand, well what are taxpayers paying them for, then, if not emergencies? And did those people not choose their profession, knowing the risks?

What about house fires that start because someone falls asleep with a lit cigarette? Do we not send in firefighters because obviously that person ignored the warnings not to smoke in bed?

Put it this way... lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. The issue with things like hurricanes is that people are given prior warning. In addition, it is a huge burden to public services to try to rescue folks during/after a hurricane when an entire town is screwed up.

House fires aren't really an apples to apples comparison. Rescuing someone, even if it is their own fault, isn't a huge burden when there is nothing else really going on. On the other hand, if a town has been devastated, rescuing someone who really shouldn't have needed rescuing in the first place is a burden.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

If I were in charge of Fema I would put first responders lives ahead of dummies that had a week to prepare.

At some point we have to stop saving people from themselves.

I think the benefit of living in America is that you have to choice to stay and ride out the storm, but then you deal with the consequences yourself. The fact that you think living in America means that you get to be dumb and be rescued over and over shows we are sliding down the wrong path!

We should have paid rescue teams, if you can't pay you don't get rescued. I'm sure the amount would go way down if it came out of people's own pockets.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I know, and I was joking.
I think we should send them a bill for the rescue.

Again, joking.

Why am I here?

Just to make jokes
Not joking

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Bottom line, people should not be punished just because they are effing retarded.

I'm sure they are nice wonderful people, but some are just stupid.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Rescuing innocent people is the compassionate thing to do. We are America.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Please do not say that people just don't have the money

a lady that wanted to get on her roof and cut some tree limbs that she had put off. She was going to have her 10yr old and 14yr old help with ropes and she was going to climb on her roof

But it always is about the money, if it wasn't she could paid someone else cut the tree limbs...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Rescuing innocent people is the compassionate thing to do. We are America.

We are pretty darned wonderful sometimes.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Know who doesn't deserve to get rescued?

www.rawstory.com...

This woman.
Her kids should be rescued, they don't know better because they were raised by an idiot.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Strength in numbers????? , darwin is going to have fun with her!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The Coast Guard will bill ya for being stupid especially if you go out of your way to prove it!!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

When did people start losing their sense of humanity?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

What about the sense of humanity for the first responders and their families?

I lived in a time when we did not have internet and we really didn't have much notice for hurricanes (I've been through several) Now there just isn't an excuse. I have yet to hear one good excuse why people fail to evacuate.

It's the same thing with smoking, or drugs. Should we feel sorry for people that smoke now, knowing how bad it is?
Yes, we need to love and care for each other, but part of that means not putting others in undue risk because of your own selfishness.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

First may I just say that those people who choose to do that job do so to help those in need. That's not the same thing as risk their lives to save someone from being stupid. Just because a person decided to be a cop, for example, does not mean they should EXPECT to be shot at. It means they are willing to try and help others who are being shot at. I'm sorry if you can't see the difference. People don't become an EMT to help someone who ODs on dope. They became an EMT to help someone that has a heart attack or something like that. The difference here is they choose these jobs to help or protect people involved in something they DID NOT cause themselves. If you're told to leave because something is coming your way that is a risk to your life and you ignore it, then so be it. They get paid to help those people get out of the way by offering to give whatever help they can. They don't get paid to die trying to save those too stupid to take responsibility for their own lives and leave. History is full of examples of people who die from being to stupid to act. I know it's only a movie, but how many times in those movies have you seen that person standing under a big building falling on them and not just move. Yes it does happen in real life. As much as I hate to go there, how many people died on 9/11 who had time to get out but didn't. Instead they just sat there waiting for a firefighter or a cop to come in and tell them to get out of the building. Hundreds of 911 calls were made from people who were below the impact asking for help. Do you really need someone to take you by the hand and lead you down the stairs? Yes I know that some of those 911 callers were told to stay put help is on the way. The thing is those operators thought those callers were trapped on or above the impact site. They had no idea that these callers were just too stupid to take the stairs. So in my opinion these people who need to be rescued should be required to pay the bill for that rescue. I live in Arizona and we have what's called the stupid motorist law. If refers to those people who think they can drive through a flooded WASH and get stuck. If rescue is called out to save someone who decided to drive through an area posted Do not cross when flooded, they are charged for the cost of that rescue. This should be the same thing. If you're going to be stupid I shouldn't have to pay the bill for it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join