It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who deserves to get rescued?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

People who vote the way I do. Everyone else can go die.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
define stupid. I think it's stupid to live on the coasts, or in california, or tornado alley,
by a nuclear plant....
but then a bunch of houses blow up for some unknown reason in an area you'd think was relatively safe.
so, don't know what to tell ya.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Imagine its your daughter. At what point do you say no?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

That's great and all but it simply doesn't hold up under examination. Why are we drawing the line at rescues but not other uses of our tax dollars? For example, I never wanted to get into another land war in Afghanistan. I mean, the entire concept is stupid. I'm sure there are compelling interests in the region that are well served by our intervention, but history has shown that invading armies do poorly regardless of technology or financial disparity. I'd love to be able to strike this expense -- as a line item -- from my taxes, but I can't. That's probably for the best as I wouldn't want to pay for executive getaways, political junket and fundraising expenses related to travel, hush money for the victims of congressional malfeasance, or wages and salary during public hearings over baseball, Facebook or dingbat Hillary's stupid emails. EVER.

So where does that leave us?

How about: you knew the job was dangerous when you took it (if you are a first responder) and if you don't want to pay someone to rescue your dumb (or poor and surrounded by water fellow citizens on Puerto Rico), you GTFO.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Ninety nine percent of the time living on the coast is a wonderful place to live. Boating, waves to swim in,fresh ocean fish. Sea breezes. I love it here. Been within two miles of the ocean since I was hatched in 1957.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Were they forced to become emergency workers or did they choose the job willingly?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Rescuing innocent people is the compassionate thing to do. We are America.

Rescuing innocent people is the right thing to do, you're right on that. Trouble is these clowns are not innocent. They were told to leave and basically just sat back and said I know my rights, you can't tell me what to do. I can stay if I want to this is my house. That's fine stay if you want, just don't come crying to me when you're neck deep in flood waters.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

I'm not religious but the line "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" from somewhere in the bible is still a good moral code to live by - regardless of religious beliefs or not.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Some people just aren't right in the head or stubborn. But should that be a death sentence?

We have FEMA, the armed services, etc. for a reason. It isn't just to save people who follow evacuation orders.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The footage I've seen today of rescues are tiny little old ladies who have to be assisted to even get in the vehicles.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
The footage I've seen today of rescues are tiny little old ladies who have to be assisted to even get in the vehicles.

Some would have them left there. It's their own fault they grew so old they couldn't care for themselves and evacuate.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My take is that they get rescued when it becomes safe enough to try.

Would be rescued persons:

Part of being a responsible member of society is being responsible in your actions.
edit on 9/14/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I agree to some extent with your statement. In Texas at least, (hurricane damned near every year), when people who live along the coast they are told to evacuate. As usual a few idiots try to weather the storm in place. And even on the barrier islands that line the coast. The local Sherrif's office sends out deputies pleading with people to leave and most do. But then it becomes obvious the tide's rising and the Deputies can make only one more trip out; they do and tell the people "leave now or die in place". They make no further attempts to get those people out and there are no rescue attempts for a simple reason.

They CAN'T! They have no way to get out to those barrier islands without being drowned and/or washed out to sea. And there's no criticism of their policies.

OTOH, we have storms like Harvey last year and Katrina where there's monumental flooding and people, through no fault of their own, find themselves trapped and isolated and islandized. Those people deserve to be rescued. No one foresaw that level of flooding; no one expected the levies to fail.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Yeah, but if the people who are the reason for these first responders having to be put in harm's way had every chance to get out, including evacuation means provided them, why are we asking for them to go on potential suicide runs for the people who decided to be stupid and ignore all their previous chances?

At what point is stupid is as stupid does?

Is there a clause on a first responders contract where it says that known suicide may be required? I am not talking about risking life and limb in what may become a hopeless situation for you and one you are trying to save, but actually having to go into a situation you know from the outset will kill you and the one you are trying to save but because they called and you signed up, you have to go die anyhow.

Even during the 9/11 disaster, those first responders had hope that they could evacuate even some of the people in those towers and no one they were trying to help put themselves in harm's way on purpose.
edit on 14-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Harvey and Katrina were somewhat different, but with Florence, they've been told ad nuaeum that they were going to get flooded catastrophically badly for days now.

And with Katrina, the local authorities dropped the ball badly IMO and didn't use every possible means prior to the storm to try to get people out (school buses).

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
How would we make a system on who to save and who not to save? Sounds like it would muck things up if responders have to go through a flow chart before they can get out and do what they trained to.

This storm is going to hit the Appalachia mountains pretty hard. No mandatory evacuations here, so we all have to go to work like everyone else.

This storm has been very hard to predict, and some of the localized rain in parts will be 20+ inches. For any communities in a valley, that could be devastating and it can hit very quick as the runoff from mountains can come into an area where the conditions don't appear to be that bad. Couple that with the fact this region has been getting good rain for the last week, the ground is saturated so the perfect storm is primed.

It doesn't always come down to stupidity, but rather circumstances.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Well, I'm all about personal responsibility so I say let them drown in their choices. We can't save everyone from themselves, and its questionable weather (pun intended) we should or not.

However,

Given the savior complex of the US gov, these people are a match made in heaven. The government gets to save idiots, use it for good PR, and justify their existence and the idiots get away with being....idiots yet again. Whats not to love about this arrangement?

edit on 14-9-2018 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
They said they wouldn't rescue in dangerous circumstances, or in the midst of the storm. They continue once the harm to rescuers is reduced.

Anybody who has a problem with that is an ass.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If you're stuck in an emergency because of circumstance, then, of course, you deserve the best someone can do for you, but if you've been told and told and told by authorities to "move because it's coming at you" or to "stay where you at because you gonna die if you don't" or something of that nature for days and you decided to ignore those warnings, how many people should be sacrificed because you didn't listen?

Look.

If I've been sitting here for the past week watching weathermen tell me that where I am sitting will be under 20 feet of water in seven days, and I do nothing ... if four days into that the local authorities all start issuing evacuation notices telling me that where I am sitting will be under 20 feet of water, and I do nothing ... if two days after that I've been watching all my neighbors pack up and leave hurriedly, the skies look really stormy, and the deputies are knocking frantically at my door pleading with me to leave because tomorrow where I am sitting will be under 20 feet of water, and I do nothing ... When 24 hours later I am on my roof watching the water lap around my ankles and screaming for help into my cell phone because the water is only getting rapidly higher because my roof isn't 20 feet high ... What do the first responders owe me?

How many warnings did I have from everyone that I ignored?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Or.............. just let them die.

Thank god all you people are powerless.

And the punitive actions! Let them die because they didn't obey!

They were warned and they didn't obey so they should die!

Jesus Christ.
edit on 9/14/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join