It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolgirl, 10, forces Kellogg's to change 'sexist' wording on boxes of Coco Pops

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Love the headlines too

She forced them

Then it says she wrote a letter and it convinced them to change it.

Where is the force?

That's true.

I reckon the parents told her what to write.. but I don't know. Children are being taught some strange things these days.
edit on CDTThu, 13 Sep 2018 12:16:52 -05000000003012x152x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

originally posted by: Athetos
She isn’t wrong, it’s a none issue to me I don’t care either way, it just makes sense from a marketing prospective to change it.

Also their political ideology isn’t stated nor do I think it’s pertinent to the issue.

It is pertinent to the issue because the 10 year old has obviously ben hearing and reading things coming from the pc left.

Like their parents? So you want kids to be indoctrinated in just your way? You know there are many.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Coco Puffs have been around for as long as I remember. That's back in the days where Mum was a housewife. Good days for a kid. It's about time they got with the times. Many men are homemakers now. They probably got this and thought, "Hmm, good idea." Nothing about politics. Just good marketing.

So, it took a 10 year old to tell them what's good for marketing? Someone should be sacked and the 10 year old given a job.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Maybe the ten year old saw it themselves?
My child saw differences in adverts when he was younger than that. 'Iceland' a frozen grocery store, used to say 'mum's prefer Iceland ' and my son asked me why I shopped there when he was younger than 10, and yes it pissed me off.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

She isn’t wrong, it’s a none issue to me I don’t care either way, it just makes sense from a marketing prospective to change it.

Also their political ideology isn’t stated nor do I think it’s pertinent to the issue.

It is pertinent to the issue because the 10 year old has obviously ben hearing and reading things coming from the pc left.

Like their parents? So you want kids to be indoctrinated in just your way? You know there are many.

Children is the correct word here.. kids are offspring of goats!

Anyway, I think children should not be indoctrinated in any way really. They should be left to be children and just know what's right and wrong. No need to teach them about 'sexism' or 'sex' at such a young age because not everyone's version of 'sexism' is 'sexism'. This is just a wording on a cereal packet! When I ate cereal as a child, I didn't look for 'sexist' undertones written on the packet, I just ate my breakfast!

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Anyway, I think children should not be indoctrinated in any way really. They should be left to be children and just know what's right and wrong. No need to teach them about 'sexism' or 'sex' at such a young age because not everyone's version of 'sexism' is 'sexism'. This is just a wording on a cereal packet! When I ate cereal as a child, I didn't look for 'sexist' undertones written on the packet, I just ate my breakfast!

Some children are really bright, and think about things. Other children can barely keep the drool from falling out of their mouths. That’s just the way it is.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

So, they replace the truth (because dad's CAN make breakfast) with a lie (no, most parents probably think that Cocoa Puffs are garbage food [or dried rabbit turds], just convenient in the morning).

All because of a little girl.

Honestly, though--who cares?

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered making a thread about this... I can see it's upset a lot of people.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Some children are really bright, and think about things. Other children can barely keep the drool from falling out of their mouths. That’s just the way it is.

I can even see how this went down.

"Daddy, do you approve of my coco puffs"?

"What?"

"It's says "Mom approved" but you give me my cereal."

"Huh. You're right. Maybe send them a letter."

No political ideology there. Unless one is against free thinking.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
i can only wonder what will go through little orphan timmys head as the new " improved " cereal boxes are passed around the orphanage dining hall ?

Exactly! The poor child has no parents but he or she will be reading that box and getting upset... possibly.

That's what I meant in my Op when i mentioned the girl didn't think this through properly.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

No, it's good you made the thread because it challenges that bull# that only females raise kids.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Osirisvset

Lol yes A2D seems to be emotionally invested in this and apparently speaks for everyone.
As a father who had legal joint parental responsibility I massively agree with the girl, it has been mother biased for too long in this century.

Mother and baby rooms are a good example of it, having to change my child's nappy/daiper in a pissy mens toilet was the classic.
Yes we should challenge these gender stereotypes.

But when you see a sign which reads 'mother and baby room' does it really bother you that much? You can still go in there, it's just a sign. It doesn't mean 'you can't go in there because you are a man with a baby'. But yes, i agree it should be changed to 'Parents and babies' or whatever

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
You agree then.
How much it bothers me is/was irrelevant, my point stands, and you agree.
Excellent.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
You agree then.
How much it bothers me is/was irrelevant, my point stands, and you agree.
Excellent.

For this reason, i think the sign on the room should be changed to 'parents with babies' , I would chasnge it because it would be a wider scope of people who would feel kinda left out but i really couldn't care less about wording on a packet of cereal which really wasn't there to offend Fathers who gave their children cereal in the morning. This is just one person... a vey miniscule minority. Did anyone else complain over the years? Nope!
edit on CDTThu, 13 Sep 2018 12:24:14 -05000000003012x114x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It's the whole package of gender roles in my opinion and 'mum' doesn't get a free pass for anything except pregnancy and childbirth, after that we are all equal.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Chip chip cheerio good chap, don't get your knickers in a twist. It was just a joke. I solemnly believe that both triggered sides in these stupid arguments take things way too seriously.

I think the change is actually a well thought out, middle ground decision, the world has changed and dad can take the role of primary caregiver equally as well as mom. Who does what in a family, is up to the unique needs and wants of each family. However, I also believe that anyone who gets mad at an advertising slogan, is a weak ninny. Whether you are getting mad because the slogan has changed to be more inclusive or your raging that the original was not inclusive enough. Either way it is just an ad slogan designed to manipulate you into buying something.

Side One- Approved by someone, somewhere.....maybe?

"Now that the slogan has changed to parent approved. We must think of those without parents. So how about family approved. But wait...some people do not have families. I personally know someone who was born in a test tube and who grew up in an orphanage. Plus I once read a book where a young boy was raised by wolves. We can not be insensitive to test tube wolf babies. Now can we?"

Side Two- Oh the horrors.

"Rawwrrrr! How dare they change something I got used too. I must rage and gnash my teeth. Children can not develop an opinion of their own. The soul appears at conception but the brain does not fully develop until someone is thirty seven years old and set in their ways. So they must be brainwashing the children. I am the only one who is supposed to brainwash the children. Rawwrrr!"

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What's next? We gonna write a letter to the NAACP and ask them to change their name to the National Association for the Advancement of People? Get outta here with your crybaby nonsense.

Just like when people got a bug up their bum over the Washington redskins...or the Indiana braves... or the Kennesaw State University owl mascot named Hooter.

It's not racist, sexist, demeaning or whatever else you might think it is.... get real.

A2D
edit on 13-9-2018 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
i thought it was something huge.

BUT i bet the guys at cocopuffs were like, 'oh yeah, lets switch it...'

the girl just noticed something could be improved, so they improved it.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

That little girl does have a point.

That label on there was specifically designed to have an impact. It's not like the words were on the box magically. It was put on there to generate sales. Who traditionally does the shopping? Women. So who were those words targeting? Women.

Was it sexist? Maybe. At least the little girl was smart enough to notice.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Good job my knickers are not in a twist then.
I escaped such a trauma lol

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Melen
Seriously, screw all you people with the "lefties" bull#. That's all you barely intelligent people can come up with these days. You literally turn everything into a left/right issue. That says more about you than this kid. I must be missing in this article where it states the parents are "lefties". Oh, right, it's not there. You're just making # up, like most of you "righties" do.

Incidentally, this "leftie" thinks this whole thing is stupid, but I wouldn't want to mess up your idiotic political narrative, now would I?

Seriously, screw all you people with the "righties" bull#. "That's all you barely intelligent people" can come up with these days. You literally turn everything into a right/left issue. That says more about you than this kid. I must be missing in this thread where everyone on the right states the parents are "lefties". Oh, right, it's not there. You're just making # up, like most of you "lefties" do.

Incidentally, this patriot thinks this whole thing is stupid, but I wouldn't want to mess up your idiotic political backlash, now would I?

Riddle me this... Who's more prone to doing something like this? Dems or Republicans? I mean, recent history pretty much shows how butthurt and petty "lefties" are.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join