It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration using Federal Disability law to disenfranchise minority voters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

get out of my head.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

The point of the OP was to highlight that the enforcement of the ADA was disproportionately being applied in a strategic manner specifically to hurt the voters in areas where their local governments wouldn't be able to comply with the ADA violations. Rather than accommodate or help them fix this issue (as the DOJ did in your reference with the Navajo Nation), they are licking their lips at the prospect that folks who work 2 jobs will have to drive hours to get to their polling places now (which means a sizable amount of them just won't be able to vote).

LOL! Drive hours to get to a polling station?! You're hilarious!

Randolph County has approximately 7,700 people in it. They're planning on consolidating the polling locations. How difficult could it be? Whatever money the county doesn't have to make repairs to the existing buildings they can use to provide transportation to one of the existing polling locations. Done. How hard is that? Oh, yeah, I forgot I was speaking to leftist with no critical thinking skills.

edit on 23-8-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: shooterbrody

The voting rights act being gutted was a conservative imperative, and has nothing to do with whatever president was in power when it was gutted. The vote in the SC on it was straight down party lines.

The point of the OP was to highlight that the enforcement of the ADA was disproportionately being applied in a strategic manner specifically to hurt the voters in areas where their local governments wouldn't be able to comply with the ADA violations. Rather than accommodate or help them fix this issue (as the DOJ did in your reference with the Navajo Nation), they are licking their lips at the prospect that folks who work 2 jobs will have to drive hours to get to their polling places now (which means a sizable amount of them just won't be able to vote).

Did the voting rights act make exceptions for polling places that were not ADA compliant?

The op specifically noted that the Trump DOJ settled suits rather than closing polling places, and I quoted your op in that instance, or did you not read your own bs hit piece?
Interesting you left that nugget out and refuse to acknowledge it.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I'm having a hard time rationalizing why its righteous/moral/good to go back to the Jim Crow days where government actively worked to harm/hamper/reduce minority votes.
A look back in history makes it seem like we have never left those 'good ole days'.

We have a serious problem with our democratic process and it is nothing new. From gerrymandering to countless tactics of voter suppression to stealing electronic votes. I wonder if we will ever learn.

edit on 8/23/2018 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

The ADA was used to enforce handicap accesible options be placed on all public buildings.

Now you are saying what, this law was purposefully placed to put an undue burden on all poor people?

So no doubt you advocate the repeal of the ADA then?

In these rural areas polling locations aren't always in public locations. I advocate for the reinstatement of the voting rights act so that federal money would correct these situations in low income areas, as I have been a proponent of eliminating ANY inequality when it comes to voting access.

Yes the law that was being used to stop voter ID laws.

I myself find the notion black people are to incompetent to get an ID racist, but I guess I am not progressive enough to treat black people as inferior.

Rather, its more likely you're not as clever as you think you are and are either subconsciously biased or willfully a lot more evil than you let on.

Your right, I am probably not as clever as i think I am.

but to find out I am evil because I dont think blacks are too incompetent to get id's, thats a new one.

My god!

Do you see all of those evil black people on that video saying you should have an id to vote?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Yeah I live in a rural mostly white area in PA.

I know people that have to drive half an hour to vote. Even further to get to a DMV to get an ID! And the dmv is only open one day a week!

Damn these anti white racist voting laws!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
So they have to close because they aren’t in line with the ADA? And that’s trumps fault how?

How the heck are you folks failing to grasp this extremely simple concept? like I don't know how to put it any simpler:

Usually when that happens, it turns out that the person making the point and expressing confusion over how few people "grasp" it is the one in error. Perhaps part of the problem is that you're applying a far too simple concept to an issue far too complex to be addressed by pedestrian simplicity.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
Yes while they are at it, we need to prevent hacking at the polls by Russian, Iran and Chinese hackers. Therefore, we need to implement Voter ID and fast!
How does ID of any kind stop a hacker?
Perhaps this is sarcasm in which case this is indeed funny.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I know people that have to drive half an hour to vote. Even further to get to a DMV to get an ID! And the dmv is only open one day a week!

If you have to pay for ID to vote then it is unconstitutional. I would think it likewise if it were extraordinarily difficult to get an ID like drive hours to a DMV that is closed 6 days a week, but that's just my opinion. It's not a black/white thing. It's a constitutional thing, always has been.
edit on 8/23/2018 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So here's the real issue: many voting locations are in schools. This is telling me that a lot of schools aren't accommodating to disabled people......

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

People who currently vote at the polling places that would close under the proposal would have to travel an additional 10 miles to vote, the ACLU says.

www.ajc.com...

It doesn't get much more oppressing than that!! (/s)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

So here's the real issue: many voting locations are in schools. This is telling me that a lot of schools aren't accommodating to disabled people......

How many schools do you think they have in Randolph County, GA?

Of the 3,187 households, 29.3% had children under the age of 18

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
thinkprogress.org...
from your link

Had the U.S. Supreme Court not gutted the Voting Rights Act in 2013, the closures would most likely have been blocked by the Department of Justice.

Did the voting rights act, "gutted in 2013" (3 years prior to trump being elected), provide polling places be excluded from the ADA?
oh wait this has happened before trump was elected
again from your link...

In the ten years before Trump took office, the Justice Department settled just nine ADA enforcement actions related to polling locations.

so obamas administraion participated in this type of activity as well???
say it aint so joe....

oh wait there is more
again from your link

Shortly before the 2016 election, the DOJ sent representatives to visit Navajo Nation chapter houses that serve as polling locations in Coconino County and found that almost none were ADA-compliant. The Trump DOJ took on the work and Coconino County eventually settled instead of closing any of its polls, agreeing to “provide an accessible voting program, including a program that is accessible to persons with mobility or vision disabilities and accessible polling places at accessible sites,” according to settlement documents.

the trump doj settled instead of closing polling places????
that is almost the opposite of your tread title isnt it?

The thread-killer has arrived. Boy Howdy.

And how many of these polling places are in liberal inner cities? Ran by... guess who?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

If you have to pay for ID to vote then it is unconstitutional. I would think it likewise if it were extraordinarily difficult to get an ID like drive hours to a DMV that is closed 6 days a week, but that's just my opinion. It's not a black/white thing. It's a constitutional thing, always has been.

every voter ID bill I have heard about offers free state issues ID's for any and all who would need them. The argument was that Black folks weren't able to navigate to the places to get the free ID. In reality, needing an ID to vote hampers the ability to fudge votes, and cheat.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The ADA was used to enforce handicap accesible options be placed on all public buildings.

Now you are saying what, this law was purposefully placed to put an undue burden on all poor people?

It could be worse... They could have gone something like :

Trump refuses to close Non-ADA complaint voter stations, suppresses handicap voting !

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I am trying to grasp what is being implied and its funny how left leaning people keep stepping on their peckers.

On the face I can see what the OP is saying, if you ignore everything else you can reach the conclusion that they are oppressing minority voters.

But as soon as you read these stations are not ADA compliant the argument shifts, because a strong argument can be made that handicap people have a history that is much darker than any other group of people in the worlds history.

So it almost looks like the OP is in favor of oppressing a minority group he doesn't care about over another group that they obviously think is more important.
Lotta hills out there I could see standing on and dying for... this particular hill is not one of them.

link   

The voting rights act being gutted was a conservative imperative, and has nothing to do with whatever president was in power when it was gutted. The vote in the SC on it was straight down party lines.

But your OP is all about how bad Trump is for doing this. It seems your FAKE NEWS missed the mark.

link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

And how many of these polling places are in liberal inner cities? Ran by... guess who?

how many and who?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Did the voting rights act make exceptions for polling places that were not ADA compliant?

The op specifically noted that the Trump DOJ settled suits rather than closing polling places, and I quoted your op in that instance, or did you not read your own bs hit piece?
Interesting you left that nugget out and refuse to acknowledge it.

I actually directly referenced the Navajo payoff by Trump DOJ you doof.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

In these rural areas polling locations aren't always in public locations. I advocate for the reinstatement of the voting rights act so that federal money would correct these situations in low income areas, as I have been a proponent of eliminating ANY inequality when it comes to voting access.

Yes the law that was being used to stop voter ID laws.

I myself find the notion black people are to incompetent to get an ID racist, but I guess I am not progressive enough to treat black people as inferior.

Rather, its more likely you're not as clever as you think you are and are either subconsciously biased or willfully a lot more evil than you let on.

Your right, I am probably not as clever as i think I am.

but to find out I am evil because I dont think blacks are too incompetent to get id's, thats a new one.

My god!

Do you see all of those evil black people on that video saying you should have an id to vote?

IF you are evil its because of rampant use of logical fallacies in your arguments. I know you are clever enough to understand them so their use implies a dishonest approach to our debate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join