It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration using Federal Disability law to disenfranchise minority voters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Looks like Trump and Co. are at it again (those rascals!) , this time with a clever use of the American's with Disabilities Act to target polling location closures exclusively in heavily minority areas.

In summation, the act requires that polling locations meet a variety of standards to accommodate those with disabilities, and the Trump Justice dept. is arguing that by not complying with this law these various minority heavy polling locations are to be shuttered. The argument is that because they are not accommodating enough to those with disabilities, then the location must close and nobody gets to vote at a nearby voting location. Of course, you'll be shocked to hear that low income area's rarely have the funds to renovate these various locations to meet the letter of the law, ergo they are impartially effected and clearly the primary recipients of the malfeasance architected by likely either very conniving or very racists individuals.

Summary Reference Article

This is of course recently made possible by the Supreme Court decision to gut the voting rights act: Are we really that shocked?

I'm having a hard time rationalizing why its righteous/moral/good to go back to the Jim Crow days where government actively worked to harm/hamper/reduce minority votes. I can understand those with the vitriol and hatred of opposing political parties can rationalize why in their minds it may be good to disenfranchise those voters who are likely to vote against your wishes, but I can't logic some moral imperative that allows one to view it as a good act rather than a despicable action rationalized as good for the purpose of self service.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes while they are at it, we need to prevent hacking at the polls by Russian, Iran and Chinese hackers. Therefore, we need to implement Voter ID and fast!

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

So you're accusing minorities of prejudice against the disabled?

Wow, really doubling down huh...

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

So you're accusing minorities of prejudice against the disabled?

Wow, really doubling down huh...

Wow, so you're commenting on the OP without actually reading the reference articles (or even the OP for that matter).

Boy howdy you sure showed me!

SAD!

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So they have to close because they aren’t in line with the ADA? And that’s trumps fault how?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
You do realize Jim Crow laws were institutionalized by the Democratic Party right? Otherwise, it's funny how a long standing law, which these places have ignored for years, and now being enforced, is spun towards preventing minorities from voting. Handicap folks are a minority, and the Hypocrisy in your post is self evident to anyone with a lick of common sense. It's okay though, the Democrats are busy scrubbing the updated Cemetery lists to update their voting rolls. It all they got LEFT...

Here's a Jam which will articulate their strategy...

Turn the Bass up on this one...
youtu.be...

"Straight Hustlas Caught Up in The Whirlwind..."

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
So they have to close because they aren’t in line with the ADA? And that’s trumps fault how?

How the heck are you folks failing to grasp this extremely simple concept? like I don't know how to put it any simpler:

Trump wants black/minority voters who likely won't vote R to not vote at all. They find a way to prevent them from voting through a law that only effects minority polling locations.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretsoftheBlueApples
You do realize Jim Crow laws were institutionalized by the Democratic Party right? Otherwise, it's funny how a long standing law, which these places have ignored for years, and now being enforced, is spun towards preventing minorities from voting. Handicap folks are a minority, and the Hypocrisy in your post is self evident to anyone with a lick of common sense. It's okay though, the Democrats are busy scrubbing the updated Cemetery lists to update their voting rolls. It all they got LEFT...

Here's a Jam which will articulate their strategy...

Turn the Bass up on this one...
youtu.be...

"Straight Hustlas Caught Up in The Whirlwind..."

Oh boy I've got some bad news for you Boyo, but those Dixiecrats that spurned Jim Crow laws became the modern Republican party. I didn't take you for the kind of person that can be fooled so easily.

Secondly, long standing law? Did you also mouth off before actually reading the OP (because the dissolution of the voting rights act that I linked spells out why this is now suddenly possible).

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well that would hurt him too? More Black and Hispanic voters are jumping off the Democratic Plantation than ever before. He's getting a 36% approval rating from Black voters (almost doubling his initial support), that pretty good from someone who is suppose to be the ultimate racist!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

Well that would hurt him too? More Black and Hispanic voters are jumping off the Democratic Plantation than ever before. He's getting a 36% approval rating from Black voters (almost doubling his initial support), that pretty good from someone who is suppose to be the ultimate racist!

I think you need to check your math there.

A simple example.

Trump gets 35% of minority vote, Democrats get 65%

If you reduce the total minority vote by 50%, then trump loses %17.5 of his vote count, while a Democrat candidate loses 32.5% of their vote count. Can you see now who this helps/hurts more?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
thinkprogress.org...
from your link

Had the U.S. Supreme Court not gutted the Voting Rights Act in 2013, the closures would most likely have been blocked by the Department of Justice.

Did the voting rights act, "gutted in 2013" (3 years prior to trump being elected), provide polling places be excluded from the ADA?
oh wait this has happened before trump was elected
again from your link...

In the ten years before Trump took office, the Justice Department settled just nine ADA enforcement actions related to polling locations.

so obamas administraion participated in this type of activity as well???
say it aint so joe....

oh wait there is more
again from your link

Shortly before the 2016 election, the DOJ sent representatives to visit Navajo Nation chapter houses that serve as polling locations in Coconino County and found that almost none were ADA-compliant. The Trump DOJ took on the work and Coconino County eventually settled instead of closing any of its polls, agreeing to “provide an accessible voting program, including a program that is accessible to persons with mobility or vision disabilities and accessible polling places at accessible sites,” according to settlement documents.

the trump doj settled instead of closing polling places????
that is almost the opposite of your tread title isnt it?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

And he won with just 17% now he has 36%. Math? no?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Yep, the ADA, a democratic cheered for policy.

Says all polling places have to be handicap accessible.

SO I could rewrite the thread with this title

"democrats complain that trump is closing down polls that wont accommodate minorities with disabilities"

Yes those democratic rascals; always trying to force blacks that are disabled to not be able to vote!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
good lord, talk about reaching to twist facts to suit an agenda.

first off is it not disenfranchising voters if due to a polling station not being accessible to them they do not get to vote? so why no concern about that? seriously the only diabolical thing here is the fact that they are not obeying the laws in regards to the handicapped. not that the government is taking action to INSURE that people are NOT being disenfranchised due to the facilities not following the legal standards, to be fully accessible to the handicapped.

the easiest solution of course would just be to move the polling to a place that is accessible to the legal standards. there must be some places in those areas that are accessible? or are you telling me that those whole areas need to be dealt with for failing to provide proper accessibility for handicapped people?

and why can those areas not use some of their collected tax money to deal with the issue? after all i would think a polling place would be public property, ie property funded by taxes.

heck if nothing else, why not just set up go fund me type things and raise the money that way? after all they seem to bring in up to hundreds of thousands of dollars for all sorts of idiotic liberal and democrat things. why not actually fund something worthwhile?

why do i suspect that if the headline read something like Trump refuses to hold polling station standards to the laws regaurding handicapped accessability, disenfranchising voters in ethnic communities", that you would have been just as upset, and arguing for dealing with those issues and damming Trump over it? seriously with Trump Derangement Syndrome it really does not matter what Trump or the government under him does, or does not do on any given thing, he is automatically in the wrong.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

So trump had the buildings built decades ago?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

Because the low income areas local governments can't afford to renovate the polling locations to bring them up to spec.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: generik

Because the low income areas local governments can't afford to renovate the polling locations to bring them up to spec.

Criminals like cohen and mccabe get hundreds of thousands of dollars on their go fund me pages.

But people cant come up with money to make sure their are wheel chair ramps for disable people to get to vote?

Instead they politicize it and claim its trump trying to keep black people from voting.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

The voting rights act being gutted was a conservative imperative, and has nothing to do with whatever president was in power when it was gutted. The vote in the SC on it was straight down party lines.

The point of the OP was to highlight that the enforcement of the ADA was disproportionately being applied in a strategic manner specifically to hurt the voters in areas where their local governments wouldn't be able to comply with the ADA violations. Rather than accommodate or help them fix this issue (as the DOJ did in your reference with the Navajo Nation), they are licking their lips at the prospect that folks who work 2 jobs will have to drive hours to get to their polling places now (which means a sizable amount of them just won't be able to vote).

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Could also been a spin up by the left on the real reasons, couldn't it?

They're so good at it.
edit on 23/8/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

And he won with just 17% now he has 36%. Math? no?

I'm not sure what you think you're cleverly demonstrating here other than ability to type numbers on a keyboard....

That 36% is a fictional number based on assumptive data. Its not a hard figure like the actual 17% he got during the election.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join