It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanic temple sparks uproar by unveiling statue of Baphomet in Arkansas state capitol

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
So apparently offensive statues are only okay if you're trolling the Christians.

Don't be melodramatic. If one religion can have a statue right there, so can another. Or better for all to remain secular and have no religious statues.

The Baph is to make YOU question why one should stand and not the other.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That would be nice. Imagine how much the city could benefit from a sculpture park, Shiva, flying spaghetti monster, Zeus, ...so many you have to work your way through like a labyrinth until you can find hidden in the middle the capitol building.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What would the reaction be if someone erected a perfectly respectful statue of Mohammed, in the name of atheism?

They argue for freedom of religion and seperation of church and state, but then say they are atheists, so how can this be an expression of freedom of religion or anything like that?

Their intention is to offend other peoples beliefs, so their actions don't seem to meld with their stated goals.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
So apparently offensive statues are only okay if you're trolling the Christians.

Don't be melodramatic. If one religion can have a statue right there, so can another. Or better for all to remain secular and have no religious statues.

The Baph is to make YOU question why one should stand and not the other.

No I totally agree, that was my point. I say let ALL these beautiful pieces of art remain cemented and immortalized in its glory.

edit on 17-8-2018 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Personally, I think that statue on the alter in the Vatican is waaaaaaaaaaaay more creepy, they should have just rolled that one out for sh!t & giggles.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

edit on 17-8-2018 by knowledgehunter0986 because: Oops

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Oh no-a statue of a man goat-Should I be worried? Nah, Some person spray painted the words 'Cosa Nostra' on a building wall and after reading it I suddenly became a member of the Sicilian mafia.

Who cares a lot about these over sized trinkets? I'm agnostic but I wouldn't go nuts if an effigy of Jesus was built in the town square. Sure he's no space wizard like Obi Wan but as long as the fanatics behave then I would be OK with it.
edit on 17-8-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Their intention is to offend other peoples beliefs, so their actions don't seem to meld with their stated goals.

They stated their intentions, you think they are something else. Either way, what does the intentions change?

So an area is majority Christian, and they put a Christian statue at the state building implying it is intertwined with government. Can you not see how that could offend non Christians? It doesn't matter if the Christians intended to offend, the outcome is still the same.

So they did the same to prove a point.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

What would the reaction be if someone erected a perfectly respectful statue of Mohammed, in the name of atheism?

Well they'd all look like this one below lol

a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

The Sculpture Garden of Superstition, I love it.

link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Maybe because one of them symbolises the rules our countries are based on and the morals our culture has developed around.

The other symbolises evil.

I wonder why we don't usually have Baphomet statues lying around, hmmm.

link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I'm agnostic but I wouldn't go nuts if an effigy of Jesus was built in the town square. Sure he's no space wizard like Obi Wan but as long as the fanatics behave then I would be OK with it.

I am too, none of it bothers me, because I'm comfortable enough in my beliefs that those of others do not sway my own.

That said, some people take ideology more seriously, and get offended by things the government does. I understand that sentiment as you feel their could be favoritism in the works.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

Maybe because one of them symbolises the rules our countries are based on and the morals our culture has developed around.

The other symbolises evil.

I wonder why we don't usually have Baphomet statues lying around, hmmm.

Christianity does not hold the monopoly to rules and morals. Some of the founding fathers were believers, and others weren't. Believe it or not, you can make rules and morals for a country without interjecting religion into it... In fact, I think it is those who govern with religion who struggle with rules and morals more, it's harder to tell your government they are wrong if they are "divine".
edit on 17-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

Nice quote.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

They're using metaphors to make a point. They don't worship evil. They don't believe in evil. The 'Satan' is a metaphor to make people ask questions. There should be NO religious statues over there. Think about it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Long time no see

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm a Christian, and I'm not in an uproar. There are emotionally charged extremists in about every sphere, that generally don't have a proper focus. Here's a Christian perspective.

The world of the apostles' day was filled with idols. There is no false god more false than another, only one God. Those dead idols and false gods were preached against, to inform people of the true and living God. Christians didn't go around, tearing down infrastructure. There isn't one whit difference between some idol worshiper and a generic unbeliever: all those not born of the Spirit are dead in trespasses and sins, and are, by default, children of the devil. This is Christian theology of scripture. Hebrews 12 is even clear that, if you're not a child of God, you're a bastard.

The damned are the damned, the saved the saved. Neither is there some Satanic statue that rises to any level of wickedness that exceeds a television situation comedy, that makes light of things like drunkenness or homosexuality. What is called "the world" of scripture, the temporal things of the flesh people live for and covet, this is the devil's system. Simply common sense, I challenge anybody to tell me what the difference is between somebody going to hell for being a drunk, or going to hell over some idol statue, going to hell for not believing there's a devil, as opposed to going to hell for worshiping the devil. Therefore, what wickedness is there, that damns, of any stripe, that is not offensive? If you're in an uproar over some dead idol, why aren't you in an uproar over all things sinful that, in fact, you probably feed yourself a steady diet of, on your TV? Also, to you Christians, what on earth are you expecting of the world? What does scripture teach about the world? In an uproar, why? Were you born yesterday, just learned there's a devil?

So, I don't get the uproar part. Sin is sin. None of it is pretty. And the Bible even has a statement as to the status of the unrepentant versus the repentant:

Revelation 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

I would also go as far as to say one thing for the Satanists, that at least they know and declare where they stand, aren't wholly blind little dupes of Satan, that don't even believe he exists, that are programmed to go to hell by a television tube that tells them how to live for the world, the flesh and the devil. At least the Satanist declares something, is smart enough to know something, as opposed to people that are simply blind, poor, brainwashed slobs of materialism, that one could say this to, "You don't know anything. If you knew you don't know anything, at least you'd know something. But you don't."

Revelation 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

In other words, the smarmy little atheist fools, that mock the things of God, may as well be bent over that Baphomet idol 24x7, also. Hell and the lake of fire are just that, equal opportunity damnation, and it won't much matter, at that point, what got all of you there. Put it this way. Just what's the uproar over one way to be damned, over any other?

In addition, if letting Satanists do their thing means Christians can also do our thing, then bring on the Satanists, as the last thing I want, as a Christian, is government mucking in religion. You government people? Collect your taxes and bribes, fix potholes, and just stay the hell out of what people are free to believe, to each his own. And Christian? Your job is to bring the gospel, then move along, where the unrepentant are concerned, not start tearing stuff down or force anything on anybody. Christianity is not a faith of compulsion. There is not a single case in the New Testament of Christians engaging in prosecuting lawful sin, and that which is unlawful is the job of government to prosecute. It's the Lord's job to tear down the devil's world, in His time, not yours, and the Lord Jesus did not spend five minutes on the politics of the world. Romans 12:19, Mark 6:11, Mark 12:17.

Is a person even a Christian, that's obsessed with mucking in the affairs of the world? John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Dammit, Charlie Hebdo is at it again!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Dammit, Charlie Hebdo is at it again!

Heheheh

It'd be the stealthiest protest in history with none of the targets ever knowing they'd been protested!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join