It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanic temple sparks uproar by unveiling statue of Baphomet in Arkansas state capitol

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Satanic temple sparks uproar by unveiling statue of goat-headed, winged creature called Baphomet in Arkansas state capitol (Article title was snipped for space issues for the thread title)
The (atheist) Satanic Temple is at it again. Trolling Christian hypocrisy when it comes to freedom of religion laws. This time they erected a temporary statue of Baphomet outside of the State Capitol in Little Rock, AK near a monument of the Ten Commandments then had a celebration around. They then sent letters to legislators pleading their case that the Baphomet statue should remain if the Ten Commandment statue remains. Those letters went unanswered.

Instead Christians started a counter protest and a leading Republican politician condemned it as "offensive". Seems to me, these Christians need a safe space to go have a good cry. I don't see how the Satanic Temple did anything illegal or wrong. Plus, it's not like anything will change. Christians will continue to unconstitutionally keep that monument to the Christian religion up while not letting other religions erect any, because these people don't know the definition of irony.

Satan worshippers turned out to cheer the unveiling of a bronze statue dedicated to a goat-headed, winged creature called Baphomet in Little Rock, Arkansas.

The Satanic Temple organisation arranged the rally outside the Arkansas State Capitol building to protest a Ten Commandments monument already on the grounds.

Although the striking, eight-and-a-half foot tall icon was only allowed to be on display temporarily, Satanists argued they should be allowed to erect the winged-goat effigy on a permanent basis under freedom of religion rights outlined in the US constitution.

Satanic Arkansas co-founder Ivy Forrester, one of the rally organisers, said: “If you’re going to have one religious monument up then it should be open to others, and if you don’t agree with that then let’s just not have any at all.”

The display inspired a counter protest by Christian activists, while a leading Republican politician in the state condemned the Satanic icon as “offensive”.

Not one of Arkansas’ legislators responded to a letter sent by the Satanic Temple urging them to make Baphomet a lasting feature in Little Rock, according to KATV News.

edit on 17-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+31 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I was under the impression that any statue or monument that people found offensive, it was okay to tear down.

Now I'm against that, being that I don't like book burners myself.

But I'm just a little surprised that no one has taken that approach.

Go figure.

*shrugs*

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I think it is just smart for the government to stay secular so that we don't have any of this nonsense getting in the way of real issues.

Religious freedoms are what makes this country great, but that doesn't give you the freedom to put your monuments at state buildings.(Any religion)

Do a religious march or protest, that's fine, just make sure you do so while following the rules.
edit on 17-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I am so going to ask them to put in a Cthulhu monument which, if I know my Lord and Savior, will eat the other monuments.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Ironic that Baphomet, the Sabbatic Goat can represent "the universe in the form of binary opposites" ... here we have a monument with the 10 Commandments on it, along with a statue of Baphoment nearby. One of these is paying homage to a belief in a monotheistic deity, and another paying homage to disbelief in a God or Gods in general

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Top level trolling by the Satanists. They're not really into selling souls and fighting besides demons. It's more to do with arguing for a rational world...or against irrationality. Pity they picked old Baph as a symbol because it makes so many people twitch. Doubly so in a State where many still believe Creationism should be taught in science classes.

Their key tenets:

Tenets
There are seven fundamental tenets.

* One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
* The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
* One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
* The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
* Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
* People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and remediate any harm that may have been caused.
* Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

thesatanictemple.com...

Yep, they're basically atheists which I understand is code for 'hellspawn scum' in the eyes of the WASP community and practising Christians.

ETA -

edit on 8.17.2018 by Kandinsky because: Added video for new readers

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Ironic that Baphomet, the Sabbatic Goat can represent "the universe in the form of binary opposites" ... here we have a monument with the 10 Commandments on it, along with a statue of Baphoment nearby. One of these is paying homage to a belief in a monotheistic deity, and another paying homage to disbelief in a God or Gods in general

That's what happens when asstards need to interject their religion into the public square and the politicians let them because: votes.

edit on 17-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Atheists, satanists, choose one. They are not the same.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FamCore

That's what happens when asstards need to interject their religion into the public square and the politicians let them because: votes.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
Atheists, satanists, choose one. They are not the same.

The vast majority of Satanists are non-theistic.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

These sure are funny times in which we live...

I'd rather have the statue of Baphoment actually...it's a way better conversation starter.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Atheism is void of any beliefs at all. Satan is a contruct of christianity, therefore it has beliefs, a book of worship, and obviously figures. It is not atheism.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

They use that name to irritate Christians, they don't believe in the historical Satan, it's a life style choice, not a theistic religion.

All of this is really easy to look up on their website.

Q) Why do Satanists worship The Devil?

A) We don’t. Satanists are atheists. We see the universe as being indifferent to us, and so all morals and values are subjective human constructions.
Our position is to be self-centered, with ourselves being the most important person (the “God”) of our subjective universe, so we are sometimes said to worship ourselves. Our current High Priest Gilmore calls this the step moving from being an atheist to being an “I-Theist.”
Satan to us is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, and it serves as an external metaphorical projection of our highest personal potential. We do not believe in Satan as a being or person.

edit on 17-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

By there tenets, satanists sound like pretty rad people haha. Go satanists!

Commence the roast.....

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So apparently offensive statues are only okay if you're trolling the Christians.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
So apparently offensive statues are only okay if you're trolling the Christians.

I think they're trolling all Abrahamic religions and also anyone who easily gets offended.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Atheism is void of any beliefs at all.

Many have the belief that they are correct and righteous in their beliefs, man of them also are evangelistic about their ideology.

If you compare a hardcore atheist to that of a semi-practicing Jew, I think the atheist would look more religious by definition.

That's why I just stick with non-religious or agnostic, so I don't get caught up with the structure of any ideology, to each their own though.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That is not the definition of atheism tho. They are wrong. Sorry to be blunt but they are completely wrong. They are idolizing q symbol and made a religious out of it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
That is not the definition of atheism tho. They are wrong. Sorry to be blunt but they are completely wrong. They are idolizing q symbol and made a religious out of it.

If you say so, but I'll take their word on what they believe over yours.

Theism is the belief in God or gods, they don't believe in either.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

As oppose to using majority to put your religions statues at state buildings possibly accidentally trolling?

Intent doesn't change outcomes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join