It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weed-killing chemical linked to cancer found in some children's breakfast foods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

A new report found glyphosate, a weed-killing chemical that some health authorities link to cancer, in a number of popular breakfast foods and cereals marketed to children. The study by the non-profit Environmental Working Group (EWG) discovered trace amounts of the most widely used herbicide in the country in oats, granolas and snack bars. Thirty-one out of 45 tested products had levels higher than what some scientists consider safe for children.

Weed-killing chemical linked to cancer found in some children's breakfast foods

"We're very concerned that consumers are eating more glyphosate than they know," said Scott Faber, vice president of government affairs at EWG.

Some of the brands:

EWG used its own, more stringent standards to conclude that products with excessive levels of the herbicide included Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, Cheerios, Quaker Dinosaur Egg Instant Oats, Great Value Instant Oats, and Back to Nature Classic Granola. Glyphosate was even found in a few organic products, though most had non-detectable levels.

After the breaking case of the Round Up Cancer Trial, MSM has been sharing what some have been concerned about for a while with these chemicals. See thread heere:Monsanto Ordered to Pay $289 Million in California Roundup Cancer Trial

"We don't know a lot about the effects of glyphosate on children," Lowry said. "And essentially we're just throwing it at them."
-Head of the Council on Environmental Health for the American Academy of Pediatrics also a Toxicologist at Children's Mercy in Kansas City

edit on 15-8-2018 by dreamingawake because: Posted too soon, adding more.

Video by the same source.
edit on 15-8-2018 by dreamingawake because: Video

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Last night i watched a documentary on Arte.
Man, i knew that poison is bad and lethal.
But it´s worse than i ever could imagine even in my most evil nightmares:

edit on 15 8 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

It's not really a new report.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One might well wonder what other scary things may be found in our food if someone looks for them specifically.

edit on 8/15/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure, now that those companies have been told that there may be a problem, they will do everything they can to make sure that Americans are safe. Money is no object. And they will do it without regulations telling them they have to do it.

Now if you believe what I just wrote, carry on.

If you don't believe that, then you may believe the following:

Most companies are all about the money and profits.

These companies know how bad these products are.

Companies won't change what they are doing unless you hit them in the wallet.

The other option is, you accept it for those companies' profits sake, and hope it doesn't come back some day to bite you in the butt.

And may I add just one final thought. Every time that I read about a study now, I find myself immediately jumping to the conclusion that the info is false. Or that it might be slanted to push an agenda. Climate change for example. Which keeps bringing this thought up. With all this talk of Fake News, even if this info about these products is accurate, it's suspect. So does any info really take on factual truth, or will everything from now on be evaluated simply by whether or not it bothers you or you agree with it? We may have created a situation where all information is considered a lie by great swaths of Americans, whether or not it is. And in that case, do facts even exist?

If we continue to be unable to agree on facts, what exactly are we left with?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Stop buying cheap sh** for your kids and yourself maybe?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

That's definitely advice for an obvious start, but a few of those brands are respected quality ones, not just conventional junk.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's the pre-harvest treatment of the grains to make them desiccate that is leading to the increase in the cereals and flours. That is happening all over the USA, Roundup also has antimicrobial properties and keeps fungus from growing. I watched a couple of videos on the pre-harvest treatment explaining how it is supposed to be done. The only problem is that farmers need to be able to get their crop to market on schedule, sometimes they might need to treat the crops before they are mostly brown just so they can get the crops out of the field. When they started using the roundup, it exceeded the limit quite often so the governing agencies raised the allowable limit way up.

Our flours have the same problem. I switched mostly to organic oats and grains now. I also use organic flour for my bread. It is all grain, even the stuff fed to cattle and livestock.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Thanks for replies all, wish there would be more of them and attention to the subject, though at least around here we've been more in tune with what's going on. The masses want their brand names first, the famous brands names seem to have a lot more chemicals than they can imagine as people feel safe with them.

When the organic topic became a media discussion, dismissing the worry for such became common. Not too long ago MSM was branding people who were going the organic route as an alternative, "orthorexics". Then again with the change to Monsanto, their media board who was promoting control over MSM topics on it, is probably gone or at least not as strong.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: SR1TX

That's definitely advice for an obvious start, but a few of those brands are respected quality ones, not just conventional junk.

Not exactly, if it's in a box in the supermarket it's pretty much guaranteed to be processed, full of sugar and god knows what else they process it with. Feeding children and adults for that matter out of packaged crap is a recipe for future illness.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
There could be some natural sprays we could cook up that also could serve to fortify food, like brewer's yeast and b12.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Whoever is interested in this should do some research on 2,4-D which is a chlorinated form of acetic acid (vinegar) - which may not sound that bad, but take a look. It is one of 2 parts of agent orange.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Whoever is interested in this should do some research on 2,4-D which is a chlorinated form of acetic acid (vinegar) - which may not sound that bad, but take a look. It is one of 2 parts of agent orange.

I am led to understand it acts as a hormone and instructs the broadleafs (weeds/unwanteds) to accelerate the growing speed thus leading to an early demise. reminds me of a similar process in cell replication gone haywire---cancer?

ttfn f.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It's not really a new report.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One might well wonder what other scary things may be found in our food if someone looks for them specifically.

A man-made chemical and anything already present in our environment are two different things no matter how old the report is.

The usage of glyphosate globally is a fairly recent event. They seem to use it like Brawndo on their GMO crops.

In 2015, 89% of corn, 94% of soybeans, and 89% of cotton produced in the United States were genetically modified to be herbicide-tolerant.[71][clarification needed]

Wikipedia ^

Sometimes I just go with my gut instinct. ETA I forgot to mention Kelloggs. They use GMO too.
edit on 16/8/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This shall also come in handy. bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

The usage of glyphosate globally is a fairly recent event.
Yeah. The 70s.

They seem to use it like Brawndo on their GMO crops.
It's also used for both pre-planting and pre-harvest of non-GM crops (there are no commercial GM wheat crops).

A second pre-harvest option is an application of glyphosate at the hard dough stage. Research has shown that glyphosate applied with or without ammonium sulfate may hasten dry down of the wheat crop if conditions for dry down are adverse. With a pre-harvest interval of 7 days, a couple of days, at the most, may be gained. Since modern varieties allow for it, most wheat and barley is now straight cut instead of swathed. Table 1 summarizes advantages and disadvantages for each of these pre-harvest management options.

blog-crop-news.extension.umn.edu...

www.ag.ndsu.edu...

edit on 8/16/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/16/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
They dont need healthy humans anymore, they got machines for labor, and an agenda to deify abominable technology and demonize natural biology.

Goal of food production 100 years ago: Provide nutrition and medicine.

Goal of food production today: increasing quarterly gains.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prene
They dont need healthy humans anymore, they got machines for labor, and an agenda to deify abominable technology and demonize natural biology.

Goal of food production 100 years ago: Provide nutrition and medicine.

Goal of food production today: increasing quarterly gains.

Aye, but if we aren't able to export any of our agriculture due to the banning of GMO, or other reasons for sanctions against us, it would be wise to make sure we are at the forefront of sound and efficient agricultural production.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Correct. It started in the 70's, but I'd wager that glphosate usage worldwide really exploded when they developed the GMO seeds which I am guessing is late 1990 or early 2000's.

I'm sure they try to sell it as a safe and productive part of modern agricultural techniques. However that is a lie, also called an advertisement.

We've been growing crops in nature for thousands of years with few problems. Now we treat nature as the enemy and spray everything and throw caution to the wind because people read a label saying it's "safe". Splice a few fish and tomato genes in there too, excellent!

I do not need to wait 30 years for a peer-reviewed journal to tell me it isn't safe. There is enough scientific doubt already from what I have read. Dubious animal trials to name but one.

Don't worry about GMO wheat, it is being worked on along with GMO rice I believe. Then they have all the major plant crops in their GMO portfolio. Frankenfood Inc.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver
Yeah. It would be great if large scale agriculture could be conducted without the use of pesticides at all.

GM rice is in production, actually. It's helping to fill nutritional requirements quite a bit by boosting Vitamin A content, and other things.

Those most in need of this new seed-based technology are those who can least afford buying an adequate diet, rich in essential nutrients. This has been taken into consideration by the creators of Golden Rice, Profs Peter Beyer and Ingo Portrykus, and the crop protection company Syngenta, who have worked together to make the latest, improved version of Golden Rice available for humanitarian use in developing countries, free of charge.

The Golden Rice Humanitarian Board encourages further research to determine how the technology may play a part in the ongoing global effort to fight Vitamin A Deficiency in poor countries.

www.goldenrice.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
"Chemicals Linked to Cancer Found Everywhere"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join