It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook to Banks: Give Us Your Data, We’ll Give You Our Users

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Craigslist is definitely still cool. Check out my listing, I'm a nice looking 21 year old woman whose looking for a little fun. I'm also definitely not a man or a serial killer. Looking forward to inquiries.

I mean, I outgrew sweets, but if all I have to do is crush some cereal to get with a 21 year old chick, I'm in.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Craigslist is definitely still cool. Check out my listing, I'm a nice looking 21 year old woman whose looking for a little fun. I'm also definitely not a man or a serial killer. Looking forward to inquiries.

Craigslist shut down their personal ads a while ago, thanks to overbearing government intervention.

This week the U.S. Senate passed a bill to fight online sex trafficking, which could subject websites to more criminal and civil liability for the content that third parties publish on their platforms. As a result, Craigslist decided to remove its personal-ad section, posting the following statement: “Any tool or service can be misused. We can’t take such risk without jeopardizing all our other services, so we are regretfully taking craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day. To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through craigslist, we wish you every happiness!”

Link

I never would have met the ladyfriend of my dreams without it.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Am seriously considering going back to myspace, don't know anyone who really uses it anymore anyway. Bonus.
edit on 6-8-2018 by TheHenchman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I rarely agree with anything you say, but I think you are spot on about Facebook.

I eschew all social media sites as I think they are just part of a larger problem whereby "We the People" give up our privacy for a little bit of convenience. It seems insane to me that anyone would allow their personal data to become public, but I suppose we have raised a generation of fools that are more attached to their devices and connectedness than they are to their own best interest.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

People are gullible, the first of the Internet Crusaders didn't see the big picture until it hit them 12-15 years later. The new generation of surfers are just crazy, like most reality tv stars.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Deleted my profile last October, along with Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. The only social media I use these days is LinkedIn, and that should be self explanatory as to why. I find my life is much less stressful without all of those sites clogging up my time and thoughts. It's been quite nice actually...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I feel like you guys are attacking Facebook because they threaten media dominance and allow people to spread the truth.

Facebook is the result of a DARPA program called Life-log.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Oh, yes- I'm sure these users would love for facebook to know where they spend their money, how much income they earn, where it comes from, and how much they have.
Just think of all the helpful services facebook could provide if they had that information.

"transaction details" - exactly where you spend your money, at what time, on what. Wouldn't be hard to pull historical data and create trend databases, knowing that you buy coffee every third tuesday at starbucks at 8am- what a great time for an ad to pop up on your phone advertising the new coffeebook store across town.

My god we need some privacy laws to be brought up to date. This is beyond insane.

I had to make a claim to get around £20,000 in PPI payments back - that's another story in another forum. But as part of the process I had to use the Data Protection Act to get a copy of all my past credit card statements going back 20 years, then calculate the PPI payments plus compound interest. Those copies of all my credit card statements over 20 years were 1.5 inches thick, and detailed every single ATM I had ever visited, the newsagents in train stations, purchases at pubs and restaurants, air flights and rail tickets, visits to dentists and hotels. Just about anything you could think of.

The executives at Facebook must be drooling like rabid dogs at the thought of getting all that personal data on people.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Facebook is for suckers

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
Deleted my profile last October, along with Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. The only social media I use these days is LinkedIn, and that should be self explanatory as to why. I find my life is much less stressful without all of those sites clogging up my time and thoughts. It's been quite nice actually...

I've never used Facebook except to give my cat a personal account. I changed my job description in Linkedin to avoid being pestered, badgered, harassed and hassled by cold-calling head hunter recruitment agents hired by corporations hell bent on getting every single last native software engineer to train up their developing world replacements. Still see them visiting my account and they are as welcome as a Skynet drone ship above a rebel base. Now I know these headhunters are triggered by me sending emails, I now only communicate in person with other contractors using encrypted services.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Elisabeth Diana, a Facebook spokeswoman, told Ars that while the WSJ reported that Facebook has "asked" banks "to share detailed financial information about their customers, including card transactions and checking-account balances," this isn't quite right.

"Like many online companies with commerce businesses, we partner with banks and credit card companies to offer services like customer chat or account management," she said in a statement on behalf of the social media giant. "Account linking enables people to receive real-time updates in Facebook Messenger where people can keep track of their transaction data like account balances, receipts, and shipping updates. The idea is that messaging with a bank can be better than waiting on hold over the phone—and it's completely opt-in. We're not using this information beyond enabling these types of experiences—not for advertising or anything else."

arstechnica.com...

Bwhahahah, sure FB, we believe you. Why should I do those things with my online banking, when I can use you?
Nope. I've think they have defecated in their well already, and this is not helping them.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I feel like you guys are attacking Facebook because they threaten media dominance and allow people to spread the truth.

Define 'truth'.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

They are trying the same thing with hospitals for our medical records.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I only use facebook to play bingo and bejeweled blitz.

I need help.
edit on R292018-08-06T20:29:30-05:00k298Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Sigm up for bank sign in linking your account, use all the same passwords for all you do on your mobile phone! Sign up now for a free credit score! Hmm, can't see a thing going wrong there.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

F___ Zuckerberg and all these surveillance state sellouts!!! They are just getting creepier by the day

Frankly, Facebook always had a creepy vibe to it. I noticed it right off the bat and that's why I never signed up for a Facebook account to this day. I don't use any of them. Not Facebook, Twitter. None of it. I'm the only person I know who doesn't.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter anyway. TPTB don't really need "social media" to spy on people. I'm sure they have a million different ways of doing it. Facebook is just another privacy booby trap in their toolkit. One way or another, they will eventually have every bit of data they could possibly get on absolutely everyone. And my bet is they still won't be satisfied.

edit on 7-8-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

This can not end well.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I had to read the first headlines I saw about this twice, not believing I had actually read it correctly!

One of those WTF! moments.

The only way this can surely happen if is the government, well some anyway, change the laws allowing such huge transfers of information, which to be honest also flies in the face of privacy policies we all agree to when signing up for bank accounts etc.
If my bank actually transferred any of my information without first asking for my consent, I'd sue them without hesitation.

Again though, they may be shielded from such action, which is why the UK government gets to transfer public data to foreign nations when it outsources services which, as far as I can tell, seems to make a mockery of it's own data protection laws!

Young Mr. Suckaturd is really turning out to be a rather insidious character, despite his hyped philanthropic and caring persona!

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
wouldn't the banks giving out their customer's information to a company like facebook, be a breach of privacy? i would think they would have to have each individual's personal permission in order to do that. it also seems to be something that would make identity theft even easier than it is already.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have never trusted Mark Zuckerberg or Facebook [or Twitter twits or other such services.] He is more than a little slimy and his empire is working to hide the truth from its victims.
Facebook users are not customers; they are the product being sold. Provide your data for the "free" service of Facebook and don't be surprised at the results.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join