It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook to Banks: Give Us Your Data, We’ll Give You Our Users

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think this is insane; for those that have not left Facebook yet, this might be a good time.

The social-media giant has asked large U.S. banks to share detailed financial information about their customers, including card transactions and checking-account balances, as part of an effort to offer new services to users.
[...]
Facebook has talked about a feature that would show its users their checking-account balances, the people said. It has also pitched fraud alerts, some of the people said.

Facebook has told banks that the additional customer information could be used to offer services that might entice users to spend more time on Messenger, a person familiar with the discussions said. The company is trying to deepen user engagement: Investors shaved more than $120 billion from its market value in one day last month after it said its growth is starting to slow.

Wonderful, so because Facebook had a bad month and profits fell, it's now time to go ahead with the crazy plan of getting all personal data, including all financial information, from every Facebook user.

As if Facebook wasn't already under investigation for sharing personal data.

Data privacy is a sticking point in the banks’ conversations with Facebook, according to people familiar with the matter. The talks are taking place as Facebook faces several investigations over its ties to political analytics firm Cambridge Analytica, which accessed data on as many 87 million Facebook users without their consent.

Personally, I did use Facebook and I found value in it a few years ago for extra advertising for my wedding photography side business; from there it morphed into personal use and two years ago I called it quits -- don't miss it at all. For others that have have not yet cut that cord -- this act right here, presented as an act of desperation after heavy losses is exactly why Facebook exists and why it should not be used.

Does anyone want ALL of their information in one place, and with a company that has already shown it does not care that much about protecting that data?

Wall Street Journal

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I feel like you guys are attacking Facebook because they threaten media dominance and allow people to spread the truth.
edit on 6-8-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Welp, I was holding off deleting it for Tinder, but I'll have to find strange another way now.

Is craigslist still cool?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I feel like you guys are attacking Facebook because they threaten media dominance and allow people to spread the truth.

You are very much entitled to those feelings. And you should use Facebook if you want to.

Who is "you guys"? People that don't use Facebook? People that think differently from you?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Maybe fake congress can hold another fake handslapping for fake mark and fake facebook and the super spy facial recognition scam that was started.

How many fake corporations can these guys start to circumvent the constitution some more?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Welp, I was holding off deleting it for Tinder, but I'll have to find strange another way now.

Tinder? Isn't that for hooking up? Like Ashley Madison but for 20 something year old kids?

I don't think craigslist was ever 'cool' but I do use it for advertising.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

F___ Zuckerberg and all these surveillance state sellouts!!! They are just getting creepier by the day

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

You usually say good stuff.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Yeah

Only the famous news magazine Facebook tells the truth.

And how good that FB´s users have nothing to hide, as we can see again.
edit on 6 8 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It COULD be a nice service if they were a neutral party in a perfect world.

But due to a kind of monopolistic position and as they like to play with politics... ( And some people think that is ok because they are a corporation and are allowed an "opinion" because ... )

RUN.. People RUN !

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

They allow people to spread the Narrative™, not "the truth." But aside from that disagreement, please, if you'd be so kind... explain how interlacing private financial data of users with their Facebook account (in which the user's only "choice" is whether they, themselves access said data, not whether Facebook gets ahold of the data to begin with) will contribute to Facebook user's abilities to "spread the truth?"
edit on 6-8-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'd tell everyone to sue them, but they probably built this trap with our tax dollars.

Mark is just the fake PR face of the program.

Lifelog 2.0

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Ummm...BWA...HA...HA...HA...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Oh, yes- I'm sure these users would love for facebook to know where they spend their money, how much income they earn, where it comes from, and how much they have.
Just think of all the helpful services facebook could provide if they had that information.

"transaction details" - exactly where you spend your money, at what time, on what. Wouldn't be hard to pull historical data and create trend databases, knowing that you buy coffee every third tuesday at starbucks at 8am- what a great time for an ad to pop up on your phone advertising the new coffeebook store across town.

My god we need some privacy laws to be brought up to date. This is beyond insane.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Tinder? Isn't that for hooking up? Like Ashley Madison but for 20 something year old kids?

I don't think craigslist was ever 'cool' but I do use it for advertising.

20 somethings, immature 30 somethings.... I don't really think there is a team of mods checking.

Either way, it's scrubbed now.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Got away from FB years ago I tell everyone they are up to no good but folk do not care they can put pictures of what they have eaten today and people like it and the endorphins flow.....

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...BWA...HA...HA...HA...

YouSir

My feelings exactly!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Craigslist is definitely still cool. Check out my listing, I'm a nice looking 21 year old woman whose looking for a little fun. I'm also definitely not a man or a serial killer. Looking forward to inquiries.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I just do not trust any major internet social media whatever tbh.
Never joined reddit craigslist tinder or any of them.
They are complying a database of who gets eaten first.
If I'm not on the list I ain't getting eaten.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Facebook's tanking? Step up the game, another step closer to China’s "Social Credit Score"!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join