It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tommy Robinson Freed On Bail As Court Orders Retrial

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Tommy Robinson, the founder of the English Defence League, is to be freed from prison after the court of appeal ordered that he should be retried on a contempt of court charge.

He has been held at Onley jail near Rugby after receiving a 13-month sentence for breaches of reporting restrictions at Leeds and Canterbury crown courts.

At the court of appeal on Wednesday, the lord chief justice, Lord Burnett of Maldon, upheld the Canterbury ruling but said the ruling in Leeds was “flawed” and there should be a retrial.

Tommy Robinson Freed On Bail As Court Orders Retrial

Personally, i would have left him in gaol, but what does everyone else think?

Your thoughts please fellow ATS members.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I mean, it seemed a little off balance to jail him on a technicality

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I think TPTB just wanted to shut the fool up whilst the trial he was bumping his gums and going on about was taking place.

End of the day there will still be another retrial through.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

He could have waited in jail, and as a person involved (regardless of his empty protestations) with Nazism in the UK, he should have been forced to wait in jail.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

this guy has wet dreams of hitler and the fourth reich. dont know whats wrong with these people but i'm happy not to be like them.
edit on 1-8-2018 by oloufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

One has to wonder, if he was a brown fellow, screaming about ISIS or the like, outside a court of law, under similar circumstance, whether or not he would have been released on bail awaiting retrial?

My guess is probably not.
edit on 1-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Personally, i would have left him in gaol, but what does everyone else think?

He never should have been jailed to begin with. If the court system cannot stand up to public scrutiny, then there's a problem with the system... not the one talking about it.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Tommy Robinson is a self-proclaimed Zionist. This should be all people need to know, imho.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

He was talking about rather more than just the shortcomings of the justice system.

Fact is he could have jeopardized a fair trial thus beasts and child rapists could still be walking our streets because of his actions.

The guy is a racist loon, gaol was the best place for him imho.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It’s a stupid law, and no one should be jailed for it.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

He was jailed for contempt of court not a technicality.
He has been released on a technicality but will be retried.

a reply to: Words

Then the court loses authority and the rule of law is undermined.
edit on 1-8-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

He committed a crime, a crime to which he pleaded guilty.

He was in danger of prejudicing a trial against a grooming gang and thus perverting the course of justice.
This could have led to at the very best a very expensive re-trial of the nonces or at worst their total acquittal.

The moron risked justice being served against paedophiles - the man is a complete idiot.

However, there are a few other things that need mentioning.

The severity of the punishment far exceeded the severity of his crime when judged against sentences given to other people for similar crimes and even worse.
It has been known for proven sex offenders to walk away free with just suspended sentences etc.

He did not deserve 13 months.

The media attention on Tommy Robinson has only served to deflect away from the fact that yet another grooming gang of people from a specific demographic in our society have been found guilty of sex offences against poor and vulnerable young, white girls.

We have a real problem with this yet no-one is prepared to stand up and publicly state that this problem is hugely disproportionate and we need to start addressing this as a matter of urgency.

I wonder if this would be treat with more urgency if the victims came from nice middle-class backgrounds in the Home Counties etc.

edit on 1/8/18 by Freeborn because: grammar, as usual

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well here is to Tommy winning the re-trial. Hope he gets a good lawyer if there is such a concept in the UK (no idea) or finds some damn good defense to win.

It ain't over yet till the fat lady sings. Good luck to Tommy.
edit on 1-8-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

He was jailed for contempt of court not a technicality.
He has been released on a technicality but will be retried.

Then the court loses authority and the rule of law is undermined.

That’s untrue. The US has no such laws and the court has not lost authority nor is the rule of law undermined.

link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

He was talking about rather more than just the shortcomings of the justice system.

Fact is he could have jeopardized a fair trial thus beasts and child rapists could still be walking our streets because of his actions.

There is absolutely nothing this guy was doing to jeopardize a fair trial. Evidence is evidence... facts are facts... either the system was conducting a fair and just trial or they weren't. All this guy could do was shine a light on their acts. What was revealed is on them, not Robinson.

The guy is a racist loon, gaol was the best place for him imho.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I have never heard him condemn every Muslim; but perhaps you have... or perhaps you're just talking trash about something you really have no way of knowing.

In either event, no one should be jailed for being stupid. What a freaking waste of resources.

link   

Contempt of court may appear to be a stupid law, but imagine the chaos that would ensure without such laws?

Freedom of speech is one thing but there are limits to the madness normal people should be forced to endure.

Racist idiots like Robinson perfectly illustrate the point.
edit on 1-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Tommy Robinson is a knobhead and a wannabe football hooligan who in reality is a neverwas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours about him being some sort of shill who is deliberately being used to devalue and discredit real concerns many ordinary people in this country genuinely have are true.

edit on 1/8/18 by Freeborn because: clarity

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Contempt of court may appear to be a stupid law, but imagine the chaos that would ensure without such laws?

Freedom of speech is one thing but there are limits to the madness normal people should be forced to endure.

Racist idiots like Robinson perfectly illustrate the point.

Like in the US? No such laws there and no chaos.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

He was not jailed for being stupid but for contempt of court regarding a similar offense.

That's not stupidity, that's repetition.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

He committed a crime, a crime to which he pleaded guilty.

Under color of law, sure. Critters can put any words on a piece of paper and declare it law that they choose... doesn't make it right.

He was in danger of prejudicing a trial against a grooming gang and thus perverting the course of justice.
This could have led to at the very best a very expensive re-trial of the nonces or even total acquittal.

Crock of #. The evidence and the facts are what they are. If folks can't distinguish between fact and fantasy, then they shouldn't be on a damn jury to begin with.

The severity of the punishment far exceeded the severity of his crime when judged against sentences given to other people for similar crimes and even worse.

Ya think???

It has been known for proven sex offenders to walk away free with just suspended sentences etc.

He did not deserve 13 months.

The media attention on Tommy Robinson has only served to deflect away from the fact that yet another grooming gang of people from a specific demographic in our society have been found guilty of sex offences against poor and vulnerable young, white girls.

I don't think that's an accident or a coincidence. That was the plan.

We have a real problem with this yet no-one is prepared to stand up and publicly state that this problem is hugely disproportionate and we need to start addressing this as a matter of urgency.

Duh!!! Because they'll be thrown in jail!!!

Want to tell me again how Tommy Robinson is the problem??? Don't complain about no one standing up publicly when you applaud the jailing of those who do. Think... this isn't rocket science.

I wonder if this would be treat with more urgency if the victims came from nice middle-class backgrounds in the Home Counties etc.

It would be treated with more urgency if the truth were known and not hidden... and if those trying to tell the truth weren't thrown in jail!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join