It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public housing smoking ban in effect nationwide

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyeddie68
My question is,how will they enforce this?If a tenant hides it with air freshener and stashes their ash trays,how will the housing landlords know?

You can't hide smoking...

I can immediately tell if someone smokes in a car, hotel room, apartment, etc. No amount of air fresheners and febreeze will cover up that smell.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

My question is,how will they enforce this?If a tenant hides it with air freshener and stashes their ash trays,how will the housing landlords know?

I can immediately tell if someone smokes in a car, hotel room, apartment, etc. No amount of air fresheners and febreeze will cover up that smell.

You can get an ozone machine, and it will cover the majority of the smell. Use some odor neutralizers to improve it a bit more. Its how we do it in hotel land (the $250 cleaning fee is so we can try to remove the smell).

Ozone machines are about $400/ea and take 24 hours to work. And someone with a good nose will still smell it.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Absolutely.

This is our tax money being spent. Rules, yes. Stupid rules, which this smoking ban is, no.

Unenforceable laws are a waste of everybody's time.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

You can get an ozone machine, and it will cover the majority of the smell. Use some odor neutralizers to improve it a bit more. Its how we do it in hotel land (the $250 cleaning fee is so we can try to remove the smell).

Ozone machines are about $400/ea and take 24 hours to work. And someone with a good nose will still smell it.

I'd smell it as I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke. I can tell immediately when I go into a hotel room if someone has been puffing away. I can even pick it up in hallways.

The thing is if someone is a "smoker" they smell will permeate everything in the apartment. Clothes, furniture, paint, etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
people act like public housing is free, do you all not realize that to even qualify you have to work and earn a certain amount still? even then, you have to pay for most of the cost, its not like a charity or whatever people seem to think it is.
None of that is true

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Hmmm I smoked in a non-smoking hotel room fairly recently. The hotel was supposed to add $200 to the bill if you're caught smoking. They did not. Apparently no one noticed.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I just think its ludicrous that we are subsidizing these peoples housing for probably hundreds of dollars a month so they can blow smoke.

What about people that are overweight? That would be like 50% of the US population?

What about people that were previously gainfully employed and fell on hard times through some trauma and are forced into public housing?

If they want to blow smoke thats their prerogative - I thought the US was into freedom of choice.
What are you, 1 of these pretend liberals who likes making rules for everyone else?

Ya got too much smoke coming out of your mouth - shut it once in a while before other crap gets in

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The 25 ft sounds OK. You are not a guest in public housing - everyone pays taxes, everyone is entitled to assistance if they fall within the criteria.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Hmmm I smoked in a non-smoking hotel room fairly recently. The hotel was supposed to add $200 to the bill if you're caught smoking. They did not. Apparently no one noticed.

Congratulations
The next guy probably got charged

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

being solicited by these people for free or subsidized housing.

Not really solicited. The Government offers it due to financial circumstance.
The GOvt intrudes on your affairs when you pay taxes and have a social security number or when you do business or a million other transactions

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hmmmmm, I am just wondering where all these folks were when "The Mob" decided it was okay to tax the hell out of cigarettes in the name of health care and felt it was okay to price people right out of being able to smoke whether they wanted to or not?

With that being said, have you every noticed the color of the walls in a home of a heavy smoker? They all end up turning yellow and it takes a good bit of scrubbing and then repainting those walls before anyone else can move in.

So I really don't have an issue with this. However, the 25 foot rule that prevents you from not even being able to step outside of your residence is the utter BS of this mandate that is ridiculous!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

This is dog training--plain and simple. You are an idiot if you think the G actually cares about your health.

Bingo - if the Govt cared about people they would ban 90% of prescription drugs that actually do more harm than good.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I just think its ludicrous that we are subsidizing these peoples housing for probably hundreds of dollars a month so they can blow smoke.

What about people that are overweight? That would be like 50% of the US population?

What about people that were previously gainfully employed and fell on hard times through some trauma and are forced into public housing?

If they want to blow smoke thats their prerogative - I thought the US was into freedom of choice.
What are you, 1 of these pretend liberals who likes making rules for everyone else?

Ya got too much smoke coming out of your mouth - shut it once in a while before other crap gets in

I applaud you for the most ignorant comments of this thread.

What do overweight people have to do with this thread? last I checked food is not considered a luxury. Well, most food.

And people who were previously gainfully employed and fell on hard times through some trauma and are forced into public housing? Tough tittys. If you fell on hard times and can no longer afford to provide yourself with a roof over your head than you should have the sense to quit smoking and use that money towards getting yourself out of a hole.

2 years ago I was laid off from a great job I had. First thing I did was cut luxuries out of my life because they are an unnecessary expense. I cut the cable, reduced my phone bill, stopped buying steaks and alcohol. Within a few months, I had a job again and could readjust back to my comfortable standard of living.

Heres my question to you. What makes you think you have the right to the same standard of living as others or to maintain your standard of living when you cannot afford to?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I've had landlords with absolute NO smoking rules and landlords who didn't care.
It is essentially a "rented" property so the landlord has final say and rules, IMO.
People aren't being told they can't smoke, only that they can't do it where it will have an impact on the property like
the smell in the apartments/houses, having to repaint and deep clean and the butts lying all around in the grass and common areas.
Even if I owned my home, I wouldn't allow smoking inside of it. I would think that it would negatively impact the resale value or there would be a lot of work needed before putting it on the market. If I ever chose or needed to sell.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Maybe they shouldn't have internet or TV? Perhaps we should restrict their diets and give them only what is healthy?

Yeah ban alcohol.

Better yet

Make everyone exercise at least 1 hr per day 5 days a week, 6 1/2 working days a week, retirement at 80.

Someones got to pay for the trillions spent fighting foreign wars for "loot" that usually ends up large corporate pockets.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

The 25 ft sounds OK. You are not a guest in public housing - everyone pays taxes, everyone is entitled to assistance if they fall within the criteria.

Yes, you are a guest. Go get on Government assistance/housing and break the rules and see how fast your ass is not a guest anymore.

All people are entitled to it if they qualify for it. But they have to follow the rules.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

There has been a warning label on every pack of smokes since 1966. Long before you started smoking.

If they ban smoking then people would wake up to what other crap from industrial processes/food/car exhausts actually give cancer.

With smokers they have a scapegoat.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
are they going to kick a black single mother out of public housing for smoking, wouldn't that be racist AF? I can see Rev Al there now.

They Public Housing cannot stop weed, so how are they going to stop people from smoking the wacky tobacy?

the eviction will be from Breaking a Contract not for the simple reason of burning a cigarette/pipe/cigar in the housing area or even possessing a gun-weapon-firearm.... of course the property managers will have a running dossier of accumulated transgressions over the lifetime of the housing unit 'lease-agreement' awarded to the occupant

out in Phoenix, there were a few property management/maintenance companies that took on some percentage of government/HUD/Sec 8 in their management portfolio... and quick turnovers were the preferred norm as to having a Long-term, subsidized-renter...
I knew of one 'grand-Ma' who was the 8 plex's resident Elder & Warden/Snitch to the real-estate company contracting to HUD/Sec 8... and 7 families were legally removed for infractions...but 'grand-ma' moved-Up... to the larger 2 bed-1 bath end unit with a larger backyard as the renovation got underway for about 6 months of systematic evictions as the remodeling progressed one-unit to the next
edit on st31153305815131292018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: dug88

Congratulations
The next guy probably got charged

Ummm yeah cause ya know room service doesn't come in and clean up after people leave....what would there be left there to charge the next person for? If they didn't notice anything the first time why would they notice after even more time has passed? That's fairly idiotic...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We used the ozone machine and the Eco-lab lemon fresh spray at the hotel I worked at for smokers. Always had to double and triple check the room after housekeeping to make sure they used the spray. Because, as you said, a sensitive nose can still detect it after the ozone.
You'd think the $250 service charge(ours was the same)
would be a strong enough of a deterrent. These weren't wealthy guests all of the time. Following house rules is much cheaper.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join