It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public housing smoking ban in effect nationwide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Disenchanted1

I got 2 packs at walmart yesterday.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Respectfully, I disagree.
We will be the ones painting the walls and cleaning the carpets when we choose to move. With our own funds. Ten years we have been here, and now suddenly we HAVE to change because they wanna save a few bucks on maintenance? My ass. WE are paying for our own "maintenance".

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: gamer2343

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: gamer2343

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
and will just create a bigger black market for luxury items like tobacco.
what? Lol why would it create a black market for tobacco

www.google.com...
You linked me to an article about higher cigarette taxes creating a black market which could be understandable, But has nothing to do with the OP or why that a ban aimed at preventing someone from smoking in their public housing home would lead to a black market for tobacco. I just don’t see how you got to that from that.

Don’t link me an article I want you to tell me in your own opinion on how it would lead to a black marcket for tobacco.

I meant that if they put a ban on people being able to purchase tobacco who are on government assistance. That would create a bigger black market.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I am sure this ban doesn't cover weed.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I agree with you, however, what if it is a part of the working poor? Those who are working full time, but the pay is too small and they are forced to use public housing for having a place to live? Not everyone can afford the places, and often need help.

The other thing that is not seen in this report, would be what about states where pot is legal, would such rules also apply to those as well, or do those who smoke pot get a free pass?

And why would vape and e-cigarettes be exempt? Would that also not leave a residue and require extra means to clean up time and time again?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Big Brother is watching , wonder what the next thing you can't do in a rented property will be.

Seems to be more division between the rights of the haves and the have not's.

People who need assistance affording basic necessities in life shouldn't be allowed to purchase luxuries.

Nice.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is really simple. If you don't own the property, you have to abide by the rules of the owner.

If you want to smoke, you need to rent a property that allows it or buy your own home.

If you can't afford to do either then tough titty. Quit smoking.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Disenchanted1

Boo fricken who.
Dont like the house rules?
Buy your own house.

All to often I see food stamps and WIC coupons being used at walmart and a separate transaction follows with beer and smoked being purchased.
Umm! Walmart does not sell Tobbacco FYI!

Um, yeah they do.
Not in every state but in indiana they do.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia
a reply to: Disenchanted1

I got 2 packs at walmart yesterday.

But but but
I had my experience on sunday.
Beer and smokes at walmart.
We can buy beer on sundays now.

And stop, those things will kill you
edit on 31-7-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Do they honestly think folks in the projects are going to just up and stop smoking the product of their choice? This is about as dumb as trying to regulate drugs and alcohol. But then again, "We're from the Government, we're here to help you" has always meant someone is getting money but not necessarily the folks needing the help.

I guess if enough busy bodies and inspectors end up with chalk outlines they may rethink the policy.
edit on 7/31/2018 by Bramble Iceshimmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Link

A nationwide smoking ban is now in effect for all public housing developments across the U.S. Beginning Tuesday, smoking in and around the more than 900,000 public housing units is now prohibited.
The U.S. Department of HUD officially provided an 18-month implementation period for all public housing authorities.

HUD said its smoke-free rule would reduce damage and maintenance costs associated with smoking, saving the agency an estimated $153 million in repairs and preventable fires.

Approximately 2 million people live in public housing including more than 500,000 elderly residents and 760,000 children.

the bigger problem is pets (cats & dogs)… the tobacco smoking issue has little impact on the maintenance costs of the properties...It is pure poppy-cock that HUD put a $153,000.000. annual cost figure on that behavior & addiction.

that 18 month 'transition period' to implement the smoke-free-zones in public housing units is just another way for the property maintenance contractors to make more paychecks on the distress of many more Evictions & Occupant Turnovers...

that crazy $153 Million figure is more likely the annual expense of replacing the 9volt batteries in the required smoke-detectors (which the tenants remove to use in their personal devices as soon as the maintenance guys leave) after the emergency call for a dripping-faucet is fixed, for example (sec 8 rule; all leaks must be addressed in 24 hours or the property management/maintenance LLC gets pulled-on-the-carpet)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Link

I have said it several times and I'll say it again. People who need assistance affording basic necessities in life shouldn't be allowed to purchase luxuries. Obviously, this is totally unenforceable and will just create a bigger black market for luxury items like tobacco.

I'm not following your argument here. Tobacco is not illegal. Any adult can buy tobacco products. This is a ban on USING tobacco in public housing. How does that create a "bigger black market"?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Disenchanted1
Umm! Walmart does not sell Tobbacco FYI!

I just quit working for Walmart after a 4 year stint. They ABSOLUTELY sell tobacco, alcohol AND fireworks, thank you very much! If they don't sell those things in the Walmart that YOU shop at it is only because of your city/county ordinances and is local only!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Big Brother is watching , wonder what the next thing you can't do in a rented property will be.

Seems to be more division between the rights of the haves and the have not's.

People who need assistance affording basic necessities in life shouldn't be allowed to purchase luxuries.

Nice.
Im sorry but no matter how much you pay a year or how at home you feel inside of a rental property you don’t own it it’s still not yours, You can’t smoke in rental cars either

I mean I don’t really agree with but it is what it is it’s not yours

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I have several rental houses and you are right, pets are a bigger problem. But smoke is bad to.
I dont put carpet in my houses anymore.
Only laminate

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
are they going to kick a black single mother out of public housing for smoking, wouldn't that be racist AF? I can see Rev Al there now.

They Public Housing cannot stop weed, so how are they going to stop people from smoking the wacky tobacy?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I dont put carpet in my houses anymore.
Only laminate

Lay down some tile. It's a lot more durable.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
people act like public housing is free, do you all not realize that to even qualify you have to work and earn a certain amount still? even then, you have to pay for most of the cost, its not like a charity or whatever people seem to think it is.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Here the best rentals are low income overlooking Lake Michigan. They leave the windows open year round anyway so they will never stop the smoking.

Always annoys me that driving home I see dozens of windows open 2-6" in the winter. Guess who's paying the heat bill.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
My question is,how will they enforce this?If a tenant hides it with air freshener and stashes their ash trays,how will the housing landlords know?
edit on 31-7-2018 by crazyeddie68 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join