It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I just want to know why protesters that get violent and end up in a riot usually tear up their own neighborhoods.
Doesn't that just make life worse for them when over?
Why destroy your own home when you're mad at someone else?

And when the government is there to monitor the situation aren't most of the police wearing masks?
edit on 11090000007 by JHumm because: ETA

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
A mask could also be considered free expression.

Do we punish people for simply expressing themselves in this fashion?

Look, I think antifa are brownshirt thugs who want nothing but censorship and violence.

But we cannot start punishing people based on what they look like.

It's analogous to the civil rights laws of the '60s. You can say why have a 20 year sentence for violating civil rights? Why not just punish them for the murder? Because the local law enforcement didn't work and they had to bring in the feds to fix it. They are not being punished for wearing masks but for what they do while wearing the mask which allows them to get away with it.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So then you would say that the Patriot Act and the subsequent loss of liberties was necessary?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: vor78

A person can conceal their identity just as easily with a hoodie and sunglasses. Should we give everyone that shows up to a protest on sunny, autumn, day 15 years in prison?

the second they hurt another person, # yes. Or don't you understand what this is about? it's not about wearing a mask, it's about wearing a mask AND CAUSING HARM TO OTHERS.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

So then you would say that the Patriot Act and the subsequent loss of liberties was necessary?

would you say murder is acceptable if you are angry enough?

Seriously, your debate skills are weak at best. If you can't discuss your views on this without a large bag of straw men to parade around, perhaps your views suck.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

So it's good that people that were peacefully protesting were looking at a sentence longer than most murder sentences because they attended the same protest as Antifa?

Luckily the court system didn't see it the same way and the prosecutor completely bungled her case.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Ahhh. Same thing happened to me. The ones holding the bucket in their left hands are the bad ones.....allegedly.

Just watch out for the flaming bag of pooo....and I dont mean Madonna.
a reply to: dawnstar

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Antifa wear black outfits also.

We going arrest people for having black t-shirts?

There are already laws against attacking people. Whether or not they are wearing a mask seems superfluous, to me.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

But there are laws already in place to punish people that commit violence. Where do we draw the line with this law?

For example, Anon uses both digital and physical masks in the commission of crimes. Should we start giving these script kiddies 15 year sentences because they DDOS'd the official Scientology website?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

it's not about wearing a mask, it's about wearing a mask AND CAUSING HARM TO OTHERS.

I disagree.

Wearing a mask in public is already against the law in certain areas/circumstances.

Causing harm to others is already a crime.

This is about people using their position in government to go after political opponents.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Agreed with all your posts so far, great points. The proposed legislation doesn't make any sense and fails to address the problem with rising US AntiFA violence and general divide/state of discourse in US politics. If anything, selective punishments based on political leanings will only exacerbate the problem.

Banning masks/the standard bandanna over the nose AntiFA use won't achieve anything - they're hardly the brightest sparks, they tend to confess to their crimes or advertise they're going to a protest with intentions on facebook, take their phones with them to protests/have a smart-phone etc...so it provides no disguise. Someone can slip a mask off while committing an unprovoked assault on peaceful protesters, then put it back on and receive far more lenient sentence.

Similar erosions of civil liberties under the guise of anti-terrorism are used here in the UK in a thing known as 'function creep' - the results are pretty disastrous. ico.org.uk...
edit on 11-7-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Antifa wear black outfits also.

We going arrest people for having black t-shirts?

There are already laws against attacking people. Whether or not they are wearing a mask seems superfluous, to me.

Maybe you should read the law. It's phrased as a civil rights law.

In General.--Whoever, whether or not acting under color of law, while in disguise, including while wearing a mask, injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both.

The masks allow them to avoid responsibility for their actions. It's not about uniforms. It's like saying you can't wear a mask to get away with robbing a store or a bank. The masks helps keep them from being identified.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

it's not about wearing a mask, it's about wearing a mask AND CAUSING HARM TO OTHERS.

I disagree.

Wearing a mask in public is already against the law in certain areas/circumstances.

This is about people using their position in government to go after political opponents.

then you should make a sign and let someone know how you feel.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I disagree.

It's about gangs of masked thugs starting riots and attacking people.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
The masks allow them to avoid responsibility for their actions. It's not about uniforms. It's like saying you can't wear a mask to get away with robbing a store or a bank. The masks helps keep them from being identified.

And that's where free expression crosses into a legitimate law enforcement and public safety concern, IMO. This is about preventing and deterring people from hiding their identities and avoiding prosecution in situations where a legal protest turns into a riot.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Antifa thug beats a guy, cops catch him.

Antifa thug (wearing a mask) beats a guy, cops catch him.

Different sentences for the same act?

So we're not punishing the act so much as how the person appears during the act.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I hope this passes. It's time to get these masked thugs off of our streets.

you do realize most of the police in the line against the protesters also wear masks, so do SWAT team. (Like criminals and cowards if you ask me)

link   

originally posted by: network dude

I disagree.

then you should make a sign and let someone know how you feel.

Sure. I'll do that and probably end up on a list of people/groups that need to be targeted by politicians that disagree with me.

I'm a bit surprised that you support the government targeting specific groups.

link   
a reply to: vor78

How about this example, a few weeks ago the Capitols won the Stanley Cup. In celebration DC had the standard celebration riot that includes vandalism and destruction of property. If a person partaking in these activities had facepaint on, which will obscure their features, should they receive 15 years in prison?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I see your point, but this isn't about people just wearing masks, it's about them doing it to hide their identity while they hurt others. It takes a real pussy to hide his face, take part in a mob beating he likely started, then be able to scurry off and not be recognized because he was wearing a mask.

I don't think this law can go after anyone for just having an obscured face.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join