It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
those danged kids showed up at my house, threatening me to either give them candy or they would "trick me"... I knew they were trouble, with those danged masks hiding their faces so i sent them on their way. the next thing I know, they are throwing rolls of toilet paper all over my yard, on of them hit me in the head... it could have killed me!!!

kind of sounds a tad insane to me... no, don't think halloween would be included unless someone decided to use the event to be violent and destructive.

edit on 11-7-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

As I mentioned above, the US government has a long history of taking laws intended for one purpose and instead using them to consolidate their power and remove more rights from their citizens. The Patriot Act being the prime example.

It is not farfetched to think that a prosecutor would make the argument that this law covers IP masking. It's also not farfetched to think that a judge, considering how many have shown themselves to be inept when it comes to technology, would go along with the argument.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: network dude

So saying that the emergence of antifa is an expected outcome considering the decades of police brutality directed at peaceful protesters makes me a sociopath but all the users on here that cheer on police brutality are normal?

And you all want to claim there isn't a fascist threat in this country.

no, advocating for the right for people to hurt others during a protest makes you a sociopath.

This is all about making a law so that assholes can't put on a mask and hit innocent protesters with bike locks or do other violent things. If you are against that, you are a sick person. As I said first off, this is a law EVERYONE can get behind, save for the few who would don a mask and hurt others.

ETA: show me who is cheering on police brutality?
edit on 11-7-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-7-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

As I thought, it does not define mask or disguise. So how is posting anonymously online not a disguise? I mean that's the whole point behind anonymous message boards. It lets people say and do things they might not in real life because their identity is concealed.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Hitting someone with a bike lock is already a crime. Why do we need to tack on another 15 years (which is probably more time than they would get for just hitting someone with a bike lock) because they were wearing a mask?

Let me ask you a question, what are your views on hate crimes?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Based on the current wording, if this law were applied equally, people partaking in Devil's Night style activities would be in violation of this law as they are violating another person's property rights while donning a mask.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

It's funny how it's always the side that says we need the Second Amendment so we can defend ourselves from a corrupt government is the same side that demands protests against a corrupt government be peaceful.

Could that be because antifa almost always attacks CIVILIANS, not the government. In general, they are too cowardly to go up against the police; the unarmed civilian is the antifa target of choice.

2A is about preventing the government from illegally entering my home, illegally seizing my property, restricting my rights guaranteed UNDER THE US CONSTITUTION. It is NOT about creating anarchy because I don’t like the POTUS or I don’t think I’m getting enough free stuff from others hard work...but you already knew that, didn’t you?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

As I mentioned above, the US government has a long history of taking laws intended for one purpose and instead using them to consolidate their power and remove more rights from their citizens. The Patriot Act being the prime example.

It is not farfetched to think that a prosecutor would make the argument that this law covers IP masking. It's also not farfetched to think that a judge, considering how many have shown themselves to be inept when it comes to technology, would go along with the argument.

I reread the bill more carefully and I agree it is possible. I wouldn't have thought so until I remembered how they twisted the RICO act. They should make it more specific.

I also feel 15 years is too much. Bank robbery and manslaughter can get less than that. It looks to me that this was written with the idea of the violating civil rights law in mind. That was used during the civil rights era to prosecute everything from murder to lynching. The actual killings were not punished by state and local authorities but the feds got them on violating civil rights and the penalties were high.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Hitting someone with a bike lock is already a crime. Why do we need to tack on another 15 years (which is probably more time than they would get for just hitting someone with a bike lock) because they were wearing a mask?

Because Antifa is almost never arrested and, if they are arrested, get off with a light slap on the wrist. It's building to a point where it's becoming like the civil rights problems with the KKK (which was also run by the democrats.)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Let me touch on something you said here. You said that anti-mask laws stem from the fact that masks are used for intimidation. Couldn't you say the same thing about someone showing up to a far Right rally wielding a shield and wearing full Nazi garb?

If we have an Unmask Antifa Act then doesn't it make just as much sense to have a Strip Fascists Act?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The government just tried to send 200+ people away for 70+ years for simply attending a protest Antifa was at.

The counter-protesters in Charlottesville faced more and harsher sentences than the Nazis despite the fact that only one side was killing people and firing guns in to a crowd.

So don't act like those on the Left are getting off scot free.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Ummmmm this seems fairly ripe for abuse.

, anyone “wearing a mask” or in disguise who “injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person … in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege” 

That's some vague widely applicable # right there...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Also, if your issue is with the justice system then why not try to fix that? How does adding more laws to a system you perceive as broken, actually fix anything. It just make a broken system more complicated making it harder to actually fix.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This specific piece of legislation may need further refinement to ensure that it cannot be applied more broadly than its intended purpose, but in principle, I completely support it. The reason people wear masks to these protests is to conceal their identity in order to avoid prosecution if/when they engage in intimidation, threats, or violent behavior. That type of behavior should not be tolerated, no matter their political leanings.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: vor78

A person can conceal their identity just as easily with a hoodie and sunglasses. Should we give everyone that shows up to a protest on sunny, autumn, day 15 years in prison?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

if you don't want to go to jail for a long time, don't put on a mask and hurt other people. the only reason to wear a mask during a political protest, is to hide your identity so you don't get caught being a douche bag. If you feel strong enough to protest, then at least don't be a douche and hide behind a mask.

Not sure if you fully comprehend the situation, but this was enacted for a reason, as most laws are. Nobody arbitrarily came up with this, several situations came up where making this law is necessary, due to people being assholes. Or do you not understand why laws are made in the first place?

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
A mask could also be considered free expression.

Do we punish people for simply expressing themselves in this fashion?

Look, I think antifa are brownshirt thugs who want nothing but censorship and violence.

But we cannot start punishing people based on what they look like.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The government just tried to send 200+ people away for 70+ years for simply attending a protest Antifa was at.

The counter-protesters in Charlottesville faced more and harsher sentences than the Nazis despite the fact that only one side was killing people and firing guns in to a crowd.

So don't act like those on the Left are getting off scot free.

I don't believe that is true, especially about Charlottesville. I don't know anything about the first sentence but if it's true, good. We're getting sick of this crap.

Make up all the lies you want. I know you don't like this thread and want to poison it. Nothing you say here makes any difference. Write to your congressman. Being fanatical here only makes your side look worse.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Most of the current anti mask laws are thanks to the Dimicrats and their KKK affinity. Now the Plantation Dimicrats want to get rid of the laws so they can harrass the very people they claim to support????

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Sunglasses and a hoodie aren't generally considered a 'mask' or a 'disguise' and I would hope a prosecutor or the jury would have a little common sense, but yes, as I said, the law may need additional refinement to avoid a situation like that. I completely agree with the basic idea behind it, though.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join