It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Outflank US Navy, Develop First Railgun for Ready for Warships

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

She lost an engine down there, then basically got buried and moved around by the ice.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

She lost an engine down there, then basically got buried and moved around by the ice.

Was an attempt at humor I just read up on it that was a pretty a slick move on getting the 3 engines they could start going and then “drafted” another hurk to use its prop wash to spin up the 4th engine. And ouch it was actually 17 years down there nearly spent half of a new airframe cost getting it back...
edit on 6/27/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

edit on 6/27/2018 by BigDave-AR because: Damn phone doubleposted.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

And it showed by the time they got to us. Damn thing only had to hold together another 15 minutes and it would have been someone else's problem too.

I saw it again in the Boneyard. Never been happy to see something sitting there before.
edit on 6/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

And it showed by the time they got to us. Damn thing only had to hold together another 15 minutes and it would have been someone else's problem too.

I saw it again in the Boneyard. Never been happy to see something sitting there before.

So I’m guessing y’all were out at McM.?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Hickam. They came through on their way to the Depot for an extensive PDM and overhaul.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Hickam. They came through on their way to the Depot for an extensive PDM and overhaul.

Ah gotcha.
I’ve been hauling a lot of fuel out to the C130s at LRAFB, yes I’m a fellow aircraft enthusiast trucker.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Fifteen minutes short of the point of no return they lost #3, and it was game on.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Fifteen minutes short of the point of no return they lost #3, and it was game on.

Figures don’t it?
Was that the same engine they had to take the starter off of due to an oil leak causing that nifty buddy start?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

By the time it was done we had changed an engine, a prop, repacked another, changed out a squat switch, two brakes,and were ready to throw the FE off the island without an aircraft if necessary.

I'm pretty sure it was the same engine. It developed a major oil leak in flight. It was dumping oil on the ramp before the bleed doors closed when we ran it.
edit on 6/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

By the time it was done we had changed an engine, a prop, repacked another, changed out a squat switch, two brakes,and were ready to throw the FE off the island without an aircraft if necessary.

The “squids” should know how to swim...
Makes sense so do you think they misdiagnosed the leak out on the ice and she was pissing oil the whole time?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Probably. It was probably fairly minor to begin with, and got worse until the line broke in flight. We're standing there looking at oil going everywhere, FE pipes up, "That's fixable. Shouldn't be that bad."

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Probably. It was probably fairly minor to begin with, and got worse until the line broke in flight. We're standing there looking at oil going everywhere, FE pipes up, "That's fixable. Shouldn't be that bad."

I can see that playing out in my mind if your not a mechanic in the shop shut up.
Speaking of oil leaks the SP out at LRAFB are starting to get on my nerves your truck leaks a drop of oil while they’re doing there checks and they send you packing.

And my company is in desperate need of some new trucks and tanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You would have loved the S-3 then. Refueling went something like this-

Crew-We need a fuel truck.
Us- OK, we'll go call one from the office.
Crew- Can't you just use the radio?
Us- Yep, but we've got to go get the spill kits for when you start venting fuel on our ramp. And you're gonna vent.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You would have loved the S-3 then. Refueling went something like this-

Crew-We need a fuel truck.
Us- OK, we'll go call one from the office.
Crew- Can't you just use the radio?
Us- Yep, but we've got to go get the spill kits for when you start venting fuel on our ramp. And you're gonna vent.

Luckily I just dump into their storage tanks otherwise I can’t imagine that hassle.
Now that I’m talking about they’re better than hauling for the railroad we had a guy dump a good 2,000 gallons of diesel onto their land filling up an engine. That was a nightmare they let us go out and dig out the contaminated soil, guess who got that job since I’m the only one on crew with heavy equipment operating history?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

You could refuel at 17.5 psi, and be fine. Pump it at 18 psi, fuel everywhere.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You could refuel at 17.5 psi, and be fine. Pump it at 18 psi, fuel everywhere.

See my previous post, the guy never showed up again he was always screwing the pooch bigtime.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

All our fueling areas were concrete pads if they were pits, and solid asphalt if not. Luckily the S-3s couldn't taxi farther than our first set of pits.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

All our fueling areas were concrete pads if they were pits, and solid asphalt if not. Luckily the S-3s couldn't taxi farther than our first set of pits.

The Viks were always fugly to me, they were an unfortunate looking bird.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Yeah, but they were the only thing that size that didn't need a tanker to move when they did swaps.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join