It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Outflank US Navy, Develop First Railgun for Ready for Warships

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Check out this thing from the Russians.

Kh-47M2 Kinzhal "Dagger" hypersonic missile.

This version can be launched from a MiG-31 Foxhound, can hit land and naval targets, top speed Mach 10, range 1,200 miles.
According to Putin it is operational. I assume target data is obtained via datalink from another platform for naval targets.
Some analysts are skeptical about the performance claims. But it does show where things could be headed.

A stealthy version could be a dangerous prospect in future. This type of thing is probably where the future is headed IMO, stealthy drones for intel/recon/targeting and stealthy hypersonic missiles for naval surface targets.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
Check out this thing from the Russians.

Kh-47M2 Kinzhal "Dagger" hypersonic missile.

This version can be launched from a MiG-31 Foxhound, can hit land and naval targets, top speed Mach 10, range 1,200 miles.
According to Putin it is operational. I assume target data is obtained via datalink from another platform for naval targets.
Some analysts are skeptical about the performance claims. But it does show where things could be headed.

A stealthy version could be a dangerous prospect in future. This type of thing is probably where the future is headed IMO, stealthy drones for intel/recon/targeting and stealthy hypersonic missiles for naval surface targets.

theaviationist.com...

It appears the Russians may be lying on this. But they do that alot when it comes to capabilities.

“I saw no change to the Russian military capability and each of these systems that he’s talking about are still years away, I do not see them changing the military balance. They do not impact any need on our side for a change in our deterrence posture.” Indeed, the missile seems to fuel the propaganda machine more than it actually changes the strategic balance. 

theaviationist.com...
edit on 6/29/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

There's currently one hypersonic cruise missile that's even close to operational, and of all countries to have it, that's with India amazingly.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I tend to be skeptical about Russian and Chinese claims also. I think sometimes it is actually a plywood model and they say things like 'this is best missile in world will kill all western hardware with ease' lol.

However, it’s a development worth following, especially if we consider the maritime strike capability that an air-launched ballistic anti-ship missile brings in the game. Russia’s firing of the Kinzhal joins not only the Indian hypersonic missile tests from last year but also the Chinese DF-17 hypersonic glide missile tests and the U.S. tests of hypersonics being conducted by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), NASA and the U.S. Air Force.

theaviationist.com...

These things are on the way maybe not today but in future. The performance of the Kh-47 is staggering, while it may well be exaggerated I think this type of thing is not far off IMO.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: JimTSpock

There's currently one hypersonic cruise missile that's even close to operational, and of all countries to have it, that's with India amazingly.

I’ve actually been impressed with India’s developments, I find it pretty fascinating that they have both the BRAHMOS and one of the only anti-missile systems that’s a reliable cure for the BRAHMoS in the BARAK medium range AMM. Granted these both came from assistance from Russia and Israel respectevly.
Is the missile system you’re referring to the Shaurya?

Speaking of BRAHMOS I find it interesting that they seem to be backing off the hypersonic BRAHMOS-2 Variant of the In favor of the more compact stealthier BRAHMOS-NG.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

The Brahmos-II is still being developed, but they're slow rolling to (intentionally this time). Russia could only help them develop a missile with a range of less than 300 miles, because they were a signatory of the MTCR, and India wasn't. So they're trying to extend the range on it.

In theory, the Shaurya is at least post IOC, but I'm not sure about that.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The Brahmos-II is still being developed, but they're slow rolling to (intentionally this time). Russia could only help them develop a missile with a range of less than 300 miles, because they were a signatory of the MTCR, and India wasn't. So they're trying to extend the range on it.

In theory, the Shaurya is at least post IOC, but I'm not sure about that.

I forgot that the MTCR can cover UAVs I assumed part of the reason why they were talking about making it a reusable missile that dumps its payload which could allow the “oh dis, dis is not a missile, is UAV da?” I had thought India was a signatory of the treaty as well but of course the truck driving encyclopedia that you are has once again caught me flat footed.

So is this treaty going to cause any issues with the continued shift towards unmanned?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

India only recently became a signatory. When they were developing the Brahmos they weren't. And now their relationship with Russia has soured considerably.

It shouldn't affect UAVs much, other than the ones that have the kamikaze setting.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

India only recently became a signatory. When they were developing the Brahmos they weren't. And now their relationship with Russia has soured considerably.

It shouldn't affect UAVs much, other than the ones that have the kamikaze setting.

Couldn’t that be any? I guess it would matter whether the system could be nuclear equipped...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

There are some that have been paper developed that have an interchange sensor system, where the sensors can be removed and warheads put in. They can drop multiple weapons, then kamikaze into a target. They've never really been played with, because that's essentially a cruise missile.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

If china tried to collapse the US economy
a reply to: lordcomac

If they did. Then they would also collapse. The US imported some $478 billion in 2016.

Whose gonna make up that difference?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

There are some that have been paper developed that have an interchange sensor system, where the sensors can be removed and warheads put in. They can drop multiple weapons, then kamikaze into a target. They've never really been played with, because that's essentially a cruise missile.

Indeed that line can get very blurry.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Winterpain

Good points. A few rat faces have been spending time down under in NZ and Australia. Probably checking out their safe havens

Obama welcomed in private by Aust PM

Obama then ...in NZ...Peter Thiel co founder of Pay Pal and Palantir

www.theguardian.com...

New Zealand gave Peter Thiel citizenship after he spent just 12 days there Minister defends approving PayPal co-founder’s application, saying he has been ‘a great ambassador for New Zealand’

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The Chinese railgun ship has returned from her third test series at sea this year. It is supposedly the final of this year. Some are claiming the testing at sea is done. It is not clear at all.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Is the Rail gun turreted or does the whole ship have to turn to aim?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Turreted.

But she's a test ship, not a warship: a converted amphib.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join