It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome To Your New World

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Here's the story. The last two or three months I've gone into my local grocery store, I shop once a month for food, and I have asked where they keep the vanilla, (real vanilla used in baking a whole lot of things). They used to carry a one-ounce bottle for an even $1. I thought that was a pretty good price. But.... they haven't had any of it for several months now. Last month when I went in, (I bake a lot), I saw on the shelf where they used to carry the $1 vanilla, it was now marked $7.16 for two ounces of pure vanilla. That is quite a price increase, let me tell you! Well, it's toward the first of the month today, so I went in there to do my grocery shopping and asked the woman working behind the register, "Where's the vanilla?" She got all hateful with me and said, "We told you last month that we're not going to be getting any more of that $1 vanilla!" I said, "Excuse me, I wasn't asking about the $1 vanilla, I was asking about any vanilla, at any price." When you gotta have it, you just gotta have it - no matter what the price. I added,"But you never seem to have any of the $7.16 two-ounces bottles, either." Now, get this - this is what she told me. And apparently I'm not the first person who needed vanilla. She said "Our distributor doesn't offer pure (real) vanilla to us any longer. We cannot get it anymore." A full grocery store that doesn't sell pure (real) vanilla any longer? That is a pretty significant turn of events, if you ask me.

Society is indeed collapsing, I see little things like this every day. Taken all together, they mean something - and it doesn't mean anything good; I'm sure of that. You'll all have heard the recent anouncement by Ford Motor Company that in 2020, they're going to stop making all cars except for the Mustang and a new Focus; two tiny cars. They said people's tastes have changed and they don't buy cars any more. How can people's tastes ever change back to buying cars when there will be no Ford cars to buy? It's little things like this that keep adding up to a scarier (near) future for the world. Please feel free to add things like this that you have personally witnessed, and that show how things are changing very rapidly and never for the better.
edit on 5-6-2018 by TrulyColorBlind because: Corrected a typo.

edit on 5-6-2018 by TrulyColorBlind because: Correct a typo.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

" Welcome To Your New World "

Welcome to the Scary Real World , it's Been Here a Long Time............

www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-6-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Umm, ok, cars and vanilla. 1.) My grocery store has several brands of pure vanilla at various prices. Sorry about yours. 2.) Ford cars. They did NOT say they were only going to make two cars. They SAID they would no longer make the cars they do today, except two. IN OTHER WORDS, they'll have new models available. So relax. Really.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
www.cookinglight.com...

Vanilla is at an all-time low because the world's largest vanilla producer, Madagascar, has reportedly failed to meet crop expectations, The Economist reports. Currently, vanilla is fetching upwards of $600 per kilo—about $60 more than the price of precious silver. The cost of vanilla is about 10 times what it used to cost just a few years ago.

It's now a luxury....😕

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I make my own from died raw vanilla bean ... I think I bought a few sticks maybe 3 years ago, one stick can be put in a mix of vodka and water and it will last at room temp. up to a year or more.

Either way, stock up on some dried vanilla bean, and keep it in the freezer, pull as needed. If you bake a lot just keep a steady supply of the extract going. It's like a starter for baking, once you get going it can last you years.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

That's some poor customer relations, from personal experience a few kind words and a request for stock usually means I'll get what I want, the alternative is going elsewhere.

Strange, so from your personal experience the land of plenty is slowly becoming the land of not so much?

It's the opposite here, in the UK our choice and capability of asking for alternatives is something all companies are striving towards. It's money... The only issue is storage and loss of perishable stock. A huge problem in the hospitality industry since many lagers (an often tipple here) and some beers will only have a few months shelf life at max. 3-6 weeks is the average.

If it'll sell, stock it.

One thing I've had a problem with here though is finding quality frozen beef burgers, been having to make my own or get some from the butchers.

Tbh we've got a long way to go in regards to even being a match to the choice in the US. Choice and an accommodating attitude towards custom is something I often hear from people in the US.

Maybe find a new store? Check out Asian stores, tend to be cheap as chips and have good if not better produce than more common counterparts. Might even find something else that does the same job.
edit on 5-6-2018 by RAY1990 because: To add

edit on 5-6-2018 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I cant believe anyone ever could have an ounce true REAL vanilla for a buck.

You have any idea how much hassle and effort goes into making the stuff?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   

www.doityourself.com...

You're welcome.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Sounds like your store just sucks, we get bottles of pure vanilla way up here in middle of no where Canada, usually straight from Mexico.

As a side job I work at a grocery store and the price for a good size bottle of vanilla is 59.99$ Canadian.

1$ and oz seems ludicrously low , at my store the the 2oz bottle of fake vanilla will cost you 9.99$

edit on 5-6-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
One thing I've had a problem with here though is finding quality frozen beef burgers, been having to make my own or get some from the butchers.

Those frozen patty jobs (Bubba whatever) are the same mealworm paste the fast food joints use. And the way they're full of air inside there you cant keep them frozen for long without wicked freezer burn (have to break it all down, slide into ziplocks, and ooze marinades in there around them to block it). Even premarinaded they're garbage.

Might as well buy the fancy fresh patties (with bacon, blue cheese etc) already mixed into them, premarinate into ziplock, then freeze.

Or there's those 'tubes', frozen, usually grease bomb meat.

So then the big stores sell it by the pound, for freaking $4.79 per lb and up up up. And that snip lights the grill on fire.

But I go to the little Cuban bodega's up in the city, $2 per pound (sometimes cheaper), and almost no grease to drain whatsoever (from a pan cook)!
edit on 5-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't bake much, but I will cherish the bottle of vanilla a friend brought back from Mexico. I didn't realize it was such a hard thing to get.

Sounds like customer service is even harder, which I have seen LOTS of examples of. What the heck is wrong with people today?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I always used to hear stories about severe alcoholics drinking bottles of vanilla extract i guess contains alcohol. I never really noticed seeing pure vanilla but o never ise it.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The problem is I'm fussy in regards to ingredient content, I expect 90-95% beef on my burgers, mechanically recovered meat is a big no-no for me too... I've found two hotdogs on the market, one's a shop-sourced brand "own brand" stuff seems to be the best on the market atm.

90-95% meat content is reasonable with frozen burgers, it means pretty much 100% beef with room for seasonings and the likes if binding agents.

Never really information on fat/meat ratio, one of the reasons I make my own or prefer a good butchers, I hate it when a burger loses like 40% mass during cooking... It's murder finding thin patty like burgers these days too.

I love making good sandwiches and burgers.

Tbh here in the UK our meat isn't all that bad, I like variety though and using the right cuts for the meal, if they don't have what you want ask for it

Hell I've debated buying a half cow a few times round BBQ season.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
vanilla from mexico is cheap id read up on why that 1$ bottle of vanilla is hard to find hint it contains tonka beans witch are baned in the usa

real vanilla is far more expensive id avoid mexican vanilla extract and pay up for the real stuff ... unless u like eating posion than bye all means

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

Lol.

I'm guessing it's concentrated vanilla extract over there, that stuff is vile from the bottle.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Sounds like Walmart. Was it Walmart?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

They used to carry a one-ounce bottle for an even $1

Real Vanilla, I dont think so, vanilla extract maybe.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Those prices sound realistic...dont mean to be mean but if the OP does cooking they should know the diff between imitation and real vanilla

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Do you want super-ebola? Cuz this is how you get super-ebola!

I think we can all tighten our belts until Madagascar is not battling Ebola or we plant some vanilla elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
things are literally falling apart around us every week everything get's more expensive it's fricken ridiculous

that debt to income ratio is no joke all it's going to take is a straw to bring around a nice size correction and our holy savior the big banks will come in and rescue us

for a price

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join