It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can The Scouts Survive This?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The world has gone mad. I tell yah.

What was wrong with having a BOYScout and GIRLScout program that needed fixing?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What no trans-scouts?

This is so sexist.

What is with this communist acting as a sjw disease that is being spread?

Break up everyone's families and identities.

"We need our men more feminine and passive so they never complain or fight back as we milk them like cows for their labor."

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As other posters have said in the UK (and many other places) scouts have been mixed gender for years and it's generally been a great success.

Membership is up and there are waiting lists to join in many areas. (I believe finding sufficient adult volunteers remains a problem)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

they will need a prophet to dig them up as golden plates

Will that be Travolta or Cruise? Oops wrong religion. Oops wrong cult.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Having the Mormon's get out of Boy Scouts = GOOD.

The Boy Scouts was never intended to be a church group. In fact, it was specifically intended NOT to be a church group. There have been plenty of church groups for centuries, no need to invade the Boy Scouts. The Mormons just use scouting as a recruiting ground to start some early training with their young missionaries...and maybe pick up a few converts along the way.

Getting the "Boy" out of Boy Scouts = BAD.

The Boy Scouts was intended to be for BOYS. It was intended to be a place where boys could be boys, and learn how to be men. It was not intended to be a place where boys would be distracted by girls, or a place where boys could learn to be girls. Contrary to the present PC world run completely amok, there is nothing wrong with being a male, a boy or a man. Don't let PC BS F# it up like everything else! If girls want a club of their own, then fine, go make one. Let boys be boys.

And a final note about the Mormons. Having grown up in Wyoming and Utah, I spent much of my younger years around Mormons. I never really had an issue with them, and even had many Mormon friends (and dated quite a few Mormon gals too). That's changed for me now though, and they've changed too. When I see how they've F#'d up Wyoming with some of their stupid S# it makes me furious (things like renaming historical monuments to support their religion rather than the facts, etc.). Screw the Mormons!
edit on 6/1/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Eventually more girls and people who would have not other wise join the scouts will make up the lose.

They will take a big hit at first but no I don't think this is the end of the scouts.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Well, they may survive, but I'll tell ya one thing...

I ain't never buying another cookie from some grocery store predator and scalper evar again!

So there's that.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
you know what people whined and bitched in 1909 - when lord baden powell formed the boy scout movement - they bitched and whined even more when his sister kick started girl guides

hey - geuss what - the world had managed uptill then with niether organisation - so why shopuld they have even bothered

we are now - alledgedly in the 21st century - things have progressed

we supposedly no longer dogmatically hold to the " boys do this , girls do that " mentality

but hey - here some people are

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I can't see the BSA being stronger financially or even operationally without the Mormons.

If parents care enough about the scouts it is easy to donate.

If parents don't care well that's the way things are.......

I wonder how many people fearing the collapse of the scouts have donated to help them?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Shooting activities are still a part of the scouts.
They even get to decide (or their parents) if they take part in them or not.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I used to love shooting, I used to go shoot killdeer when I was a kid, they ran along the ground at the flooring mill my dad worked at. If they are an endangered species now, I may be partly to blame. I was young, I was brainwashed then to believe that birds did not have feelings, that they were just dumb animals. I no longer believe that, I have befriended many birds over the years.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Not in any of my kids troops. The scouts and their troops were terrible.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
... so perhaps now kids that want it will get it and those that don't wont be forced

A very interesting way to look at the subject.

My parents divorced right around the time I was of scouting age. My older brother didn't have much choice when my dad was in charge. My mom didn't care about anything much beyond cashing the child support checks and buying her cigarettes. I probably would have enjoyed scouting. Might have made several differences in the direction my life took. My brother was distance challenged and didn't continue in the program.

So, we weren't forced. But, being forced might not have been entirely a bad thing.

Anyway, looks more to me like a solid program was taken from the haves and given to the have-nots. For no good reason. It's not like 'the specials' couldn't come up with a parallel program of their own. I'm guessing any such attempt would fail, just as I'm pretty sure the old BSA is gonna be a wash-out in a couple more years. It just feels like something had to be taken for it to be worthwhile, like a conquest.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

They sell popcorn.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Not in any of my kids troops. The scouts and their troops were terrible.

Packs and Troops vary wildly. It all depends on how good the Leaders, Parents and Scouts all mesh. Some were fantastic.....others might as well been a Daisy troop.

You have the let the Scouts make poor decisions as long as they don't kill themselves. Some Adults coddle and protect their Scouts. Those never are able to function with out direct adult involvement. It's sad watching those kind of Scouts at Summer Camp.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I agree.

edit on 1-6-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

As a former boy scout, I actually don't mind the fact that girls are allowed to join up: The boy scouts were created to bring good, conscientious people together, teach them morals, useful skills (in both survival and life), and also give society a few members that can be trusted.

There are many girls out there that meet those traits, and can hold their own - And who's to say that they aren't separating the guys and girls for activities? Back when I went to camp, our pack/troop didn't do every activity with the other guys: We'd do a few activities as a pack, and a few as a mass group to get to know other people.

In regards to trying to impress people vs earning merits - Yep, it'll happen. But it'll be up to the pack leaders as to how they want to handle the situation. I mean, I'd hear tales all the time of the guys sneaking off to the girls camp across the road, so it's not like introducing girls will instantly make all the guys want to do a binary frolic in the forest.

As for why I'm so lax about the issue, I'll tell you guys a band camp story (as us band geeks are way more immature than the scouts will ever be). We decided to camp out on the field for our senior year: 4 guys, 4 girls. Together, we made jokes, put the tent up, ran out for supplies, pranked people, and all hid from the cops when they showed up. In the end, we all changed to our pj's in the single-room tent, and fell asleep. If a bunch of us crazy band kids can do that, the scouts will be fine.

-foss

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So, will girl scouts allow boys? What will they be called?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's not just the Mormons, but many organizations which believe in God and his teachings. As a follower of The Way and a former eagle scout I am offended by this change. My children will not take part in it, and I will not support either boy or girl scout groups by purchasing their cookies and candy. Thank God other off brands are making the same recipes.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TheocraticAmerica

I'm not trying to be a bugger here, but I'm curious on a couple issues:

Why won't you support the girl scouts? Especially since last I checked, they aren't allowing boys to enter the ranks.

And, what is offensive about the scouts letting girls in? I feel that this is a good thing, especially for those girls that aren't into the things that the girl scouts do, and it also helps prepare both guys and girls for, well, working with one another, as they will have to do their entire life.

I do want to know why it's offensive, as a former scout myself (PM if needed).
edit on 9/6/2018 by fossilera because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join