It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can The Scouts Survive This?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I was perusing youtube out of boredom today (a perk of retirement) and came across a video on the Mormon church leaving the Boy Scouts.

The video was shoddy and computer voiced so I will not subject anyone to it. However, it led me to look a little further into the issue (which is what it was meant to do).

Last year the Mormon Church decided to remove their teen members in order to prepare them for mission work (or so they said). This removed 130,000 Scouts. Washington Post Article

Recently, the Boy Scouts decided for various reasons to change their name and to allow girls to join the organization. This week the Mormon Church has announced it will now split entirely from the Scouts at the end of 2019. This will remove 425,000 or almost 19% of the Scouts total enrollment. San Angelo Article

The trade off is an enrollment of 4000 girls and a hope of "many more" over the summer.

I can't help but think the Scouts have driven themselves off the cliff with this last embrace of the PC culture rather than standing up for the values of the organization (those on which it was founded).

A loss of 22% of their cadre is not a pebble that will start an avalanche, it is the side of a mountain giving way.

How many other organizations will do the same as the Mormons and simply create their own groups around the "old" core traditions of the Boy Scouts while the Scouts wither and die out?

Perhaps the Scouts will morph into something new entirely and I am way off?

+1 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Don't worry though. Condoms will be freely available at the Scout Jamboree!

I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Sort of explains why the Mormons are out, doesn't it?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And you forgot the free Planned Parenthood seminars in the event they forgot the condoms.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
They need to get the old copy of the Boy Scouts handbook. Of course, being Mormons they will need a prophet to dig them up as golden plates and translate them with the help of an angel. Then they need to send out missionaries to convert some believers.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Goes to show what a failure "inclusiveness" can be.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Boy scouts.....What does that mean? Translate that to mean girls in any language on earth.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable
Goes to show what a failure "inclusiveness" can be.

Hmmm. not really. Look granted it was the 80's but those troops at the Jamborees from Utah were right out of a Norman Rockwell painting from the spit shined boots to the full uniform's no matter what. I doubt that that fact has changed much. Conservative group and conservative religious groups in particular may not like the direction Scouting is headed and thus rethinking their affiliation with the organizations.

On the other hand alot of those church based troops were almost like enforced Eagle Scout camps / Mills so perhaps now kids that want it will get it and those that don't wont be forced

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
When you abandon the core groups who actually had interest in the organization and have to attempt to bring in new blood from groups who are opposite to the core groups, it does not bode well.

I give the Boy Scouts 5 years at best.

I have no ties to the scouts. Never had enough interest to make it above Cub Scouts myself. It's a private organization, they can do what they want, including implode.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
What do scouts even do now a days?
Is it still camping and shooting and stuff like that?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt

I used to go to scout camp and while everyone was going out to get merit badges, I would be at the rifle range shooting targets. ten bullets for a quarter was the price of the bullets and targets back in the sixties at the scout camp. I doubt if they would even let a fourteen year old shoot at the jamboree anymore. They used to have good ice cream cones and real glass bottles of pop there back those days. I would take about thirty bucks with me so I could shoot all I wanted to.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
They need to get the old copy of the Boy Scouts handbook. Of course, being Mormons they will need a prophet to dig them up as golden plates and translate them with the help of an angel. Then they need to send out missionaries to convert some believers.

And a top hat.
Don't forget the top hat, can't translate angelic tablets without a top hat to peer into...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

What does it matter if the scouts are boys or the scouts are girls? As long as the numbers are maintained?
I had two sons in the scouts and they didn't do anything girls wouldn't want to do too.
I don't remember any activities that required them being boys specifically.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Although you asked about "Scouts" rather than "Boy Scouts" I believe you already have your answer. The Boy Scouts quite literally no longer exist.

Like advancements in technology, societal changes happen at an exponential rate. Unfortunately, I believe the latter is for the worse (primarily because these changes are based on emotions rather than a thoughtful process).

Although I was never a Scout myself, all of my observations have led me to believe that it was an organization that produced (by and large) decent adolescents that were instilled with the desire to help others. After all, there is a reason that a cliche exists that when a group of people are about to do wrong, and one person says "we shouldn't because it's wrong"... and the other conspirators say, "Don't be a Boy Scout."

I also acknowledge (and appreciate) that the Boy Scouts catered to boys. Similarly I appreciate that Girl Scouts cater to girls.

News Flash!!! Boys and Girls are different. Males and females definitely have equal worth but there are differences and in this modern world of "safe spaces" I would think that could (or should) be appreciated.

As demonstrated in some of the aggressive posts in this thread, essentially all "old fashioned" things are attacked which, in and of itself, I have no issue with. The problem is that after the old is destroyed, no suitable replacements are offered.

I'm not THAT old but I find it fascinating (and horrifying) that the Boy Scouts are considered "bad" but calling MS-13 members "animals" is offensive.

Of course, I also grew up in a world where it was IMPOSSIBLE for Toys R Us and Sears to go out of business.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I think part of the reason is that boys and girls of that age have levels of insecurity while dealing with the world (and the opposite sex) so working with fellow Boys or fellow Girls might allow them to speak more freely about their concerns.

I wonder why some people think that is sooo horrible.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
We have had girls join the scouts for years.
Society has not burnt down because of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Naw , ya can buy em online or at certain department stores.
Conflation (or conflagration of conjecture ) ?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I'll just put it this way. The Girl Scouts are getting screwed out of the whole outdoor education aspect of scouting. The Boy Scouts are becoming outdated and still insist on playing Indian when they can and there gps doesn't sinc and they have to have a gluten free meal.
I seent it!

That said the girl is done with Scouts. Had the period so now it's all about being popular and boys. She's independent and can handle herself. Twelve.

The boy in Scouts still refuses to make himself a sandwich or eat anything if it isn't prepared for him.
Must have either chicken nuggets of a certain kind or a thin crust pepperoni pizza for dinner.
Yeah...not my kid.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

When my boys were in Scouting, the LDS held tremendous sway over the organization nationally, not just in their neck of the woods.

Scouting been shrinking for years, losing 20% of your Nationwide organization is a major blow.

I can't see the BSA being stronger financially or even operationally without the Mormons. Especially considering the stress and strain of lettings gays in and adding females. It's a time bomb waiting to go off, especially in this modern age.

I didn't agree with all the Mormon pushed stuff in BSA but you have to recognize they were a huge component of modern Scouting.

I wonder if any Camps were Mormon camps they just let the BSA use.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: ketsuko

And you forgot the free Planned Parenthood seminars in the event they forgot the condoms.

You will probably be able to earn your Sexual Hygiene MeritBadge.

Wonder what the requirements and testing for that Badge would be?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt

I used to go to scout camp and while everyone was going out to get merit badges, I would be at the rifle range shooting targets. ten bullets for a quarter was the price of the bullets and targets back in the sixties at the scout camp. I doubt if they would even let a fourteen year old shoot at the jamboree anymore. They used to have good ice cream cones and real glass bottles of pop there back those days. I would take about thirty bucks with me so I could shoot all I wanted to.

Thats sounds like a blast. When my kids get older i hope there is something like that still around. Or ill just end up teaching that myself. Sounds kinda fun now that i think about it.... "children that fighting position isn't deep enough, keep digging!"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join