It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn’t the Bible specifically condemn prophecy and such????

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
Prophecy is not about foretelling the future. The majority of prophecies are directives about the behavior and attitudes of the people in the present moment when the prophecy is given.

100% incorrect, the fact that you give no source leads me to wonder why...

"Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." ~ Amos 3:7

Christians don't talk to their relatives in heaven. Communication with the dead is contrary to Christian belief.

This has been proven incorrect MANY times, these are not just isolated incidents either...

Might be a good time to reexamine those so called "Christian beliefs".

Again, why no source?

Colton Burpo's case for example, he died and met his own unborn sister that he had never even been told about.

"Colton, still 4 years old, told his mother “you had a baby die in your tummy didn’t you”, which completely shocked them both because they had never told him about their miscarriage. They asked him how he knew and he said that he met his sister in Heaven and she told him what happened."

"Well he’s 7 years old now and it took a couple of years for his parents to really understand what happened, but when Colton Burpo was four years he was having surgery in the hospital for a burst appendix. While he was in surgery he apparently had some sort of out of body experience and could see what his parents were doing. He witnessed that his dad was praying and his mom on her cellphone. Both parents say they have no clue how he knew that, but that it’s absolutely true. And the story just gets more interesting from there.

Apparently during the same surgery Colton went to Heaven where he recounts how he met his grandfather who he had never known, who he later recognized in photos. The interesting thing is that he didn’t recognize photos of his grandfather as an old man with glasses, which is how everyone knew him, but rather as a young man. Colton’s father literally had go find a photo of ‘Pop’ as a young man before Colton was able to recognize him. Now that’s pretty wild.

Four year old met his mother’s miscarried child in Heaven

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yes heaven was created too and there was a interaction with the earthly realm called the garden . Where many of us get it incorrect is translating the word Elohim to mean just God . The writers of the English bibles make a careful distinction by using the big G and the small g . Psalm 82 is very important to understand to get a proper picture

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Isn’t Christian dogma that there will be no more prophets?? no more additions to the Bible???

Religious dogma maybe, I don't believe God is a big fan of religion.

There are only TWO religious systems in the world.

The source of that dogma most likely is the one that satan controls.

"Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." ~ Amos 3:7

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Isn’t Christian dogma that there will be no more prophets?? no more additions to the Bible???

As to no more prophets ...

Very often we think of a prophet as someone in the vein of Elijah or one of the other Old Testament prophets. It's easy to forget that God had stopped using prophets in that vein for a period of 400 years prior to Christ's first advent.

None of that means there were no prophesies during all that time, only no persons recognized as special chosen prophets of God in the way that the Old Testament prophets were.

And while there are prophesies in the New Testament, there are still no designated prophets like the Old Testament ones. Not even John of Revelation was a prophet in that sense. Instead, he was someone who was given a prophecy/vision and told to record it. It may have been the only one he ever received in his life, but that didn't matter. He was obedient to God's will, and it was God's will that the Revelation be sent through him in that time and place.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

Prophecy is not about foretelling the future. The majority of prophecies are directives about the behavior and attitudes of the people in the present moment when the prophecy is given.

100% incorrect, the fact that you give no source leads me to wonder why...

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him. (Deut 18:18) - not about foretelling the future but of delivering communication from God.

Prophecy - Wikipedia

In both cases, the 'predicting of the future' was only a resultant of God 'knowing the end from the beginning'.

originally posted by: chr0nautChristians don't talk to their relatives in heaven. Communication with the dead is contrary to Christian belief.
This has been proven incorrect MANY times, these are not just isolated incidents either...

Might be a good time to reexamine those so called "Christian beliefs".

Again, why no source?

Where are your sources?

I also did not say it was not possible that Christians could talk to their dead relatives, but as was pointed out in the OP, necromancy is very specifically ruled against.

If God granted communication, then the living person communicating would not be at fault for necromancy.

Colton Burpo's case for example, he died and met his own unborn sister that he had never even been told about.

"Colton, still 4 years old, told his mother “you had a baby die in your tummy didn’t you”, which completely shocked them both because they had never told him about their miscarriage. They asked him how he knew and he said that he met his sister in Heaven and she told him what happened."

"Well he’s 7 years old now and it took a couple of years for his parents to really understand what happened, but when Colton Burpo was four years he was having surgery in the hospital for a burst appendix. While he was in surgery he apparently had some sort of out of body experience and could see what his parents were doing. He witnessed that his dad was praying and his mom on her cellphone. Both parents say they have no clue how he knew that, but that it’s absolutely true. And the story just gets more interesting from there.

Apparently during the same surgery Colton went to Heaven where he recounts how he met his grandfather who he had never known, who he later recognized in photos. The interesting thing is that he didn’t recognize photos of his grandfather as an old man with glasses, which is how everyone knew him, but rather as a young man. Colton’s father literally had go find a photo of ‘Pop’ as a young man before Colton was able to recognize him. Now that’s pretty wild.

Four year old met his mother’s miscarried child in Heaven

So, you are suggesting that Colton Burpo performed some sort of divination to talk to his unborn sister?

Sinful acts are a commission of will, not a result of happenstance.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Take note that telling them that they will die like men can only be understood if they were not men

Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV) 82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. 2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. 3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. 4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. 5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. 6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. 8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Yes heaven was created too and there was a interaction with the earthly realm called the garden . Where many of us get it incorrect is translating the word Elohim to mean just God . The writers of the English bibles make a careful distinction by using the big G and the small g . Psalm 82 is very important to understand to get a proper picture

Neither Koine Greek nor Biblical Hebrew differentiate with capital letters.

The English translations were from thousands of years after the source texts and the capitalization was at the whim of the translator.

It is obvious from the New Testament quotation of the passage in Psalms that gives a clear sense of the meaning, as understood in the first century by a devout and educated Jewish Christian.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Take note that telling them that they will die like men can only be understood if they were not men

Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV) 82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. 2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. 3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. 4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. 5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. 6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. 8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Or it is saying that all men die.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Or it is saying that all men die
He is comparing their death to men ..."But ye shall die like men," Someone from Boston is called a Bostonian .Someone from the unseen realm is a Elohim .

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego

originally posted by: Woodcarver

The intention was to prevent people to understand the reality and the truth of things. Once you comprehend the spiritual realm, you understand that GOD is more than just what the bible says.
Do you understand the spiritual realm?

I'm just an apprentice in those matters. Still walking in the desert.
How does one study the spiritual if it is intangible and only consists of opinions and thoughts?

You need to search for it by yourself first.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Only then your teacher will appear. And he will not teach you anything, he will guide you. Because you have to find for yourself the truth.

That is the way of the true oral tradition.

It is then that you will see that the spiritual realm is tangible and more than opinions and thoughts.
You’re telling me to find a teacher to teach me about spirituality? I’m asking you what spirit and spirituality are. What is it? How do you tell the difference between some jagoff talking and real spirituality?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

a reply to: DISRAELI

I’m pretty sure it says a prophet from god is ALWAYS right in his prophecies..

If they are wrong once. Then it is from the devil.
Was jesus wrong about any of his prophecies?

No Jesus wasn't, your understanding of what Jesus meant is wrong and there are millions of,explanations on the net
You are biased and you read articles that confirm yout bias

Jesus kingdom is here on earth, right now, just not the entire earth.
Mostly that part of the earth that exists between your ears.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

How do you know it was your god talking to them?

Because they say so, and (trusting in the Holy Spirit) we choose to believe them. Accepting that point is one of the basic premises of Biblical theology.
But if the words of the Bible don't come from God, then the verse being quoted in the OP doesn't come from God either, so the discussion in this thread becomes unnecessary.

You choose to believe it? Is there no evidence to confirm your beliefs? Do you choose to believe even though there is no good reason to think it’s true?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sump3
a reply to: Abednego

Read again my response. God can choose to choose, call upon, talk to whoever he wishes. Christian or not.

If one has not heard of Yeshua, the scriptures, the laws or even of the Father himself then people are judged by the laws that they are ruled by, societal, self-laws or other ie. how we ourselves judge good from bad. At least as I understand it according to scripture.

I don't think if God would call upon one who wouldn't be able to recognize him. God doesn't do anything in vain. But I wouldn't know, nobody knows the ways of the Father but the Son himself.

Those who have never heard
How do you know what god can or cannot do?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The scope of understanding it would take
to write this thread can not be fathomed.
One for the scholars for sure.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

a reply to: DISRAELI

I’m pretty sure it says a prophet from god is ALWAYS right in his prophecies..

If they are wrong once. Then it is from the devil.
Was jesus wrong about any of his prophecies?

No Jesus wasn't, your understanding of what Jesus meant is wrong and there are millions of,explanations on the net
You are biased and you read articles that confirm yout bias

Jesus kingdom is here on earth, right now, just not the entire earth.
Mostly that part of the earth that exists between your ears.

Haha that's so funny
Believe what you want

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Note: i went to seminary but i am no expert. There are many great resources out there "strong" is a fantastic place to start. Not here for debate.

Deuteronomy is in the old testament meaning it falls under the old covenant that covenant ended after the death and resurrection of christ. The new covenant essentially makes the old (for lack of a better term at 5am) obsolete. If you read the first letter from paul to the Corinthians chapters 12 and some of 13 paul goes into the gifts. However these gifts may not be something permanent. If God wants you to heal someone than you will have the ability to do so. If God wants you to pass along a prophecy you will have the ability to do so. I could go for quite awhile but it's bed time.
edit on 9-5-2018 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I have hope and faith in what he can do according to scripture. I have belief that he has done works in my life. I know for myself that he has done works in my life. Since I repented, was born again and received the Holy Spirit I simply know. It is a personal experience. I commune with him, he communes with me.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I think that part at the end of Revelation only applies to that book, not the Bible as a whole. There have been sects that featured prophesy in the past. I remember one called the Montanists. The Catholic Church has always condemned them as heretics. I guess we would have to examine their thinking to find out why. I mean besides the popular idea that they are just evil and the pope is the antichrist.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sump3

I have hope and faith in what he can do according to scripture. I have belief that he has done works in my life. I know for myself that he has done works in my life. Since I repented, was born again and received the Holy Spirit I simply know. It is a personal experience. I commune with him, he communes with me.
So, you choose to believe because it makes you feel better? But no compelling evidence that you could show anyone? Just thoughts between your ears?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Now you are just assuming on my behalf, nitpicking my words and extrapolating your belief on me.

I have given you my response which I have no need to expand on, it's all there. If you wish to feel it and live it for yourself, ask for repentance, get born again and ask for the Holy Spirit in to your life.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join