It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn’t the Bible specifically condemn prophecy and such????

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

Read again my response. God can choose to choose, call upon, talk to whoever he wishes. Christian or not.

If one has not heard of Yeshua, the scriptures, the laws or even of the Father himself then people are judged by the laws that they are ruled by, societal, self-laws or other ie. how we ourselves judge good from bad. At least as I understand it according to scripture.

I don't think if God would call upon one who wouldn't be able to recognize him. God doesn't do anything in vain. But I wouldn't know, nobody knows the ways of the Father but the Son himself.

Those who have never heard

link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I gave a reply to Abednego on page 1 concerning that.

link   

100% Correct, thanks for adding that...

Theoretical knowledge without spiritual regeneration is useless.

Below this blog post are a couple of excellent comments on this written by a Michael Murtagh (recommend reading his entire comments at the link below):

At salvation we receive a new spirit we were born of God’s seed Titus 3:5 our spirit is regenerated we are made new, born of the seed of God uncorrectable. When you are filled with the Holy Spirit your spirit and the Holy Spirit become one spirit .

To sum it up Ezk 36: [26] “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. [27] “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

So now you have a new spirit at salvation, a new mind at water baptism, then being filled with the Holy Spirit you now can tap into the anointing because you are one with God you’re seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus we are one with him. Now is the time for us to awaken to who we are in Christ Jesus the anointed one, we are anointed with him, we are Christ on the earth his hands extended setting creation free, the power of God, the anointing of God flowing through you , setting creation free the manifested sons of God are coming forth, awakening to who they are.

Vibrations of God | The Physics of Heaven

edit on 5.8.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

We are human beings, we are all sinners. I do not think we can judge all the actions of a person because of one mistake. It all lies within the intention of the one doing the prophesying. Is he doing it intentionally to lie? Or does he believe he is doing the right thing and is tricked by the devil? All of us, the adopted, not yet adopted and the children of Satan all do mistakes.

When a prophet is wrong

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sump3

Your right in the statement. We do not know the way of the father. But we can know the way of the Son, because he who has seen the son has seen the father.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The gift of prophecy is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and comes direct from God, but it is very different from things like divination or fortune telling.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are things you do not control or compel to your will. They come on you as God wills. He sends them to you.

None of the Old Testament or New Testament Prophets ever proclaimed that they were now going to prophesi. Instead, God sent the prophecies to them or sent the prophesies to those around them and gave the prophets the gift to correctly interpret what those prophecies would mean (Joseph and Pharaoh's dream).

The true test of a prophet is 100% accuracy, and they will be 100% accurate because it will have been God who has moved them and not the other way round.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It means you were deceived.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Amen

I bless you in the Son's name and may the Father bless you in his Son's name.

It was a pleasure to have this discussion.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Prophecy is not about foretelling the future.

The majority of prophecies are directives about the behavior and attitudes of the people in the present moment when the prophecy is given.

Prophecy is about communicating a message from God to His people.

Nor do prophets use divination. It isn't the prophets who initiate the process, it is God that initiates and speaks to the prophet.

Christians don't talk to their relatives in heaven. Communication with the dead is contrary to Christian belief.

Also, the majority of Christians who try to interpret prophecies would agree that we have been in the "end times" for thousands of years and that Jesus' death and resurrection marked the 'turning point' in history.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

You might enjoy spending some time checking out Micheal Heiser and the Divine Council ...

Heiser is wrong.

He takes a misunderstanding of the inspecifiity of our modern English interpretation of 'a god' and stretches it to breaking point.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When I look at examples of prophets in the prophetic books in the Bible, they foretell the future. Whatever other message from God there is, foretelling the future is definitely part of prophesy. Deuteronomy 13 and 18 say the predictions should come true and even that you should kill them if they don't. So it's not to just see how they spiritually align with scripture but the prophesy should come true.

Many here are quoting NT but there are lots of prophets in the OT also. They don't have to be Christian. One is not even an Israelite. See Balaam in Numbers 22.

In my Sunday school we were taught that there was an age of prophesy but that is over now and there are no prophets today other than those that are in the Bible. I think some other denominations teach this also. Some may believe there is still prophesy. I don't see anywhere in the Bible that says there isn't except for the end where it puts a curse on anyone that adds anything to Revelation/Apocalypse.

Finally I would like to point out the ancient practice of casting lots or Urim and Thummin. They don't mention it much after the King David times but it seems to have been widely used when the Pentateuch was written. Seems to mostly have been a way to make decisions.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

So when God took on the gods of Egypt He was taking on fictitious beings ? And when these fictitious beings seen the daughters of men and took them as wives and had giant offspring He was just kidding ? And when God told them not to worship other gods He had put over the Nations He created at Babel He was just kidding ? And when Paul said we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers in high places he was only kidding ?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

So when God took on the gods of Egypt He was taking on fictitious beings ? And when these fictitious beings seen the daughters of men and took them as wives and had giant offspring He was just kidding ? And when God told them not to worship other gods He had put over the Nations He created at Babel He was just kidding ? And when Paul said we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers in high places he was only kidding ?

The Bible says that we humans are gods, too (Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34).

The Bible also refers to "gods of stone and wood" (idols) describing them clearly as false. Even by today's imprecise definitions, no-one would misunderstand the use of the word 'god' in these circumstances.

The whole "one and only true God", mentioned many times throughout the Bible, might just be a guide to our interpretation in the few specific instances where it is ambiguous?

Yes, the gods of Egypt are fictions if there is only one true God, as are Heiser's "divine council". It is only out of wilful ignorance that one could conclude otherwise. Definitely, the 'gods' of Egypt seemed unable to fight back. Perhaps because there weren't actually any?

The "fallen" who fathered the Nephilim were not described as gods, either, they were "the sons of God".

And the "principalities and powers" quote does not imply gods at all. In English it is equivalent to 'ranks and rulers'.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The Bible clearly teaches that there is a heavenly realm and that there is a divine council . God has a heavenly family as well as a earthly family . The motif runs throughout the bible . The book of Revelation can only be understood having that context imo . Casting out demons has to be understood using that context . There is a metaphysical world . If not then what is the Bible all about ?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

The Bible clearly teaches that there is a heavenly realm and that there is a divine council . God has a heavenly family as well as a earthly family . The motif runs throughout the bible . The book of Revelation can only be understood having that context imo . Casting out demons has to be understood using that context . There is a metaphysical world . If not then what is the Bible all about ?

The Bible clearly teaches that heaven is created. It's in book 1, chapter 1, verse 1. As such, God is not controlled by forces within the 'realm of the gods' as polytheist pantheons are. God exists outside of and above all. This is the rational strength of monotheism over alternatives where the actions and motivations of 'the gods' can be reasoned to descend into pettiness and manipulation.

The Bible is clearly strongly monotheist from the very first verse. Trying to shoe-horn it into a pantheistic paradigm is a futile failure of reasoning and ignorant of significant content of the texts.

Casting out demons does not imply that those demons are some sort of deity. They are spiritual parasites.

The Bible is not about there being a metaphysical. That is already a given.

The Bible reveals that God has an ordered process for the enablement and elevation of mankind as spiritual entities. It allows us to intelligently contribute to the process or to oppose it.

In The Revelation of Jesus Christ, it is revealed that there are 24 'elders' in the council of God, 12 representing each tribe of Israel and 12 representing the Christian church - all entirely human!

edit on 8/5/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

That is such a cop out..

I mean the
“Christians who prophecies on their own...” part..

Since all revelation is in your head . There is absolutely no objective way to know what is on your own and what isn’t.. “

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

That is the difference...

I’m pretty sure concrete Christian dogma says there are to be no more prophets..

The Bible is the final book. No extra passage is ever supposed to be added..

That isn’t unique..

The Jews say the OT is the whole story.. there will never be another addition.

The Christians say the OT and NT are all the whole story.. there will never be another addition or prophet..

The Mormons day the same.. but add the Book of Mormon on the end..

Every faction claiming “this is the last we will hever hear about it from god” as they lock the door behind them.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Isn’t Christian dogma that there will be no more prophets?? no more additions to the Bible???

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
20 The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21 And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

Acts 2:14-21

So, no, it clearly says that the Lord will pour out his spirit and one of the manifestations of that will be for there to be prophesy among other things.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Isn’t Christian dogma that there will be no more prophets?? no more additions to the Bible???

If Paul is suggesting that the gift of prophecy is to be desired by Christians, how could anyone suggest that there will be no more prophets?

Also, the canon of the Bible has been closed for some time. This does not mean that written Christian works have ceased but it does say something about the sufficiency of canon scriptures.

There is no directive that I know of to prevent new works being added to the Bible, it is probably more of a question of why?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join