It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - There's Something Wrong, Can You Hear Me Major Tom?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
..the stars look very different today.

Was listening to Bowie this morning while getting ready for the day...

Space Oddity was on (Major Tom). I noticed a significant lyric change that stands out like a sore thumb. Skip to 2:15.
He used to sing:
"..floating in my tin can"

He now says:
"..sitting in a tin can"

That's the radio version most of you are used to hearing.. ..sounds pretty foreign.

-----

Others remember it like I do.

Pumpkins (3:00):
Flaming Lips (2:18):
Peter Murphy (2:40 - Got to see him live in '92!)
Gabrielle Aplin (2:00)
The Simi Originals (1:30)
This list goes on and on... tons of regular Joes cover it the way I remember too.

-----

I was able to find residue of Bowie singing it live the way we remember - 'floating in my tin can' (2:30):
You could contend that sometimes he sang "floating" and sometimes "sitting" - but in every live version he sings "my tin can", not "a tin can" - just like the radio version used to be.

Weird huh? The official lyrics state it should be "sitting in a tin can".. (the chorus repeats, on the second he sings "my" - the first chorus used to be the same as the second - we're talking about the first, the examples with time stamps are the first).

-----

So these professional bands didn't bother to learn the lyrics? They're just winging it - going from (bad) memory?

Mr. Bowie himself didn't like the album version, so he changed it and sang it differently every time after cutting the album?

I'm pretty sure other Effected people will remember that first chorus the way myself and apparently a whole lot of other folks do - it literally stands out now.

-----

Bowie was an Explorer and gave us the Dimensional Meta Traveler's mantra:
"I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound and vision.."

..and so much more.

RIP David - and thank you.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
So many artists can't remember the words from their own songs they don't sing them live
They are just people with memories that fade
Yes bad memory of the artists and those who listen

Bowie said he can't even remember recording an album in 76, station to station

Found it

www.spin.com...
edit on 4-5-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

I do remember 'floating in my tin can' from radio play as well. I could be wrong. You could be right.

Unfortunately, all Mandela arguments boil down to 'your memory is bad and you're stupid.'

But I still find it interesting and thank you for posting

edit on 4-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
So many artists can't remember the words from their own songs they don't sing them live
They are just people with memories that fade
Yes bad memory of the artists and those who listen

Love it..

"artists can't remember the words from their own songs"

lmao.. ..right - keep telling yourself that.

Classic. I suppose you have a bad memory, and remember it like we do too?

I'm surprised anything gets done in this world - drivers can't remember how to drive.. pilots can't remember how to pilot.. teachers can't remember what to teach - painters sometimes forget how to paint - and major artists can't remember their own words...

With that said, I have to go ...uhhm, do.. ..something? I thought I did - maybe - who knows? Dang it memory!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I remember it as floating in my tin can too, but it’s possible he mixed it up a bit with sitting in a tin can, or even forgot his own lyrics and substituted one line for another.

Floating works better for me personally anyway, and I see what you did with the sound and vision bit there too
I’d never thought of it like that before...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

No - you're right - the radio version did used to say "..floating in my tin can".

It's changed - it's now "sitting in a tin can" - and has somehow always been that way.

Thank you for your input - that counts as brave 'round these parts.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Maybe something cryptic about the original lyrics?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Thank you for chimin' in!

Not a whole lot of folks will get that reference (thankfully), but I'm glad someone did, fellow explorer!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Illiberation
a reply to: PearjMaybe something cryptic about the original lyrics?

I thought the same thing!!

Because the lyrics specifically say:
"..and the stars look very different today."

Right before the continuous line
"floating in my tin can".

..It's like he knew.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Original is not Bowie but Peter Schilling. Those who cover it take Peters words, Bowies are different.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Bowie stated he can't even remember recording a whole album in 1976
Argue with Bowie, leave me out of it

I just reported what I heard then because I knew I would get some people come along, I linked an article

So don't carry on at me

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

We are the psychonauts, or perhaps space cadet oddities.

As were our ancient ancestors I believe...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

It is quite often that singers forget or have a brain fart and have a hard time with their lyrics.

There are many videos and performances of such acts on the interweb.

And yes pilots do make mistakes and forget procedures, that is also on the interweb.

Are you perfect in your daily work?

Hell, I forgot to put my van in park before I tried to take the keys out of the ignition yesterday..

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj

So these professional bands didn't bother to learn the lyrics? They're just winging it - going from (bad) memory?

Mr. Bowie himself didn't like the album version, so he changed it and sang it differently every time after cutting the album?

I dunno about the rest but yea those two things happen all the time. There's lots of songs sung differently live than on the album...also David Bowie was a fairly big fan of drugs....im assuming they can make every little lyric difficult to remember especially performing live in front of a # ton of people. Even songs i've known for years I still # up lyrics when I play and sing them sober.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
When I was gigging a lot, I played this a few times. The version I played 4 or 5 years ago was “sitting in a tin can”.
It was back during Mitt Romney’s 1st year as President.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Yep - exactly... I lean heavy into that world - as Al and Trent put it; a "Supernaut".
That's the 1000 Homo DJs version..

Al f*#king Jourgensen put it on his own record without Trent's voice here:
Funny that album cover shows JFK in the limo with a target on his head - just can't see the whole car (used to be a 4 seater, now it's a 6 seater).

The next time you're "inclined" - give this a listen. It's about "The Waiting Room" - the area right before total immersion.

Somehow, listening to / watching that while 'in deep' with Diametric Mojo Transference is beyond entertaining..

Got to see Fugazi and NIN live in KC, and Ministry live in Denver, Peter Murphy in SLC, etc - very blessed.

-----

I am a patient boy
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait
My time's water down the drain.
Everybody's moving, everybody's moving
Please don't leave me to remain
..in the Waiting Room

I know what I'm doin' tonight lol

edit on 4-5-2018 by Pearj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I believe in the Mandela Effect but on this one I remember "sitting."

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here's the original U.S. single
1st verse "sitting' , last verse "floating" same as always

What do I win?

edit on 5 4 2018 by underpass61 because: sp

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Hey! I play too, but never covered this song.

That's good input even if it doesn't reflect what I remember, and thanks for being nice about it (star)!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
Here's the original U.S. single
1st verse "sitting' , last verse "floating" same as always

What do I win?

You win a lesson about The Mandela Effect!

The Mandela Effect (ME) is where the 'current reality' doesn't match a large group of people's memory, whom all remember the same exact thing independently, and strongly infer such. So with the ME, there's no need to say "No, see - current reality!" - we all already know that's how the current lyrics are.

That's why I said what I said in the OP. Did you read the whole thing?

It wouldn't make much sense to make a thread saying: "Can We All Agree This Bowie Song Is Exactly How Reality Says?".

Right? That's like a common sense thing.

If you need more help, let me know!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join