It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18yrs old - too young to own guns - yet 16yrs old - Old enough to stipulate gun policy?? - madness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So, these kids are saying they want the legal age to buy guns raised and a person isn't mature enough at 18 to buy some/all firearms, but then how would a 14-18 yr old be mature enough to understand the complexities of the gun debate other than what they have been told. When I was 16 I watched a lot of football games, and played in a number, but I wouldn't even begin to think that I should make policy in NCAA or NFL.

Even if there were an "assualt weapons" ban, such as during 1999 when Columbine happened, did that stop that incident? How do these people think restricting one (or a few) guns is going to stop this, it's like banning a few models of cars because they have been involved in lots of traffic accidents (they are the most popular models & appeal to risky drivers) while 90% of the accidents were drug/drunk/texting related. Outlawing the car is analogous to banning the gun(s).

Do the marchers not understand this or do they just have deeper ulterior motives?

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Now that research on gun violence can finally take place, we will be privy to the complexities soon enough. Then all age groups can learn together.

+17 more 
link   
Are you saying a 16 year old does not have the right to have an opinion on guns?

+32 more 
link   

Because they're parroting talking points without a thought of their own, for the most part.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wrong forum.
edit on 24-3-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yeah well George Soros tells me that they need to be 21 to buy guns, but only 17 to be able to vote.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Well as a 16 year old boy I love guns-because violent video games.

Okay that's a lie, but to play my broken record again-hunting rifles? fine. protection pistols? fine. Anything that can stop a white rhino? no dice.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
So, these kids are saying they want the legal age to buy guns raised and a person isn't mature enough at 18 to buy some/all firearms, but then how would a 14-18 yr old be mature enough to understand the complexities of the gun debate other than what they have been told. When I was 16 I watched a lot of football games, and played in a number, but I wouldn't even begin to think that I should make policy in NCAA or NFL.

Even if there were an "assualt weapons" ban, such as during 1999 when Columbine happened, did that stop that incident? How do these people think restricting one (or a few) guns is going to stop this, it's like banning a few models of cars because they have been involved in lots of traffic accidents (they are the most popular models & appeal to risky drivers) while 90% of the accidents were drug/drunk/texting related. Outlawing the car is analogous to banning the gun(s).

Do the marchers not understand this or do they just have deeper ulterior motives?

You are assuming that any of these children even understand what is going on.

They are just innocents being fed talking points, children being used by the left to further a political agenda.

I am willing to bet that the same 30 year old talking points that they now magically know were sitting in pamphlet form waiting to be deployed before the shooting even happened.

The March of Soros.

I hope some time soon that real liberals start kicking the Marxists out of their party.

It's getting old.
edit on 24-3-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Okay that's a lie, but to play my broken record again-hunting rifles? fine. protection pistols? fine. Anything that can stop a white rhino? no dice.

A hunting rifle would be needed to stop a rhino.

An AR-15 would just piss it off.

A classic example of posting about something you know nothing about.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The kids are right, we do have to address the problem with people doing school shootings, but we need to do it right. Lots of laws are on the books that should have been enforced, multiple calls about some of the people who did these shootings were ignored by police agencies and the FBI. I do know that a neighbor can be pissed at you and can call in telling cops you are a threat. They have to go and talk to the person and the one who called in. I know a half dozen people who would probably call the cops using the gun thing if their neighbor blew snow into their driveway.
I'm serious, I know a lot of people and some people would call the cops on someone if they disagreed with them.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The kids are too young to vote but they make great campaign fodder. Congress critters respect campaign contributions, the bigger the contribution the more they respect you and the loader you voice.

Maybe, if your too young to vote you're too young to protest.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Sixteen yr. old's protested the Vietnam War. The draft would eventually affect them and Vietnam was never a threat to the United States! Mass school shootings also directly affect students of every age including school personnel. These kids have grown-up with the threat of school shootings since the mass shooting at Columbine! They have every right to protest gun violence since they are directly affected by it! These young people have more courage than our law makers. It's sad how many school shootings and lost lives had to take place until the fire was lit under our representatives to start listening to the people.

How many mass shootings does it take until the lives of citizen's are more important than campaign contributions from special interest groups? Unless you're heartless, I can guarantee if a gun supporter's child was gunned down and killed, their perspective on the current gun laws would change.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
not worth it.
Going to walk the dog
edit on 24-3-2018 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
31 yrs ago when i was 9 a robber stuck a gun to my head. I was powerless and scared. He later beat my mother with that same pistol. I completely understand and understood the fear i felt. I lean to the right on my politics and feel guns are needed to protect us from tyranny. But don't pretend a child has no skin in this argument.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

A hunting rifle would be needed to stop a rhino.

An AR-15 would just piss it off.

What if you got a good shot off that directly penetrated his lung?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Are you saying a 16 year old does not have the right to have an opinion on guns?

"You do not have a right to your own opinion. You have a right to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant" - Harlan Ellison

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Sixteen yr. old's protested the Vietnam War. The draft would eventually affect them and Vietnam was never a threat to the United States! Mass school shootings also directly affect students of every age including school personnel. These kids have grown-up with the threat of school shootings since the mass shooting at Columbine! They have every right to protest gun violence since they are directly affected by it! These young people have more courage than our law makers. It's sad how many school shootings and lost lives had to take place until the fire was lit under our representatives to start listening to the people.

How many mass shootings does it take until the lives of citizen's are more important than campaign contributions from special interest groups? Unless you're heartless, I can guarantee if a gun supporter's child was gunned down and killed, their perspective on the current gun laws would change.

Since mass shootings are already illegal, which current gun laws need to be changed?

Maybe we could make a law making it illegal to obtain a gun if you intend to use it in a mass shooting. That should put a stop to all of this.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Throwing out ridiculous memes and the rights inability to legislate reasonable action to protect children is why these school shootings are occurring. I don't pretend to know the answers but I do know memes don't help anyone especially to those of us sending our children to school every day. Mental health and biometric trigger locks would be a moajor step in the right direction in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Gee, maybe they just don't wanna die just yet.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
hm and maybe men who can't even get pregnant should stop trying to make laws about abortion?

yeah i didn't think so

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join