It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban being offered official political party in Afganistan An insult to all injured troops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So i just read that the Government of Afghanistan is OFFERING to legitimize the Taliban as a political party ??? what a smack in the face to all injured troops. What a sad sad leader they have
This is ridiculous has any one heard about this in the US media ?? What does Mr Trump think aboiut this or even any of the US military??

www.bbc.com...://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c8nq32jw5r5t/afghanistan&link_location=live-reporting-sto ry

This is going backwards in the name of PEACE of course.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

"I'll take things happening in #hole countries I don't care about for $500." Alex.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

It might seem like a bad idea to you but the alternative is worse for the people of Afganistan.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
So i just read that the Government of Afghanistan is OFFERING to legitimize the Taliban as a political party ??? what a smack in the face to all injured troops. What a sad sad leader they have
This is ridiculous has any one heard about this in the US media ?? What does Mr Trump think aboiut this or even any of the US military??

www.bbc.com...://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c8nq32jw5r5t/afghanistan&link_location=live-reporting-sto ry

It's time for Afghanistan to decide their own politics. Wasn't that the original intent of the US invasion?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

That is kinda dependent on if you believe the US government’s story that the taliban was supporting alquida....

If not then the taliban was just the wrong backward government. In the wrong backward nation state , at the wrong time..

The taliban didn’t do 911. A bunch of terrorists in the mountains of Afghanistan did. Then the US accused them of hiding and supporting bin laden and attacked.

If you believe that the taliban was in on it. It is a slap in the face..

If you believe that the taliban were ignorant of bin ladens plan. Then really they just got dragged into some craziness, then it is not a slap I the face.

Imagain if the KKK attacked a synagogue in China and then the Chinese government invaded to get revenge on the kkk..

Are the people who fight the invasion kkk supporters??

Prob not..

edit on 5-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Tell that to those who lost limbs and lives over there never mind the Billions spent in your tax dollars to "liberate" them. it's backwards period.

a reply to: MisterSpock

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Why should Afghanistan decide their domestic policy based on the feelings of foreigners?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

America should never really have invaded in the first place.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Tell that to those who lost limbs and lives over there never mind the Billions spent in your tax dollars to "liberate" them. it's backwards period.

a reply to: MisterSpock

Should you not lay the blame at the warmongers that started the war in the first place?

Bush and Cheney are the ones that sent men to there death and wasted billions to enrich themselves and their mates.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I had a few paragraphs and was ready to hit send.

But i deleted it all and im not even going to allow myself to get riled up right now.
Not going to let the Taliban ruin my day.
If i get started, im going to burn this fricken place down.

Im going to keep calm...and just breath...grinding my teeth.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If they want Barbarism and 2000 year old ways of thinking let them have it. You can't help those who don't help them selves.

Sad thing is they will get votes.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

It's time for Afghanistan to decide their own politics. Wasn't that the original intent of the US invasion?

Why did that require a US invasion? No logic here, i guess.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

That is kinda dependent on if you believe the US government’s story that the taliban was supporting alquida....

If not then the taliban was just the wrong backward government. In the wrong backward nation state , at the wrong time..

The taliban didn’t do 911. A bunch of terrorists in the mountains of Afghanistan did. Then the US accused them of hiding and supporting bin laden and attacked.

If you believe that the taliban was in on it. It is a slap in the face..

If you believe that the taliban were ignorant of bin ladens plan. Then really they just got dragged into some craziness, then it is not a slap I the face.

Imagain if the KKK attacked a synagogue in China and then the Chinese government invaded to get revenge on the kkk..

Are the people who fight the invasion kkk supporters??

Prob not..

What evidence have you seen to suggest anyone living in Afghanistan assisted with 9/11 at all?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The tragic part of all this is everybody knew from day one that any resolved settlement in Afghanistan would have to include accepting the Taliban back into the ruling classes.

Otherwise there could never be a peace, and troops would have to be there forever.

And I think this is a large part of why this can has kept getting kicked down the road by politicians ever since. We all know going into Afghanistan was a ridiculous mistake in the first place, it achieved absolutely nothing, it just got a whole bunch of people killed and generated vast profits for the military industrial sector. Bush made a huge mistake because he had to be seen to do something after 9/11.

And since then we've all known it ends in defeat. It ends with the Taliban back in power.

And no politician has figured out a way to spin that as a 'win' for the home audience.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Sounds like one hell of a rootin' tootin' boot scoot boogeying action movie. Kung Fu mullet rednecks LOL
edit on 5-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The US is getting out and letting China take over. This will preclude our getting into a proxy war with China.
China's Afghan Military Base

China Stepping Up in Afghanistan
China Considering Larger Role in Afghanistan

But why is China interested in Afghanistan??

Precious Metals in Afghanistan

I say let them have it...

For more information...
Duck Duck Go is Very Friendly...
edit on 5-3-2018 by NightFlight because: Added last Link er, Putin warned Trump about Hillary trying to hire Russian hitmen.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Get your head out of the sand, it's not for you or any other country to dictate who or who shouldn't be involved in the political affairs of another country, and those troops you so seemingly care for are nothing but cannon fodder for the one percent, it's been that way for a long time now, do you understand?

Peace?

Until the U.S. gives up it's plans of global hegemony, there will never be peace.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
If they want Barbarism and 2000 year old ways of thinking let them have it. You can't help those who don't help them selves.

Sad thing is they will get votes.

Just for the record, that's a huge misconception. The Taliban is a reform movement that was formed in the 1990s. Here are 2 articles that show what Muslim life was like in Afghanistan in the 1960s (HERE and HERE). And the ultra conservative Wahhabi denomination that the Taliban follows is also a reform movement which was founded in the 1700s.

Wahhabis didn't become a dominant force in Afghanistan until Russia invaded and occupied Afghanistan throughout the 1980s. And ironically, it was the US who backed those Wahhabi "freedom fighters" who'd poured into Afghanistan. The book & movie "Charlie Wilson's War" tell one side of the US's support for them, and Pres Reagan even dedicated the space shuttle Columbia's launch to those same Afghan freedom fighters.

So their modern timeline would be:
1. Afghanistan was a monarchy until the 1970s.
2. Afghanistan had been modernizing from the 1950s onward.
3. Afghanistan's king is overthrown in the 70s and a republic is formed.
4. Afghanistan's republic is overthrown by communists in 1978.
5. Afghans resist the communist govt.
6. The Soviets invade Afghanistan in 1979 and occupy it in a brutal war until 1989.
7. Muslims from around the world start pouring into Afghanistan to defend it against the Soviets.
8. Wealthy Wahhabis like Osama Bin Laden also go there and set up resistance groups. Other wealthy Wahhabis simply fund and arm fighters in Afghanistan.
9. The US starts covertly backing the rebels in Afghanistan, including the Wahhabi groups.
10. The Soviets eventually pull out of Afghanistan, and then the USSR falls 2 years later.
11. Right after the Soviets pull out of Afghanistan, the US stops backing the rebels & Wahhabis there.
12. Afghan warlords fill the power vacuum & start claiming the country.
13. The Taliban forms and begins fighting off the warlords.
14. The Taliban wins control over most of the country.
15. Most or all of the warlords and other groups that are against the Taliban are now called the Northern Alliance (sorry, I haven't looked too much into the NA's formation). The Northern Alliance was backed by non-Wahhabi Muslim majority countries like Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Turkey, and Tajikastan, while the Taliban was backed by Wahhabis.

I could go on from there but you should get the point.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
To be honest, although I understand how this might grate on folks, it is the inevitable next step to bringing peace to the nation.

Eventually, all sides must lay down their arms and seek a diplomatic solution, otherwise you are stuck in a never ending cycle of violence and revenge.

Having grown up in England with the spectre of the IRA, the killings and bombings and tit for tat, I understand the anger and frustration (on both sides) but also the need to try to forgive, or at least move on from, the mistakes of the past.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It's their country after all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join