It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Find Something Truly Bizarre in an Isolated Medieval Graveyard

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The discovery was made last year on a small island off the coast of Guernsey and it has archaeologists baffled , in a grave alongside the graves of Medieval monks lay the body of a porpoise , a porpoise that had seemingly been given a Christian burial.

Que X-Files music.

The mystery is all the greater due to the way the animal was buried, which doesn't suggest the dead porpoise was simply disposed of underground.

Instead, it looks like it's been laid to rest, with the body aligned east to west per Christian tradition, and the careful digging of the grave itself suggests it was intended as a solemn resting place.

For that reason, de Jersey expected to find the remains of a medieval monk in the tomb, as the island is thought to have been a religious retreat for monks seeking refuge. But after noticing changes in the soil, which indicated the likely existence of a grave underneath, the researchers uncovered the skull of a juvenile porpoise, which they think has been entombed alongside the graves of other monks since some time in the 14th century.
www.sciencealert.com...

The question has to be asked was this the body of a common porpoise or perhaps that of a visitor from the heavens , an aquatic traveler from another world which afforded it reverential treatment and a burial on consecrated land ?
The truth is out there.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The question has to be asked was this the body of a common porpoise or perhaps that of a visitor from the heavens , an aquatic traveler from another world which afforded it reverential treatment and a burial on consecrated land ? The truth is out there.

Really? Gortex, I'm surprised at you. I can't believe the Great Gortex would write something like this except in jest. What evidence is there of this porpoise is an "aquatic traveler"???? You're just trying to be funny, right?

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever but until the bones are tested and the isotopes show it to be a terrestrial porpoise the possibility (however unlikely) can't be ruled out , it's speculation of the highest order but hey .... I want to believe.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Seems to me it was probably a pet or the interaction between the monks and porpoises in the area constituting a proper burial when one washed up on the beach.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

My other thought was perhaps they accidentally caught and ate it but in a fit of remorse decided to make amends by giving its remains a Christian burial.

It is a curios find and a mystery to ponder though.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

By any chance did they find any markings or a grave stone reading "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish!!"

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Not that I'm aware of but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I think it was their friend.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Makes me wonder what the porpoise was.

(Sorry, had to do it.)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Surely a record of this exists somewhere. It was prehistory and it is remarkable

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
I think it was their friend.

I agree. The monks probably formed an affinity with the animal. It was buried, because it was a friend. and (from a monks perspective), it was one of God's creations.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

This is not the first such mysterious find of a porpoise. I wish I could quote from this fascinating article on the medieval history regarding these "royal fish". Unfortunately, this old IPad is hiccuping today! Check out this Article source and others may gain more insight that this buried porpoise may not be so mysterious after all.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

So he swam here from another planet? Aren't porpoises and dolphins common the world over? We see them at the beach all the time. Perhaps this one was adopted as a pet like Flipper! It was after all an island.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I imagine the dolphin helped the monks catch fish with their nets and in return the monks gave a few fish back to the dolphin, providing a relationship of mutual benefit.

Exploring the related links, I came across this website:

www.newscientist.com...

The dolphin seems to have been one of the symbols of the Pict language, categorized as "Pictish Beast".

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

So he swam here from another planet?

This creature doesn't have to come from another planet, it might well be from here. The USOs might well be under the control of a species that developed a civilisation right down in the depths of our seas. This creature might be one of those.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The question has to be asked was this the body of a common porpoise or perhaps that of a visitor from the heavens , an aquatic traveler from another world which afforded it reverential treatment and a burial on consecrated land ?

Wait.... you are David Childress? I mean, this has to be a line of his from Ancient Aliens!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
I imagine the dolphin helped the monks catch fish with their nets and in return the monks gave a few fish back to the dolphin, providing a relationship of mutual benefit.

Exploring the related links, I came across this website:

www.newscientist.com...

The dolphin seems to have been one of the symbols of the Pict language, categorized as "Pictish Beast".

Now that is interesting....

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Makes me wonder what the porpoise was.

(Sorry, had to do it.)

Bugger beat me!

Anyway, Some fishermen use dolphins to herd fish for them. Ancient Monks used to have fish farms inland for scavenger fish which they could feed, so maybe the porpoise was trained to pen fish in the same or similar way as dolphins just as farmers have dogs to pen sheep.

In edit, I found this video of dolphins creating their own mus traps for fish, (they have other methods too)

Isn't that just something!
edit on 3-3-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, the monks were Catholic, right, and had a vow of celibacy, So.......

As there were no boys on the island.....have you ever seen a Dolphin in a Dress?....Wooo Hooo..!!!

Where do you think the "Mermaid" legend came from.....thats right....this Monk Island!!

That was this poor creatures Porpoise.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Medieval Flipper?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join