It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Find Something Truly Bizarre in an Isolated Medieval Graveyard

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I love corny humor.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

They discovered Avalon. Where Merlin raised Arthur to adulthood.
I'm a romantic.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

So he swam here from another planet?

That would be silly there's no water in space , he could have come in his space ship.

Aren't porpoises and dolphins common the world over? We see them at the beach all the time.

Perhaps they're Universal except space porpoises would likely differ from Earth ones , we don't see much of its body but perhaps they're physiologically different.
I'm put in mind of a story about a "visitor" to the Egyptians who had a close affinity with water , perhaps he wasn't the only one.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Well, the monks were Catholic, right, and had a vow of celibacy, So.......

As there were no boys on the island.....have you ever seen a Dolphin in a Dress?....Wooo Hooo..!!!

Where do you think the "Mermaid" legend came from.....thats right....this Monk Island!!

That was this poor creatures Porpoise.

Brenner, a writer who also admits to having prior sexual
experiences with a dog, said he fell in love with Dolly the
dolphin in a Florida amusement park in 1971.
Dolly “came on to him,” he told The Mirror — and he was
heartbroken when she died about nine months after they met.
The two had their interspecies intercourse after conspiring to
elude the male dolphin that shared Dolly’s pool, Brenner said.

www.nydailynews.com...

.... bit fishy?

edit on 3-3-2018 by radarloveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: schuyler

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever but until the bones are tested and the isotopes show it to be a terrestrial porpoise the possibility (however unlikely) can't be ruled out , it's speculation of the highest order but hey .... I want to believe.

We need to not only think about intelligence but also physical capabilities. Did our brains make our opposable thumbs smart or did our opposable thumbs make our brains smart? I don't think fish like aliens would get off their world or build anything at all without help from a alien race that can build.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever but until the bones are tested and the isotopes show it to be a terrestrial porpoise the possibility (however unlikely) can't be ruled out , it's speculation of the highest order but hey .... I want to believe.

We need to not only think about intelligence but also physical capabilities. Did our brains make our opposable thumbs smart or did our opposable thumbs make our brains smart? I don't think fish like aliens would get off their world or build anything at all without help from a alien race that can build.

Raccoons and squirrels have opposable thumbs, but they haven't developed space travel as far as we know. Cats seem to try and pick things up with their paws as if they had fingers. Otters can pick shells up and rest them on their body, then crack those shells with a rock held in their paws. Birds know to drop objects from the air in order to shatter them.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I love that Star Trek movie with the whales.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Nice find!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Raccoons and squirrels have opposable thumbs, but they haven't developed space travel as far as we know. Cats seem to try and pick things up with their paws as if they had fingers. Otters can pick shells up and rest them on their body, then crack those shells with a rock held in their paws. Birds know to drop objects from the air in order to shatter them.

maybe not...

Although squirrels have thumbs to hold their food, they are not oposable, e.g. They van not touch the other fingers with it.
The raccoon's paws lack an opposable thumb; thus, it does not have the agility of the hands of primates.

I understand all that, but there is a physical limitation to all this that we human just happened to get the best deal in multiple areas to actually build.
edit on 3-3-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Well the life of a medieval monk can get pretty lonely at times...

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

My theory- such as it is:
The porpoise saved the monk- kept returning to the island and probably was seen by the monk enough that he thought it was a sign from god. Porpoise probably washed ashore one day, beached or injured, didn't survive, and was given the burial proper for a sign from god.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

There are lots of porpoise and dolphin in myth and legend.
Could have been symbolic something to do with the story of Calypso.

en.wikipedia.org...(mythology)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Scene in my mind:

A group of monks are sitting around drinking beer one evening a few hundred years ago. One monk said, "You know, I bet one day a few hundred years from now they'll be digging up our graves and saying all kinds of stupid things about what they mean."

Another monk's eyes brighten up and he says, "Hey, I got an idea!"

:
edit on 2018 3 03 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Happiness.

edit on 3/3/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Anything is possible.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Maybe they were lovers.

(Don't be shocked! You know what they say)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

See post above.
(heh)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

That would be silly there's no water in space , he could have come in his space ship.

Aren't porpoises and dolphins common the world over? We see them at the beach all the time.

Perhaps they're Universal except space porpoises would likely differ from Earth ones , we don't see much of its body but perhaps they're physiologically different.
I'm put in mind of a story about a "visitor" to the Egyptians who had a close affinity with water , perhaps he wasn't the only one.

I believe that Space is a form of water that humans don't understand yet.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I believe that Space is a form of water that humans don't understand yet.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

e question has to be asked was this the body of a common porpoise or perhaps that of a visitor from the heavens , an aquatic traveler from another world which afforded it reverential treatment and a burial on consecrated land ?

Medieval monks giving a Christian burial to a porpoise is just too strange. To deserve such a burial in the eyes of monks in the Dark Ages, it must have been an extraterrestrial, because really, why a porpoise?

Oh! it says:

The dolphin has a strong significance in Christianity but I've not come across anything like this before," he said.

Maybe the monks thought the porpoise was an extraterrestrial -- a gift from the heavens. Or maybe they were just hungry and felt bad for eating Friendly Flipper.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join