It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

films generally considered great that people still hate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
any come to mind.

off the top of my head for me i say Glengarry Glen Ross.

that is one of my top 10 films of all time and usually considered a great film with one of the greatest casts ever assembled. based off a play.

i bring this up because while i love it my wife absolutely hates it. i usually watch it once a year or so and last night was that night. she will not even sit in the room with me because she hates it so much.
i dont understand it because it is a #ing amazing film.
heavy on the dialogue. no sex. no explosions. no action scenes.
the biggest part of the budget came in for the effects of rain. lots of scenes with rain.

cool ass jazz soundtrack.

what are some that come to mind?

start this scene at 2 minutes for a taste

ALWAYS BE CLOSING

www.imdb.com...

The real story behind the world of sales. This is a realistic portrayal of what it is to try making a life in high pressure sales with all its highs and lows; promises of fortunes and deliveries of dross. Red-leads and dead-leads are to blame for life's outcomes. Living with "Objection, Rebuttal, Close".

Just sticking this in since your sequence is barred in the UK,

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yentl (GACK, GACK....GACK!) I'd jump out a window before watching this movie!!

Steel Magnolias

Dumb and Dumber - Absolutely the stupidest movie ever filmed...hands down! Friday the 13 part 67, The Beginning would be better.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Yentl (GACK, GACK....GACK!) I'd jump out a window before watching this movie!!

Steel Magnolias

Dumb and Dumber - Absolutely the stupidest movie ever filmed...hands down! Friday the 13 part 67, The Beginning would be better.

I watched Yentl a few times just to understand the oppression Jewish women experienced, because I have an interest in human anthropology and women's role.

link   
Terry Gilliam's 'Tideland' is one of my favorite films.
It was pretty much a flop. I guess it is a little "weird" for the average person.

link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I have never understood why so many thought Napoleon Dynamite was so great.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

I am a huge sci fi nerd.. and waterworld is all good in my book

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I have never understood why so many thought Napoleon Dynamite was so great.

Napoleon Dynamite is a progression into understanding individuality, whether you like it or not. One thumbs up.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Star trek nemesis the most underrated movie of all time..
Love it.. pure art

You ?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
For many years I never understood Jim Carrey. My kids loved him. Now, 20 years later he cracks me up. I now love stupid humor. Love The Three Stooges and can't get enough of Laurel and Hardy.

Nothing better than a well-made Scifi film but absolutely hate all the newer Star Wars.

Huge Indiana Jones fan except for the one with Spielberg's wife in it-awful-unwatchable.

Refused all these years from watching the Mad Max movies but have taken a recent interest in staring at a very young and beautiful Mel Gibson for a couple of hours-forget the violence and savagery-he was a mighty pretty man.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I even like Temple of Doom, but not because of Capshaw.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Anything Patrick Stewart is in-can't get enough. Sexiest man alive and brilliant and hilarious. Love-love-love.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Comedy- Elvira mistress of the dark. Always been my favorite movies and never will be replaced. Parents rented it in the 80s for my sister and me back in the day when kids could watch a movie with a few bad words in it and not have the world implode. And anything slapstick with Leslie Nielsen Dracula, Naked Gun, or Repossessed which even has Linda Blair whom my family knows so that was always fun. Instead of the stomach turning defiling of the crucifix, she turns into an ice cream cone instead for the famous, "lick me...LICK ME,' scene. And again, though kids, my sister and I watched it every day and giggled our butts off when the student in the front row of Father Mayi's class is winking at him and sliding her skirt further and further up her leg toward her ladyness when he gets uncomfortable and says, "Young lady, would you please pull down your dress," to which she says excitedly, 'SURE!" Then she reaches UP instead and pulls her dress down so her giant breasts pop out and the point i am making is nobody died, nobody got all incensed over it, we had a hoot rolling around the floor cracking up, and what do you know, we are normal adults and not into the whole polyamory, pansexual, or casual sex as a handshake culture that the sheltered millennials see no harm in even though so much of that is suppressed in theory but splattered all over network television all the same. Hey,my beat friend next door got the Friday the 13th octiliogy for his seventh b-day that was his favorite again different times. Hmmm. But...also anything Mel Brooks even Charlie Sheen's hot shots or Fatal Instinct, the parody of all the 90s sexual or infidelity dramas where armband asante wants to kill Sean young because she takes his pet skunk to the roller coaster park.

Suspense/Thriller- The Net. Was such a fun movie I think even though I think anyone under 30 in this day and age who attempted to watch it might not get why things are happening since its mid 90s internet technology but still I guess just as possible today, assassination of a politician by hacking into his blood test results and having him believe he has AIDS so he kills himself starting a big domino effect of grief for the lady who found the back door to the intelligence database of politicians medical files and has a floppy disk (aha already outdated) she must get to someone who believes her but she is an introvert, hasn't left home in years and works remotely from home and her identity has been wiped out. Wonderful. And even,minority reports an ok movie. You want a real on the edge of your seat beginning to end too, check out Michael Douglas The Game or Netflix's The Exam. Both interesting.

Sci-fi- weird science- is that really sci fi though? Ghost busters. Lord of the rings was done incredibly with such time restraints.

And I guess other than Elvira, my absolute masterpiece movie of all time would be empire records. I suffer from,something I call debilitating nostalgia though and in fact others have used the same terminology. I ache....ACHE to go back just one single day even to the 80s or earlyvto mid 90s...to a grunge concert or seeing Tiffany at the mall and kbkw what I know now, that it is the best time of your life and it never comes back just 12 hours :_( empire records shows that time just as I loved it.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I am a huge fan of the watchmen, i dont think ive met anybody else who like it.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It's just dances with wolves in space with blue smurfs.

Stupid damn movie

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Love that Movie!

How about the grindhouse movies,
Death proof and planet terror?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Napoleon Dynamite is my favorite movie!!!! Absolute most favorite.

Nobody can say this isn't awesome...courage!!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Thanks for the reminder of Glengarry. I loved that film having worked in life insurance.

My go to "watch once a year" film used to be

Once Upon a Time i America

Might pull it out to watch tonight

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I liked the Blair Witch project, but only know 2 other people that also liked it lol.

My go to movies once a year are Ferris Beullers day off, Stand by me, The lost boys, American Werewolf in London, oh an Elf at Christmas time

I kinda think most people's favourite movies, seem to be movies that they watched when they were at their most impressionable age, usually aged 10 - 16. That's how it seemed to work for me anyway.
Cool thread 👍

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Spacespider

Anything Patrick Stewart is in-can't get enough. Sexiest man alive and brilliant and hilarious. Love-love-love.

Patrick Stewart was totally worth watching in the TV series I, Claudius. His Shakespearean talent comes off with a bang.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
"Dangerous Liaisons" - 1988

Zzzzzzzz......... but my first wife absolutely loved it.

Don't get me wrong. I like John Malkovich, and I think the best scene in that movie was when he dived behind a couch to avoid being seen. But I just seriously could not get into the movie.

edit on 1/21/2018 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/21/2018 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join