It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is marriage the last legal form of slavery?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Sorry if I'm very rude here, but I have to be honest. It sounds so tiresome seeing the same face every day and night for 30 years. Are humans really made that way? Personally I contantly need variation and new experiences. I'm horribly politically incorrect, I know - but I gotta be honest

-MM
edit on 20-1-2018 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

I think you clearly don't understand how marriage is supposed to work.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

People choose to be married.
You don't choose to be a slave.
And slaves can't just leave if they don't like being a slave.

Marriage is more of a commitment.
If you feel like you're owned by someone if you're married, do your partner a favor and don't get married.

Do people really choose? I get pestered constantly by relatives wanting me to get married, wondering what is wrong with me. The latest rumour is that I'm secretly a gay man, lol. What I'm saying is that the societal pressure to get married may be a greater influence than many realize or want to admit.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

Sorry if I'm very rude here, but I have to be honest. It sounds so tiresome seeing the same face every day and night for 30 years. Are humans really made that way? Personally I contantly need variation and new experiences. I'm horribly politically incorrect, I know - but I gotta be honest

-MM

To each their own I suppose.

I wake up smiling every day and thanking the universe that I get to wake up with such a wonderful person who actually puts up with me.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
I've never been married but I don't see it as slavery. Looking at it from the outside, I see it as a growth experience because it looks very challenging. This is especially true from the viewpoint of an introvert because we have much less need for companionship than extraverts.

Sal

To me, marriage is more like a cancerous growth.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I think you clearly don't understand how marriage is supposed to work.

I guess I'm just stupid then.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Gays get married too, so there's still hope.
But yes, people really choose

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
With your answers , what the HADES are you even on about with this thread ?
You already have preconceived answers that appear to be set in stone.
Good luck with your life , kiddo.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

-MM

I wake up smiling every day and thanking the universe that I get to wake up with such a wonderful person who actually puts up with me.

Whatever kind of drug you're on - I WANT SOME ! And please don't say "LOVE", we both know that it's not

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I feel that marriage is the last legal form of slavery, an ugly remnant from a time where slavery in all forms were prevalent in society.

Yah what a stigma; get married buy a house , raise a family, earn, spend, consume. Good little Romans.

Wait, can't we just be friends?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Gays get married too, so there's still hope.
But yes, people really choose

No they don't. And, I'm NOT GAY (notthatitsanythingwrongwithit)...

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
With your answers , what the HADES are you even on about with this thread ?
You already have preconceived answers that appear to be set in stone.
Good luck with your life , kiddo.

Ditto.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Because I intuitively never liked the idea of anyone sort of "owning" me through marriage and telling me what to do - I want to be a free man.

Relationships are about compromise. At some point, married or not, you will need to give in and do what someone else would like for you to do against your own desires. You can either accept that or spend the rest of your life hopping from woman to woman. The problem with that is, you'll most likely only end up with women like yourself, and they will quickly move along too, leaving you with more time alone than in a relationship, but maybe you just prefer to be alone.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I feel that marriage is the last legal form of slavery, an ugly remnant from a time where slavery in all forms were prevalent in society.

Yah what a stigma; get married buy a house , raise a family, earn, spend, consume. Good little Romans.

Wait, can't we just be friends?

Exactly!

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

-MM

Whatever kind of drug you're on - I WANT SOME ! And please don't say "LOVE", we both know that it's not

-MM

Maybe it's something even deeper than love.

I only know that there is no other place/way I'd rather be.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
I'm divorced. I've been with my current woman for 7 years, and we've lived together for 5. We both had kids from our previous marriage, and we take care of all of them as if they're our own. Marriage is absolute, 100% pointless. The ONLY benefit I could think of, and the only reason we may ever get married, is I could add her to my health insurance.

Thanks for your honest reply - leagues better than the rainbow barf that's supposed to be "opinions" so far.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Oh good, another non conformist. Theres this 'formula' for life they ingrain into everyone, very few people question the formula, only feeling complete if they follow it , doing what they are told.

Thank goodness I never measure up.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I agree, it definitely can be, for a man (in your case), or a woman! I do have a girlfriend, but I prefer to live alone, or at least have my own room. I have weird habits, like strange sleep schedules, strict but somewhat random budgeting practices, etc.

I don't like the idea of controlling my wife, or my wife controlling me. I guess it doesn't have to be this way, though.
edit on 20amSat, 20 Jan 2018 08:13:44 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have been married to same woman for 41 year. There have been many up and downs that go with the physical changes of natural aging. Yet neither of us feel like slaves. Recently my wife and I had to spend time apart due work.. I missed her terribly. She is not my slave but she is my best friend.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I have a gay friend who got married a while back, he' divorced now, though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join