It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is marriage the last legal form of slavery?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I'm in my 40s and have never married, I’m not unattractive, poor, or too weird to find a partner - I just don't want to get married. Why? Because I intuitively never liked the idea of anyone sort of "owning" me through marriage and telling me what to do - I want to be a free man.

I feel that marriage is the last legal form of slavery, an ugly remnant from a time where slavery in all forms were prevalent in society. Am I the only one that feels this way? I would like to know what you guys & gals think. Thanks.

-MM
edit on 20-1-2018 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Each to their own. You are only a slave if you marry a husband/wife that treats you like one. It' your choice.
Husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary last year and we are going strong. Reason is that we are soulmates, lovers, best mates and don't listen to others. I don't feel at all like a lave, I feel lucky that we found each other.

If you are saying that you don't need a certificate to be happy, you are right but having it in writing does feel very, very nice when you've made the right choice. It's not an easy ride by all means but you stick with it and never, ever have little 'break ups' or talk about divorce, at least we don't. It's not on the cards. We have worked through hard times but we worked through it because we love each other and trust each other as if we were blood related.

Don't marry for lust alone, marry your best friend and expect changes throughout. People always moan that things change in a relationship. Well duh, nothing ever stays the same. You just adjust with the flow.

That's my 5 pence worth. Good luck, whatever you decide.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Maybe a few men have similar thoughts. What you are describing is not what marriage is though, it's a lifelong relationship a partnership. What your struggling to describe is something else, a selfish or self life. Both work, but one not as effectively.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Why can't you live with your soul mate without being married?

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Why can't you have a life-long partnership without being married?

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

"Marriage is like a 3-ring circus.
You have your engagement ring,
your wedding ring,
and your suffer-ring."
-anon

Seriously? If marriage is slavery, I don't want to be free. When you find the right person, you'll look back and wonder how you ever survived without them.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Why can't you find the right person and live with them without being married?

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
You certainly can, and it's official in every country. When God is involved as the institution has been for millennia, it becomes a union of body and soul.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If your looking for permission or absolution, then you will be looking a long time. Good Luck.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I don't buy that - what does it even mean "union of body and soul".

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
If your looking for permission or absolution, then you will be looking a long time. Good Luck.

Neither.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

Why can't you find the right person and live with them without being married?

-MM

I suppose you could, if that's what you both wanted.

You're still young, attitudes could change.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I've never been married but I don't see it as slavery. Looking at it from the outside, I see it as a growth experience because it looks very challenging. This is especially true from the viewpoint of an introvert because we have much less need for companionship than extraverts.

Sal

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
No prisoners in the American criminal justice system are.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
MerkabMeditation, obviously you havn't come for answers or opinion. good day.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Or, perhaps your attitudes could change.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

Or, perhaps your attitudes could change.

-MM

Been married for 30 years, not likely. Best 30 years of my life as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
MerkabMeditation, obviously you havn't come for answers or opinion. good day.

At least you are half way correct - I'm interested in opinions but not answers. There are no answers, only opinions.

-MM

edit on 20-1-2018 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

People choose to be married.
You don't choose to be a slave.
And slaves can't just leave if they don't like being a slave.

Marriage is more of a commitment.
If you feel like you're owned by someone if you're married, do your partner a favor and don't get married.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm divorced. I've been with my current woman for 7 years, and we've lived together for 5. We both had kids from our previous marriage, and we take care of all of them as if they're our own. Marriage is absolute, 100% pointless. The ONLY benefit I could think of, and the only reason we may ever get married, is I could add her to my health insurance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join