It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you correlate education with intelligence??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

My answer:

No

Fun fact:

Intelligence is subjective

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
As I type this, the top thread is by "theantediluvian" this thread has may parts, but the part I found interesting it talks about high education vs low education states. How many people really believe that a college degree is a sign of intelligence?

In America, basically anyone can go to college. There are so many degrees that anyone with any intelligence level can obtain.

So do you believe people with a college degrees are smarter then people without college degrees?
Do you believe people with college educations make better neighbors then people without a college degree?

Education is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing you don't put a tomato in the fruit salad.

I'd say on average, people with degrees tend to be smarter in a book sense, but that doesn't necessarily translate into common sense, street smarts, or even logic. There are a lot of people with fancy degrees and not a lick of ability to think logically outside of their field of study.

Degrees are signal of likely intelligence. It is almost like profiling in a way. It just makes it easier to ascertain if someone has a base level of intelligence without having to necessarily getting to know them in depth.

Plenty of successful people without degrees. A very large number of billionaires and other super successful people are dropouts.

The trick is how you define intelligence. A brain surgeon is smart by most measures. However, I've know some that would get hustled by a 13 year on the subway.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

It's all individual and field dependant. Some people can recite anything from memory it doesn't mean they can apply the material in real life. It's also depends on if the person has the ability to break down the nuiance of basic concept and reconstruct to under how it applies in other areas.

My experience with college has displayed more on learning rules, terminology, and what to do vs the basic concept and the why.

Of course I believe the world works this way in various other avenues as well, we are too focused on the where, when, and who these days. The important questions are why,how, and what does it mean on a broader scale.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The uneducated issue came from the last election... as in uneducated deplorable voters.

The dictionary defines uneducated as unable to read or write, or having an extremely low proficiency to do so.

To the democrats, uneducated simply means anyone who does not agree with them.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

No. Because ignorance doesnt equate to stupidity. To be ignorant to something isnt inherently an insult.

And their High vs. Low Info is total BS related to their MSM / university social identity indoctrination. Go posting a thread powerpacked with sciencey citations and they'll run for the hills.
edit on 18-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Knowledge and intelligence are two entirely different things. Intelligence is not something you can increase or improve by learning or knowing things.

The only real correlation between the two is that having a higher IQ makes it easier to learn and retain knowledge (with some specific exceptions*), while a lower IQ usually makes it more difficult (again, with some specific exceptions*). A person can have such low intelligence that learning or remembering certain things simply is not possible for them (a person with mental retardation will never be a neurosurgeon), but a person can never be too intelligent to learn or remember something (a genius can always be a janitor).

*There are different kinds of intelligence. A person could score extremely high in most, but extremely low in another. For example, someone may be able to perfectly memorize anything they see and visualize extremely complex concepts, but be retarded in their ability to convey their thoughts verbally or in writing. An example of this could be seen in a savant who can draw an entire city from memory or recite back strings of hundreds of characters, but for all other purposes be essentially retarded.

I hate it when people equate knowledge to intelligence. College is designed so that the average person can get a degree and a job with it, but statistically speaking, the average person is rather unintelligent (not to mention those below average). My mother went to college and became a nurse, and I'm pretty sure she'd qualify as mentally retarded (which is part of the reason hospitals scare me). For example, she thinks the sun and the moon are the same size because that's what they look like in the sky. The other day she asked me "how many are there" while looking at 12 gallon jugs of water, because apparently she couldn't count them out... All 12 of them. It's difficult to even have basic conversations with her because intellectually she's on the same level as a small child... And yet she went to college and somehow became a nurse. I honestly have no idea how she managed that, but her IQ certainly didn't magically increase when she became a nurse.

She probably killed people...
edit on 1/18/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

All college degrees aren't equal, obviously, but I have seen numerous students quit before obtaining a degree because they can't meet the math requirement for a bachelors or associates degree. It is a lot more common than you think.

Do I think the ability to perform algebra and understand statistics is a mark of intelligence? No. But it is a factor in how educated a person may become, due to the requirement. I know that throughout the western US, the ability to do college algebra is required, even for a degree in art or literature. I suspect that there are a lot of highly educated people out there who never passed that class, still owe money for school and hold zero degrees.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Intelligence is one thing, and education helps with that, but wisdom is more important. Wisdom is your life experiences and what you learn from them. Besides, you can boost your education and intelligence by reading...for free...from the library.

Would you rather have the top graduating recruit from West Point lead you into a battle in war or a Se argent who never went to college but has seen action. he may not be as intelligent but...

Would you rather hire the top student at Harvard business college to run your restaurant or the guy with no college education that has ran a successful restaurant in the past. I'll take the experience every time.

I know many dumb people that get high grades and have college degrees who work dead end jobs and hate life. I've also beaten many people in job interviews...and gotten the job. Me never having finished college and them having a degree. In the end intelligence doesn't matter.

I'm also terrible at Math...like stupid dumb. Yet I run my own business because I know how to use software, Google, a calculator, excel and I hire a world class accountant for tax time. Intelligence, again is over rated.

In the scheme of things and by societies standards I'm stupid. Yet I'm wildley succesful. It's because of Wisdom and it's because of drive and effort and being willing to admit that Idon't know everything and that I'm open to learning new ideas is way more important than intelligence.

Wisdom. Experience. Drive. Heart.

edit on 18-1-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Do you correlate education with intelligence??

Two entirely different things.

Intelligence is knowing how to use what you've learned.

What people call 'smart' in the 21st century is nothing but parroting.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

So do you believe people with a college degrees are smarter then people without college degrees?
Do you believe people with college educations make better neighbors then people without a college degree?

You're mincing your metaphors a bit here. You have one question on intelligence and another on lifestyle. The answer to the first question is "No, but." It's obligatory to point out differing backgrounds affect intellectual performance. Is that a big enough statement to cover it or do we need to go into it in more depth? As this is not a dissertation I'll go with the former. So basically we can have a lot of intelligent people who, for one reason or another, are not educated. Any argument there?

The opposite is also true. Because we believe in "education" we in this country have gone out of our way to provide it to anyone who wants it. Leaving aside the easily available college loans and resulting crippling debt for the moment, there are so many scholarships and grants available, especially to anyone who can label themselves "disadvantaged," that there is no good reason why anyone who wants to cannot attend college. Therefore many people have, even though they are not really academically qualified. And for them we have the liberal arts--no math required. Math is difficult to fake. Sociology is easy to fake because all you need to do is spout the party line and you'll pass. Intellectual rigor is lacking. And colleges accommodate this by lowering standards. That's why we have so many college graduates working at McDonalds. They really don't qualify for anything else.

None of these are the real answer, though. The answer is that education tends to enhance intelligence and not having an education tends to suppress it because you'll never achieve your potential. An otherwise intelligent person cannot hope to understand advanced particle physics or structural engineering techniques without rigorous study over many years. You cannot build a bridge or launch a rocket ship unless you can do the math and apply the equations. Elon Musk did not build the Falcon 9 by hiring otherwise intelligent people with no educations to speak of. He hired engineers with Masters degrees and PhD's. If you don't have one you may be quite intelligent, but you don't have the required education to be useful in those fields.

So another way to frame the answer is that an education can be of great benefit to otherwise intelligent people and of no particular benefit to those who are not. We can debate the proper measurement of intelligence elsewhere to answer those people who claim they put their pants on the same way as anyone else, so they're just as smart even though they scored 90 on an IQ test, but that's a different argument and wasn't the original question here.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would say that it depends upon the institution and degree.
PhD from UC Berkley in math, I would say that you are indeed very intelligent.

If you have a two year degree from a junior college in Sociology there may or may not be a correlation.

Intelligence in one area does not necessarily mean that you are intelligent in all areas.

Also, you could be very intelligent yet not have the means, opportunity or motivation to attend college. So being intelligent does not mean that you have to go to college.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I don't believe knowledge feeds intelligence, and I went out of my way to not earn a degree in college. Part of my demeanor wants to show itself that following what books say isn't the only path to mental freedom as society likes to push on us.

It's the wrinkles in the brain and surface area of the brain that allows for higher processing power. Find the person with the most grey matter in their brain, and one has then found the person that is more intelligent than most.

Albert Einstein... his brain had at least 10% more of this than the common man. Not only did he have it, he used it. Being born with the hardware doesn't always equate to superior output.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Yes.

Intelligence seeks education. Education does not demand intelligence. Education without intelligence is programming.
Intelligence without education is wasted.

Intelligence seeks mental and physical challenges, formal education is nothing more than a mental challenge. There are physical equivalents.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Great post... I agree entirely and firmly believe that this debate is steered off course by people not first stopping for a second and realizing that there are fundamental differences between knowledge transactions that may or may not get processed for the long haul

I see it as follows: learning is what we each do for ourselves individually, and education is something that someone else is doing for us. Maybe some people thrive when the knowledge is given or forced on them, while others may need to learn for themselves for something to stick. In the end, this debate will always be a tabloid opinion column, as synapse travel is as unique as a fingerprint, and no two people have identical synapse schematics....

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
"So do you believe people with a college degrees are smarter then people without college degrees?"

I believe the word you are looking for is "than".

Yes, the basics help. I'm not a grammar Nazi, but having poor grammar in an op asking this question should at least have the spelling right.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't know about all that rigamarow but do know that College was a fun 9 years...

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Knowledge (as in getting a degree) means nothing unless the individual has an inquiring mind to continue to learn throughout one's life and apply that newfound knowledge.

Intelligence can be born or acquired through intense study and application.

Each individual contains different qualities and pursues what pleasures them or what they need to acquire the lifestyle they want.

So many other areas in personality building including childhood experiences, opportunities (given or made), and innate abilities could be included in this discussion.

Any yes or no answers are just too simplistic. I'm sure there are many books with differing opinions by scholars but who really cares? Humans are always evolving as evidenced in society, sciences, etc.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You pretty well nailed it..

As an aside, I would put Samuel Clemons up against most any college educated.

Then you have masters like Trey Gowdy and Ben Shapiro..

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
nope .
have known people who didnt even finish primary school that were more intelligent than university graduates . not to mention they were better workers than most university grads .

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

. A strong curriculum aids that natural curiosity. With out that natural curiosity that curriculum becomes programming.

Institutionalized curriculum is brainwashing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join