It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ratings are in, but what do they mean?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Last nights college football championship game pulled in a great 16.7 rating.
Up 9 percent from last year with one of the teams being the same.
That is also with two south east region schools.

espnmediazone.com...

But over the weekend, the NFL had four games that had at least a 10 percent drop in ratings from the year before.
These were close games too, not blowouts.

www.si.com...

Now the NFL still has very good viewership but they must be concerned with losing 1 in 10 viewers.

I can only speculate that this is a result of politics since one is going up.

Anyway, the numbers are interesting.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Didn't Trump attend? He got one of those standing ovations....?

It WAS a Bama game. That's why most of the people I know watched it.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I live in big ten country.
It's that or notre dame.
Bama is not a big draw here.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm in Big 12 country. You're only watching here if you care that much about football itself. No one here had a real dog in that fight. We didn't watch because those teams aren't ours and neither is the conference.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Overall television viewership is down in step with the NFL numbers drop. Still, of the top 30 live televised events on broadcast stations in 2017 (by ratings numbers), 20 of them were NFL games.
edit on 9-1-2018 by usernameconspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I sometime work for a ESPN contractor as a sound perab operator. Until advertisers start pulling spots; College and pro NFL extreme action sports will still be a viable marketing platform. 10.66 mil viewers ain't to shabby....

www.statista.com...

Demographics plays a biglly part as well. Even at the Bowl games students just aren't interested like in years past.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

That might explain the nfl loss but not the college gain.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yup, advertisers are the big bucks.
But as viewership drops, the amount advertisers will be willing to spend will drop.
They pay to be seen by an audience.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yup, advertisers are the big bucks.
But as viewership drops, the amount advertisers will be willing to spend will drop.
They pay to be seen by an audience.

They have plans to expand viewership, game attendance, with offers of free tickets, sweepstakes, $1 beer nights, coupons for food processors, free T shirts and topless cheerleaders. Just like NASCAR and rasslin. Doin' business the American way...

edit on 9-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I don't think NASCAR and rasslin are doing very good either.....lol

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
What other country can a person earn 20 million dollars a year playing a sport? Funny thing, white people are so evil, according to some, why is it that people trying to escape the countries they were born in, are all trying to go to countries where the society was started by white people?

Never heard of anyone risking their life to sneek into any African countries. Why is that. If white people are so terrible, why do refugees always try to get into the USA, Sweden, Norway, Italy, Australia, Great Britain, Germany?

I am not a racist. I am a realist.

The people that had slaves should burn in Hell. My ancestors did not have slaves. I have always been very kind to African Americans. I treat people by their actions, not their skin color.

My attitude toward Blacks turned to the negative side during the LA riots. When you see three black thugs pulling an innocent man from his truck, and then begin beating him senseless, then celebrating their animalistic behavior, that was too much for me.

Take the Baltimore riots. Blacks jumping and celebrating as a car burns.

Yes there was, and is absolute atrocious things done to people of African American descent. But burning down your own city,, and then celebrating it, does nothing but make the people that were on their side, do some deep thinking about the behavior of certain ethnic groups.

We are all the same on the inside, and maybe someday everyone will treat everyone as such.

If these overpaid whiny athletes had too play in a football league in Africa, they would be lucky to get a couple goats for their effort.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: zeta55

Sorry I did get off the original questions as to the ratings. This has just been bubbling up inside of me, and felt I neede to vent. As far as the NFL. I will never buy a ticket, ever.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: zeta55

Soccer players in Europe are the highest paid athletes I believe.

www.google.com...
edit on 9-1-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Nothing to do with politics, the long term trend for football ratings has been downwards.

This year it was 10%, last year it was 8%.

People are just watching less football, probably because they're streaming more.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

But why was the college game 9 percent higher?
I get that the NFL has dropped.
But shouldn't college football drop for the same reasons?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: zeta55
I am not a racist. I am a realist.

The people that had slaves should burn in Hell. My ancestors did not have slaves. I have always been very kind to African Americans. I treat people by their actions, not their skin color.

My attitude toward Blacks turned to the negative side during the LA riots. When you see three black thugs pulling an innocent man from his truck, and then begin beating him senseless, then celebrating their animalistic behavior, that was too much for me.

I really hate to break it to you, and I'm not saying this to insult you, but you are a racist.

You cannot say 'I am not a racist', and then say your attitude to all blacks changed because you saw three 'animalistic black thugs' beating somebody up during a riot.

All blacks are not these thugs.

Judging all people of the same skin colour by the actions of a few, is the very definition of racism.

Why didn't your attitude towards all white people change when you saw a swastika bearing white supremacist murder an innocent woman in Charlottesville? Same thing, no? Dude was white. he behaved in an animalistic white thug way, so by your logic expressed here...

I'm not having a go at you, I'm just trying to illustrate the problem when people say 'I am not a racist', but then go on to say something very racist.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

But why was the college game 9 percent higher?
I get that the NFL has dropped.
But shouldn't college football drop for the same reasons?

Good question. What are the figures? When you're dealing with a smaller number of viewers, bigger percentage swings are possible.

Is the quality of the football just better on college football? Did their ratings also rise last year?

Good question though, I bet people are poring over that one tryign to find the answer.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

College is a more honest game still. They haven't quite killed it yet.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Should have been more careful in my use of words. My attitude toward "some" blacks changed, not all. Most black people are wonderful people.

As far as my attitude changing towards whites....I said people that had slaves should burn in hell, just like the swastika wearing white thug that ran over that woman.

I don't have a very high regard for humans in general. We are the only animal that destroys our own environment.

I just don't care for people that complain about their position in life, but do nothing to improve it, on the other hand they help to create their so called bad luck in life by bitching and complaining, instead of taking full advantage of all the opportunities available to them.

I just get sick and tired of white people being demonized and never given credit for all they have done to advance people of the world. Like, let's say, 95 % of all the inventions, and advancements that have made life better for all.

There are many fine black people in the US that are stating the facts regarding the plight of their fellow blacks, but they seldom ever get credit for what they say , or are regarded as kooks.

The people I despise most, are the Lear Jet Liberals, that tell the peasants to curb their output of c02, to help control global warming, while they live in houses that are 20 times larger than the average peasant. On top of that, they have vacation houses all over the world, use private jets, consume hundreds of times the amount of forests in the building of their castles and yet they are so stupid they cannot see the absolute hypocrisy they are spouting. Boggles my mind.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully someday all the people of the Earth will work together for the benefit of all.

Hopefully Someday

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

College football doesn't have a commissioner who has essentially ruined his league's product in various ways in the name of making himself the centerpiece of the league. Goodell is a bad commissioner, period. I don't mean bad in the vein of Gary Bettman's early years, or even bad like Bud Selig's hairbrained attempts to make the All Star game relevant, I mean "Goodell is encroaching on David Stern as the most meddlesome, arrogant man in sports" bad. His petty war with Tom Brady, his botching of the Ray Rice incident followed by totally going off the rails and overkilling subsequent domestic violence accusations, his entire tenure has been one bad decision after another.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join