It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gentleperson's guide to forum spies [and other disinformation actors]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
In The gentleperson's guide to forum spies, several key concepts are presented by the author in regard to detecting coordinated disruption/deception/disinformation and how you can recognize them.

Disclaimer: This is not intended as a guide for disruptive individuals, and it is widely distributed on the web. I am not encouraging anyone to break the TAC or common rules of etiquette. This information is provided entirely for the purpose of learning to recognize some of the methods these individuals employ to disrupt the free exchange of truthful information in a timely and reliable way.

COINTELPRO Techniques for dilution, misdirection and control of a internet forum..

There are several techniques for the control and manipulation of a internet forum no matter what, or who is on it. We will go over each technique and demonstrate that only a minimal number of operatives can be used to eventually and effectively gain a control of a 'uncontrolled forum.'

Technique #1 - 'FORUM SLIDING'

If a very sensitive posting of a critical nature has been posted on a forum - it can be quickly removed from public view by 'forum sliding.' In this technique a number of unrelated posts are quietly prepositioned on the forum and allowed to 'age.' Each of these misdirectional forum postings can then be called upon at will to trigger a 'forum slide.' The second requirement is that several fake accounts exist, which can be called upon, to ensure that this technique is not exposed to the public. To trigger a 'forum slide' and 'flush' the critical post out of public view it is simply a matter of logging into each account both real and fake and then 'replying' to prepositioned postings with a simple 1 or 2 line comment. This brings the unrelated postings to the top of the forum list, and the critical posting 'slides' down the front page, and quickly out of public view. Although it is difficult or impossible to censor the posting it is now lost in a sea of unrelated and unuseful postings. By this means it becomes effective to keep the readers of the forum reading unrelated and non-issue items.

This is a method to bury important topics by using a series of accounts (usually controlled by the attacker or other aligned entity) to push the relevant material down the page (or to the next page, in some cases). The best way to detect this attack is by noticing a series of posts rapidly ressurected/being created.

For example, a series of anti-Trump threads begin appearing or otherwise reappearing to suppress a non-partisan tax policy analysis.

Because the work is not my own, I won't link to each important bullet. Instead, I will recommend those interested visit the link at cryptome and have a read.

cryptome.org...

Stay vigilant

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I think there are bots flagging trump posts.. not just for, but against him as well..

If you go down the list. Almost every trump post quickly gets between 50-70 flags..

Almost no matter how trivial, untrue or just ridiculous..

While well thought out OPs with way more traffic get 7 to 20ish..

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Agreed

I noticed this myself JC. No doubt there is a lot of influencing going on, in both ways!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

It's all about keeping everyone focused on Trump.

Whether or not he's truly "part" of it (I still cant decide) is irrelevant.

The MSM game is just keeping a focal point away from The True Corruption is their whole 'trump card' game.

Half the stuff he's doing they dont even report on, meaning the stuff they do report on is what to ignore.

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Trump is awesome.

Waiting for all the stars...

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

If a very sensitive posting of a critical nature has been posted on a forum - it can be quickly removed from public view by 'forum sliding.' In this technique a number of unrelated posts are quietly prepositioned on the forum and allowed to 'age.' Each of these misdirectional forum postings can then be called upon at will to trigger a 'forum slide.' The second requirement is that several fake accounts exist, which can be called upon, to ensure that this technique is not exposed to the public. To trigger a 'forum slide' and 'flush' the critical post out of public view it is simply a matter of logging into each account both real and fake and then 'replying' to prepositioned postings with a simple 1 or 2 line comment. This brings the unrelated postings to the top of the forum list, and the critical posting 'slides' down the front page, and quickly out of public view. Although it is difficult or impossible to censor the posting it is now lost in a sea of unrelated and unuseful postings. By this means it becomes effective to keep the readers of the forum reading unrelated and non-issue items.

It's happened alright, I only had one word for them all though!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I think there are bots flagging trump posts.. not just for, but against him as well..

If you go down the list. Almost every trump post quickly gets between 50-70 flags..

Almost no matter how trivial, untrue or just ridiculous..

While well thought out OPs with way more traffic get 7 to 20ish..

Mostly ridiculous I have found. I find the number of stars fascinating too, and I even saw a thread started, with the first reply....exactly the same time...wonderful that!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

This information gets posted time and time again as the years roll on so there's no new ground covered here.

Are there "bots" here? Dunno, you have to ask the Mods about that. Are there members with multiple accounts? Maybe but the Mods can tell when posts from the same IP come flowing in but again, the Mods would have clarify and I'm sure they won't.

Are there shills here? Could be but none of us know the answer to that. All we have is our opinions. Again, the Mods could clarify but they won't talk about banned accounts and whatnot so the mystery will never be solved.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

No matter who launched the bot, the algorithm wouldn’t be smart enough to decipher pro from con articles.

So I guarantee it was only one side who launched them..

Which one is debatable, but the fbi SPECIFICALLY said Russian agents had infiltrated social media to push pro-trump conspiracies. Well wouldn’t the premier conspiracy forum be high on that list??

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I think this sort of analysis is a disservice, really. If there is one thing that is frustrating, it is presenting a contrary point of view and being labeled a "Disinformation Agent" because of it with people opining that "This is how you can tell." I don't know if this is because people just can't believe this many people can possibly disagree with their take on the world (thus complaining about stars) or if they are practicing what they are preaching. I particularly get a kick out of the "paid shills" argument. In any case, it's not a particularly good argument and shows more ignorance than brilliance. My own reaction is that you obviously have no idea what you are talking about and can be easily dismissed as deranged.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Even more disturbing is the fact this guide specifically mentions ATS in the second paragraph

No need for paranoia of course, but it is safe to say this type of activity goes on in nearly all discussion forums. It sure doesn't hurt to keep that in mind

Oddly enough, this is one factor I "thank" for our present inability to hold a meaningful political discussion outside the respective echo chambers

Good eye though, I was wondering if I was overreacting to some of the stranger instances here and elsewhere

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What a gentleperson to start this thread.....you mentioned.....disruptive .....individuals

an adjective I certify and battle
edit on 6-1-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
Trump is awesome.

Waiting for all the stars...
www.youtube.com...

oooo

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I don't think anyone is suggesting we begin a witch-hunt and accuse our opponents of targeted deception. The guide simply presents a problem, as well as enough information to increase our awareness of this issue.

Nowhere does the OP (or any reply) suggest we carelessly label anyone as anything. Instead, it specifically will increase perception and awareness. If you see some of the above listed "warning signs" then you may want to be aware that some type of targetted action may be under way. Recognition is the first step to defeating this practice, and ultimately acquiring the information that is relevant and timely as opposed to the BS noise the propagandists saturate our mediums of exchange with.

Information/cyber warfare is the next generation of warfighting, and owing to its success (and relative low cost) is employed frequently. Including by non-state actors and criminals, to a variety of ends and motivations.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
People scoffing at the idea of all people understanding troll tactics oh my...

edit on 6-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Sure, I have no doubt Russia and every other major nation state is engaging in these typical espionage practices against us. Just as we are presently (as we have for decades) engaging in the exact same types of behavior against Russia and every other nation state (including our allies).

A true effort to make people aware of propaganda/disinformation (not this lite-"fake new" term attempt) is the only way to win this war. It clearly isn't a criminal matter, as it involves an exchange between nation states. Intelligence wise, we engage in so much disinformation (as a nation) that countering their lies with truth is off the table (we already saturate with lies). Our only real option is educating the public about information/cyber warfare, and how it pertains to our lives in the early 21st century

The only issue I've ever had with the Russia claims are twofold:
1) They conflated standard espionage attempts and domestic criminal law
2) A few key anti-Trump players used dubious evidence and rumors to twist the investigation into an attack on Trump instead of looking to mitigate the threat of misinformation/INFOWAR
edit on 1/6/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
After being here for a long enough time I can spot them fairly quickly.

A lot of us know who some of them are.

We really have lost some great members who I wish would come back. Especially in the Philosophy and Metaphysics forum. Man it was good.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Do you honestly think we haven't read this and know all your tricks and transparent agendas?

Check out 18, with all the callings of libtard, commie scum, snowflake, haters, etc....

Trump shill bot stalkers are so easy to spot....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
After being here for a long enough time I can spot them fairly quickly.

A lot of us know who some of them are.

We really have lost some great members who I wish would come back. Especially in the Philosophy and Metaphysics forum. Man it was good.

Just seen a certain site scrub its servers like a lunatic - maybe it was about 4 dimensional thinking in the pictures

yip some great posters are/were here like Sayonara Jupiter loved reading there threads
edit on 6/1/2018 by stonerwilliam because: spelling

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't this be more relevant to forums who have down votes or are limited to the amount of comments?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join