It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate all images of people smoking cigarettes

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

You can fool yourself all you want, but smoking is one of the worst things you can do to yourself.

20 years of smoking will take 10 years of your life span. It will also greatly impact your quality of health.

Tobacco companies have conspired to hide the dangers and damage done by smoking.

The conspiracy is not from people wanting you to quit smoking for a healthier you. What is that end game? What nefarious reason is there for people not wanting you to smoke?

The conspiracy is the companies and governments that covered up the dangers of an addictive habit out of motivation for income.

edit on 5-1-2018 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Lets give you a little more tidbits of facts for you to chew on, shall we? Since you are so firmly certain that you know everything there is to know about smoking and all.

You use the word "addictive" but do you actually know what it means?

I am going to provide you with a copy of the 1988 Surgeon General's Report. Its very interesting.

profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/access/nnbbzd.pdf

You see prior to 1988, smokers were seen generally to be making an independent choice as to whether to smoke or not. The public did not support interfering with the rights of adults to live their life as they please without undue government interference.

In order for the public to be swayed to take action, it was necessary to convince the public that smoking was not just a "bad habit" albeit a pleasant one but was actually an addictive drug peddled by Big Tobacco. Smokers had little or no choice about it.

In the 1988 report, the Surgeon General examined the medical definitions of habitual drug use and addictive drug use. Prior to 1988, a drug was only considered to be addictive IF the following criteria were met...

1. The central element among all forms of drug addiction is that the user’s behavior is largely controlled by a psychoactive substance (i.e., a substance that produces transient alterations in mood that are primarily mediated by effects in the brain).
2. There is often compulsive use of the drug despite damage to the individual or to society, and drug-seeking behavior can take precedence over other important priorities.
3. The drug is “reinforcing”-that is, the pharmacologic activity of the drug is sufficiently rewarding to maintain selfadministration.
4. “Tolerance” is another aspect of drug addiction whereby a given dose of a drug produces less effect or increasing doses are required to achieve a specified intensity of response. Physical dependence on the drug can also occur, and is characterized by a withdrawal syndrome that usually accompanies drug abstinence.
5. After cessation of drug use, there is a strong tendency to relapse.

Use of tobacco is not compulsive (we do not have gangs of rabid smokers breaking into people's houses to get their next fix) Smokers have long demonstrated their ability to refrain from smoking whenever required (ie 14 hour plane rides or attending school etc)

Us of tobacco does not create tolerance. It is well known that each smoker has his/her preferred use (5 cigarettes a day or half a pack or a full pack etc) and it does not really change over the course of the smokers life. Some people start smoking lightly 5 /day and years later are still smoking lightly. Some people are known to only smoke during social events and at no other time. You can argue this point if you like but the end conclusion is clear. No smoker ever overdosed on tobacco and ended up in the emergency room for treatment.

Also on the point of tolerence, there is no withdrawal from tobacco. If you are an alcoholic and quit drinking, you could die from the dts, same thing with opiates. But the only thing that happens when you withdraw from tobacco is that you get urges (that last all of 30 seconds), you might be grumpy for a couple of days and you might get a headache. Pretty much the same as withdrawing from coffee or chocolate. You won't die or end up in hospital or need treatment to quit smoking

As a matter of fact, and this is fact so I will present the link

www.cdc.gov...

The rate of smoking dropped from 42.4 % all the way to 28.9 % from 1965 to 1987. That is a percentage drop of 19.5 % BEFORE the creation of smoking quit aids like gums and patches and medication. These millions of people quit smoking, all by themelves, cold turkey, without going nuts or killing anyone else.

Thus the Surgeon General, in his 1988 report, provided the very proof that tobacco products were habitual and not addictive according the medical definition that existed prior to his report.

I believe that you will see that under the old definition, coc aine did not meet the definition of addictive, because you can quit coc aine without withdrawal.

Under this criteria, the word "addictive' has a precise meaning and in fact, only 5 substances in the world met the definition. Addictive was serious!!!!!

As this situation did not meed political goals of portraying smokers as helpless victims, the Surgeon General changed the medical definition of the word addiction.

But unfortunately, a mistake was made in that the word "addictive" was defined so broadly in order to capture nicotine, that literally anything that caused pleasure to humans and changed the chemical landscape of the brain by releasing endorphines is now considered "addictive"

This includes chocolate, coffee, sex, exercise, shopping, sugar, salt, fat, cheese, meat and on and on and on. To the point that since so many things are addictive, it can truthfully be said that nothing is addictive and the word has lost all meaning.

So take you name calling and attempted shaming and shove it where the sun don't shine along with that puritan fear you have that someone might be experiencing pleasure that you don't approve of.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

More people die from Ischaemic heart disease and stroke than cancer,

wiki

Ischaemic heart disease and stroke are the world's biggest killers, accounting for a combined 15 million deaths in 2015. These diseases have remained the leading causes of death globally in the last 15 years.

I hate seeing people eat McDonalds

oops I forgot people have free choice as to what they put into their bodies.

More people die from cigarette cancers than terrorism by huge amounts.

Tell that to the Iraqis and all others in the Middle East that have suffered from invasion to instill democracy....LOL
Look up the definition of terrorism, pretty much what the all the millions fleeing the middle east have suffered from terrorism,

Live and let live.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
dp
edit on 5-1-2018 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Long rant for...

I watched a grandmother die of smoking related illnesses.

The grand mother that didn’t smoke out lived her by 12 years age wise.

From smoking, One grandfather died when I was six months old. The other, when I was seven.

I had parents that lived otherwise normally healthy lives, that ate balanced means, and had jobs that required drug testing.

I watched year by year as smoking slowly killed them. Caused the death of one parent, and contributed to the death of the other parent.

After my last parent’s death, I repainted the house for sale. When I would wash the walls, the house would reek with a wet cigarette smell, the water would run down the walls brown with tar and nicotine, I would have to repeatedly change out the water buckets, and I had to use damn good primer because the water would never stop turning brown from the tar.

Any person that had dear loved ones that smoked knows you and your biased studies are full of crap.

Again, it’s your health.

But smoking has taken a toll on my family while corporations and government collect millions.

Seems you are the one that cannot handle the true conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I think vices

Vice,
noun
immoral or wicked behaviour.

hahahaha - does anyone use that word anymore?

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

When people smoke near me I want to knock them the F out..

Sounds like you snapped some synapses.

Now I have recently moved to a 3rd world country[because wife]

Sounds like you are dry drunking from nicotine withdrawals;

wiki

Dry drunk is a slang expression infamously known in the sober community. It describes a person who no longer drinks or abuses drugs, but continues to behave in dysfunctional ways.

Maybe some Lithium or Zanax is in order for your violent predisposition, or get rid of the wife and get back to a 1st world country?

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

You know what's funny? I can always quit smoking. You'll still be an idiot though no matter what.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Amazing how a little common sense shows your full of crap.

And you don’t see?

the real conspiracy that profits companies and government

Vs

People that hate smoking because they witnessed first hand what it had done to their loved ones.

For you to justify smoking other than as an act of freedom is from total ignorance. And you choice of “research” shows you have no discernment for truth, or good health.

Coupled with your obvious need for attention, I wish you good luck with smoking, and feeding corporations money. Reap what you sow.

I am out of this thread. You cannot argue with the blatantly dishonest/ignorant.
edit on 5-1-2018 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

My other half smokes so I tell her that its a sign of how much I love her that I can tolerate it.

I didn't know Hillary Clinton smoked...who would have figured

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

But then her hair would catch fire -

at 0.28 "and he learn't to be touched" LOL

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

What ashtray - you should have used the butt crack to wedge the cig tight -

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You would tell other people what to inhale/ingest and yet you authored this - hypocrite

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Follow the rules, get in line, listen to authority. Original sin, unoriginal sin, it doesn't matter. Just get in line, follow the rules, or your soul will be judged

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

He died from melanoma, after all that ganga who would have figured....hahahahaha

idiot

www.skincancer.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

ok I read as far as "smoking related" disease. What proof do you have that your grandmother died of smoking. and please provide.

am I supposed to live my life in fear of offending YOU

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You have yet to provide proof that smoking causes anything.

Get back to me when you have that. It should be easy to get. After all, Everyone knows that smoking causes lung cancer. Everyone has been saying it for 90 years or so. The proof must be lying about and practically jump in your hand.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Truly swallowed the propaganda pill... so, (first, my condolences) but you never actually said; how did smoking kill all your loved ones?

Or, is smoking just a convenient tool of blame that media has convinced you is worse than any other number of activities that people do in their day-to-day lives?

I've had close ones too that have died, where smoking was either directly blamed or as a contributing factor. What I felt is that in every case, no-one could tell me how or why smoking was the culprit, it was used as a handy scapegoat to cover the resounding "I don't know what specifically killed them". From what I could see it was invariably a combination of factors where smoking was just one of many (if a contributor at all), but never the primary reason.

For instance, these activities:
• Sitting all day or being overly sedentary
• Cooking with vegetable oil at high heats
• Poor diet in general
• Cooking with natural gas (without a vent-hood)
• Not getting enough sleep
• Eating too much meat and cheese
• Tanning and sunbathing
• Loneliness
• Keeping your anger bottled up
• ... many others

... have all been shown to be as bad if not worse in many cases than smoking, especially if done in excess.

One of my cousins, (early 50's) who was a health freak, died from exercising too much. I think he stressed out about being "healthy" so much, that he shortened his life by 15 years through not just enjoying life.

Should we shame and demonise these people and have government ban all these activities too?

edit on 5-1-2018 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

... oh, and that cousin was a much bigger strain and cost on the medical system than your average smoker. He was regularly getting treated for sporting injuries, hyper-tension, general wear and tear on his body, etc... and I think just relaxing with a smoke and a drink once in a while would have done him some good.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

If your parents had died from fast food overindulgence would you be picketing McDonalds and deny people choice of restaurant?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

If your parents had died from fast food overindulgence would you be picketing McDonalds and deny people choice of restaurant?

Actually, I only eat at McDonald’s about four times a year.

I did state my parents ate balance meals

Has McDonald’s hid and gone to the same efforts to manipulate an already addictive product as the cigarette industry. Or spend has much money on lobbying the prevention of regulations on their hamburgers?

Are you saying hamburgers have the same addictive effects as individual produced cigarettes.

I think fast food has more to do with food cost. Just to get the items to make two meals out of salad ran me almost 15 dollars at Walmart. Yet there is always money for cigarettes...... which are not required for life like food.
edit on 7-1-2018 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join