It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off I go, to test myself.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
We all know and have felt the arctic front that has come down from the north.
weather.com...

And although this has been a warm winter so far here on the gulf coast that cold front did reach us today.
It is 37f right now and tonight will get down to 19F so I decided this was the perfect time to test my winter camping gear and myself agienst such cold.

I will be leaving to the camp site in about an hour. The site is located 3 miles from a very weak cell tower signal so I will try to hike to it and give a report each day for the next 3 or 4 days.

Growing up in the south I have learned how to deal with extreme heat when I am out camping but this is the first time in my life I will be out in this level of cold. Hopeful I learn from this.

My gear: Fire making: Lighter some wax and toilet tissue. Bed: one normal hammock (not a cold weather one) , one wool blanket, One fall weather sleeping bag. Cloths: long johns (top and bottom), ski mask that covers my entire face except my eyes, gloves, two pares of socks that I wear at the same time, sneakers with wool lining, flimsy (but comfortable) pants, normal t-shirt.

Everything is wet out there because of a week long rain we just had so making a fire should prove difficult.
I'm excited and I know I will love it. 8)

Any of you ever do winter minimalist camping? Got any advice?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Have you let others know where you will be?
edit on 1-1-2018 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep
Do you have like a tent?
What you gonna use for shelter?
If there is any kinda wind, you will get chilled real quick, you gotta have some kinda shelter.

edit on 1-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
We all know and have felt the arctic front that has come down from the north.
weather.com...

And although this has been a warm winter so far here on the gulf coast that cold front did reach us today.
It is 37f right now and tonight will get down to 19F so I decided this was the perfect time to test my winter camping gear and myself agienst such cold.

I will be leaving to the camp site in about an hour. The site is located 3 miles from a very weak cell tower signal so I will try to hike to it and give a report each day for the next 3 or 4 days.

Growing up in the south I have learned how to deal with extreme heat when I am out camping but this is the first time in my life I will be out in this level of cold. Hopeful I learn from this.

My gear: Fire making: Lighter some wax and toilet tissue. Bed: one normal hammock (not a cold weather one) , one wool blanket, One fall weather sleeping bag. Cloths: long johns (top and bottom), ski mask that covers my entire face except my eyes, gloves, two pares of socks that I wear at the same time, sneakers with wool lining, flimsy (but comfortable) pants, normal t-shirt.

Everything is wet out there because of a week long rain we just had so making a fire should prove difficult.
I'm excited and I know I will love it. 8)

Any of you ever do winter minimalist camping? Got any advice?

From what you tell us about your sleeping bag and blanket , I hope you can make some kind of survival shelter !! Hypothermia is not our friend ! I've been cutting some firewood , splitting by maul and wedge (big chunks) and wheel barrowing back to my wood pile....it's been 10-20 below with the wind chill here in sw Wisconsin....good luck on your adventure !

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Good luck, hope you have a blast and stay safe.
I might would suggest an extra set of clothes.
What are you doing for water? Food?
Fire and shelter will definitely be your first priority.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I can has your stuff?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I do stuff like this all the time.
Good for you man!!

I have a solo winter trip coming up also.
I am a PM away if you want to talk shop.

In cold weather...you might want to not use or rely on a lighter.
If it gets too cold...it might not light.

edit on 1-1-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well, it is a safe start OP. I have slept in a tent or snow shelter in the winter at below zero F about five or six times when I was younger. We had winter overnight camping trips almost every winter when I was a boy scout, I actually went out a few times on my own later on to keep in practice.

Building up a little brown fat is beneficial in keeping warm in winter, I would go out and shovel snow and do some outdoor activities prior to going out camping in winter. You can't just jump right into things like that, you could get sick when you get back and that can make you miserable for weeks at work.

I used to do a lot of winter activities, including blowing cellulose insulation in walls during the winter, all which was outside work. Some people cannot stay warm because of genetic and metabolic problems in situations like that, not everyone can be outside a lot in winter. I do not know your state on this, do not go out in the woods too far if you do not know how you can handle it, it is a major problem for EMS people to find you or walk for a mile to get you and haul you out if your body temperature goes too low.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

"Sneakers?"

That's starting off on a wet, winter camping trip on the wrong foot.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

yeah , I like to test myself but i'm not crazy. i'll have my cell to so i can call for help if i need it.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

I don't have a shelter but I will have a tarp if it rains. My camp site is in the thick of the woods so i don't expect to much wind.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I have 3 gallons of water and enough food. great thing about the cold is I can take any food I want and not have to worry about putting ice in the cooler.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

In cold weather...you might want to not use or rely on a lighter. If it gets too cold...it might not light.

See I knew talking with people here would be a good thing to do. I had no idea cold can stop a lighter so I will also bring my flint and steal. ty

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Glad to hear it. Can I ask you to abandon your efforts at the first sign of things going against you. Although testing yourself and equipment is sensible, it is worth bearing in mind that others who have people who care about, and depend on them would have to put themselves in danger to bail you out.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Depends on what part of the south you are in, try and find a stump of a longleaf pine tree, that has sap on it, chop it up as the wood is extremely saturated in oil, it can be lit when wet, and is often called fat wood. Excellent fire starter.

link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I do minimalist survival camping alone way out in the forest all the time. I'm not just jumping in.

I do winter camping here every year. This will be the coldest camping I have ever done though.

I've gotten to the point I need just one bag with me when I do summer camping and I hope to get that good at the winter stuff.

link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: [post=23002013]scraedtosleep[/post

In cold weather...you might want to not use or rely on a lighter.
If it gets too cold...it might not light.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

yes, I do need boots. But I live in florida and it's hard to find any around here with out ordering them. It's next on my list. My sneakers are wool lined and doing this will give me an idea of what kind of boots I really need for my area.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wooden matches.
In a waterproof container.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I agree I don't want to put anyone else at risk. I have been rough camping for about 24 years now and know how to be safe and what my limits are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join