It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off I go, to test myself.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

LOL. Hey I’m just trying to see if I can survive out here in this kind of cold. But I’m not some tree hugging hippie type I got I have my technology.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
OK I’m gonna get back and start gathering some wooden eat or something.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I hear you but if you truly want to test yourself in this world you got to do it without electronics, thats the true test.

Stay warm and if you need it you can use your battery and a piece of steel wool to start a fire just watch your fingers, it can burn you bad.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hey...Sts...wait, it's not too late to change your mind....what you have here....it's worth staying for...

think of all us caring posters here on the world wide global brain trust......chat room....

Oh no we here at this blog central for the known universe....we at ATS yes we care...

hey we read a post that says yur goin...maybe we should all go with you yes....

On the tip of Florida, is that where you're goin? ....Oh man, that would be great fellowship huh!!
edit on 2-1-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Good for you man!!

You don't want to know how cold it is here!!
HAHAHA

Not sure of your terrain but if you need to get off the ground...gather some bows from an evergreen.
It smells good and its good insulation.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well everything was going good ....until I dropped my phone in the river this morning....

I forgot it was in my jacket pocket so when I bent over to wash my toothbrush off in the river it fell right out. 8(

So without anyway to call for help I had to leave and come home.

I learned a lot about what to do in 20 degree weather here in my corner of the world.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

???

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Good on you, to many people never test their gear or their plan.

Soon as I am permanently back stateside I plan to take that next step also.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Lot of evergreen stuff here, in fact most of this forest is evergreen.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah this was a gear test more than anything. Got a bunch of cash from my grandparents for christmas. I spent it all on camping gear.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Check your PM

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Butterfinger

???

Sorry, bad joke I guess!

Its a guy who went out into the Alaskan wilderness, somewhat unprepared. Did not end well, his bus is still out there.

en.wikipedia.org...

Film
en.wikipedia.org...(film)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Good luck intrepid Traveler!

I have the opposite problem, where I am the biggest problem ATM is lightning and flash flooding. The only advice I could give is if you feel a strong gust scuttle your butt outta there or keep a CB handy. Like wildfires and hurricanes blizzards move quicker than you think and if you don't leave before it hit's hunker down time.

Two days ago I walked to the local pizza shop when the wind started, so I thought to myself 'uh-oh' and sure enough about three minutes later the wind picked up, there was half an inch of rain, and then the lightning started and as much as I like lightning it put me on edge.

Be vigilant and enjoy yourself but the moment your get warnings from your CB or some kind of communications high tail, but if you want my advice for a fire, think of my Hooters method 'Light in the tummy, big up top' but i'm pretty sure you know what I mean.

Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

agreed lighters are terrible in slighlty wet and cold conditions , I never rely on a lighter going camping in Scotland whilst fishing , try and get a fire stick (not usb the amazon one lol ) survival flint fire lighter key
they are around 8 bucks on amazon.
Also maybe get yourself the bunjee para chord bracelet , it could save your life in a survival situation

I would defo take a chill proof , wind proof , sub temp cold sleeping bag .
Wild camping in the cold you need to keep dry its a priority , so you need a water proof layer , a breathable layer , and a thermal layer to beat the cold the wet and to stop you from losing heat. Wind chill will be the worst so make sure you have a windbreaker or a coat that acts as a wind breaker.

Good luck and always tell your family and if going alone the local ranger

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I got caught out alone in this forest during a forest fire once.
It was really....beautiful. Yeah I had to pack up my camp and cross the river and run deep deep into the forest to get away from it. The smoke was the worst . But, at night seeing 40 foot high trees turn into glowing red ember poles was awesome! Later walking around among all the burned wood, being careful to watch for walling limbs, was great to. Once in a life time experience. (I hope)

My buddy got almost caught in a flash flood. He was camping with a friend and his friends family. Four people Him, the dad, the mom , and the 10 year old boy, were all foolishly camping on the river edge right after a week of heavy storms up north.
The river here was very low , as it always is. I guess they never checked the weather report from up north. Early that morning they got up and decided to go into town to a waffle house for breakfast. It started lightly raining while they ate. When they got back the river had risen so far that it reached the parking lot a few MILES from the camp sites! My friend and the dad used the trees to first walk ankle deep and then waist deep and then chest deep down the trail to see if their camping gear was maybe rapped around a tree or something. By the time they got to where their tents were they were swimming from through the trees and the river was 15-20 feet above the ground. We know how far up it got because a week later once it went back down we went out and measured the stuff that got deposited in the tree tops. Their tents were still staked to the ground! They were only away from the forest for about 4 hours. This happened so fast if they had still been asleep inside those zipped up tents they would have drowned. It was just luck that they got up early .

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I have also been out in this forest during lighting storms 3 times during my lifetime.

Now that is some of the scariest and exhilarating experiences I have ever been through.

I recommend all humans do that at least once in their lifetimes. It WILL make you humble.

One of the scariest parts was hearing the tops of the pine trees bend and sway in the wind. It sound like 300lb tree tops were going to break off and fall on me the entire time. All three of those storms lasted all night long.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

'Light in the tummy, big up top'

lol Yes I know what you mean and I am so very surprised none of my southern camping buddies never said this.
I am sure to get some laughs on my next trip with them.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I usually have my flint with me. But I live in florida and honestly this was the first time in 24 years of camping that it was to cold for my lighters to light.

bunjee para chord bracelet

Never heard of it.

Our local ranger and police department hate us campers. I am sure they would be happy to find us dead out there. And yes I know this for a fact , I got stories...

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

A very important lesson while testing is to know when to say when. I’ll tell you that I was a bit worried about you when I was reading your gear and clothing lists. Good to see you made the right call when it came. And for the experience, you can some knowledge of what works and what doesn’t. That in itself is a victory.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Sad that local law enforcement dislike campers, surely they have a duty of care even for folks from out of town, what are you like rambo in first blood hahahah

there are loads on the market here is one of the sites selling them
survival bracelets

most people just wear them for fashion but the bungee chord can come in handy !
of course someone might just take chord with them !
edit on 7-1-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join