It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Records Found in Dusty Basement Undermine Decades of Dietary Advice Muh Cholesterol

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Gluten contains the lectins in wheat.

Where'd you come up with that one?

Gluten forms when glutenin molecules cross-link to form a submicroscopic network attached to gliadin.

Gluten does not contain lectin, you are confused.
edit on 1-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

my opinion:
i always felt that eating foods that are less processed are easier for your body to digest, easier for your body to convert to energy, and easier to dispose of the waste.

eating less processed foods and moderate exercise can help your overall health.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
i ignore each and every new 'this or that food is good/bad for you' story. the endless flip-flops, reversals and contradictions are enough to know they ('experts') know nothing. eat whatever you want.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

Gluten contains the lectins in wheat.

Where'd you come up with that one?

Gluten forms when glutenin molecules cross-link to form a submicroscopic network attached to gliadin.

Gluten does not contain lectin, you are confused.

Gluten is one of the plant defense chemistries in grain. It contains four types of opiate peptides in it.

Here you go, there are some articles that show lectin activity in gluten. Of course, if you only consider the accepted definition of things, you will not accept this which shows a strong relationship between them. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Plant defense system chemistry is what most of our medicines and poisons are made of. No plant defense chemical is safe for everyone.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That article is from 1985, do you have anything more current? Looks like they found traces of wheat germ lectins in some gluten? Contamination?

Our results indicate that the lectin properties of gluten are due to traces of WGA. This finding is relevant for theories about the pathogenesis of coeliac disease.

Gluten is one of the plant defense chemistries in grain. It contains four types of opiate peptides in it.
Whats your definition of gluten?
If you are saying lectins are what gluten is, i will disagree.
If you are saying gluten can be contaminated with lectins, well then, sure?
Opiate peptides in gluten?
Can you explain further the four kinds of opiate peptides, and please not with links to Mercola.....He's a bit of a quack wouldn't you agree?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Sorry for my late reply you asked a few good questions.

To be clear however my post was not really taking any real issue with the OP you posted it was more about your claims about potassium supplements.

did you have a look at the article? What are your thoughts on that?

Yes I did and I found it interesting, its forty years old so the science has since moved on but I still fount it interesting. I don't think it really adds anything to todays understanding of nutrition and heart disease but only because its such a widely researched topic. Saying that however the findings could have had more significance forty years ago if they were published.

Which brings me to your next question.

Why was it not published?

I have absolutely no idea.

Could be a vast number of reasons, one of them including that it was because they wanted to hide the findings which I would not discount as a possibility yet at the same time there could be other legitimate reasons that do not have quite as much of a nefarious motivation behind them.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Ya, I don't even use that half and half salt myself. I use natural sea salt.
As far as potassium supplements go, thats not something worth buying over the counter, as they are limited to 100mg a pill, unless you get some citrate powder or a scrip from the doctor, potassium supplements have all kinds of risks associated with them, consult a doctor is best advice.
Best NOT to supplement with potassium other than via your own diet.
I get enough potassium via my diet, which usually includes lots of leafy greens and a couple glasses of coconut water every day.

You're right, who knows why they didn't publish. There is a post a couple pages back that is interesting:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Whole foods, know your body, educate yourself to basic nutritional needs, and avoid processed foods as much as you can.
Combine that with a healthy amount of physical activity, and hopefully we can all have a happy new years.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

That article is from 1985, do you have anything more current? Looks like they found traces of wheat germ lectins in some gluten? Contamination?

Our results indicate that the lectin properties of gluten are due to traces of WGA. This finding is relevant for theories about the pathogenesis of coeliac disease.

Whats your definition of gluten?
If you are saying lectins are what gluten is, i will disagree.
If you are saying gluten can be contaminated with lectins, well then, sure?

But wheat lectins, WGA, actually work with the gluten to cause problems. These are both plant defense system chemistries found in grains. The problem with these grains is not good.

Back in Egypt a couple of thousand years ago they discovered that wheat calmed the people. The Catholic church learned they could calm people so pushed hauling wheat to countries they conquered during the crusades. Our government pushes wheat in this country because of that, other nations utilize different types of calming chemistry to control their citizens.

That would be the gluten opiate peptides, they help to form the milk's baby calming chemistry in all mammals. Now the lectins sort of activate the gut to open up and allow the proteins, including the opiate peptides, to go into the bloodstream, which leads to improperly digested proteins from entering the blood which causes the body to jump start it's immune response. The gluten opiate peptides actually slow digestion so it gets stuck in the gut longer. Hence a person can get impacted like a cow if they eat too much grains.

The problematic chemistries in milk is both lectins and caso-morphin. The whey contains the chemistry to open up the pores which allows the improperly digested proteins and casomorphin to enter through the wall. This causes both inflammation and the caso-morphin causes the crying baby or population to be satisfied and pain from the inflammation to be lessened. Human mother milk actually has the correct morphin chemistry and acceptable nutrition chemistry including antimicrobial agents like Monolaurin and lactoferin and others to properly supply the baby with immunity while the baby develops. Casomorphine is broke down by a special enzyme, certain things block that enzyme from working and keep the person caso-morhined up. The two foods I know of that do this are foods that incorporate lactobacilli to make and also foods like salmon. So these super foods actually keep people content...are they really that good for you?

Now back to grains and gluten, a special enzyme is needed to break down gluten properly. It would be DPP IV. www.enzymestuff.com...

I tie things together, WGA along with gluten are symbiotic, meaning they adjuvate each other. Add milk to the issue and you can even get more problems. Gluten as you said does not contain much WGA or lectin, but the lectin is actually in the wheat and both actually cause the problem together.

Maybe the gluten does not contain much lectin, but wheat and other grains do. and the gluten and lectin content combined are part of the plant defense system chemistry of the plant. The agglutination effect is caused by the improper intake of protein chemistry through the gut, which causes our immune system to make the blood stick to things. This agglutination actually causes blood to thicken improperly and by that causes a dumbing down and also increases risk of stroke and heart attack. It increases risk of many diseases, especially autoimmune diseases.

We have been fed a lot of bull, people need to understand the properties of food. Foods have multiple chemistries in them, some good and some bad. I have type A blood, I am more prone to get agglutination from veggies that are raw. I am more apt to get agglutination from beef, so I eat onions on my hamburgers. I did this automatically as I grew older, I just identified why hamburger does not seem to cause me problems and since then, I have boosted my onion consumption...surprisingly, half my headaches disappeared around that time. Agglutination is all about a charge forming that binds things in the blood together. Onions also contain chemistry to kill microbes, so it negates the immune system having to take care of things. Improperly digested proteins can be disolved by a proteinase in the diet, one found in onions or grapefruit or pineapple works fine. Those proteinases are heat liable, they also are in beer.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I listened to doctor Mercolas video you had posted earlier.

His assertion that European bread does not cause a gluten reaction seems based on quackery.

“Joseph Mercola is among the top misinformation vectors of our time when it comes to health, medicine, food, parenting, and more. He promotes chemophobia and spreads fear of chemicals, GMOs, and vaccines, all while peddling alternatives to line his pockets,” pro-biotechnology activist and writer Kavin Senapathy told me. Senapathy has written for Forbes about Mercola’s habit of calling substances dangerous and then selling products containing those substances. “His promotion of pseudoscience helps fuel a culture that turns its nose up at beneficial technologies and medical treatments.”

www.theringer.com...
But I don't want to talk about him.
He's a quack, some of what he says is based in reality, but he goes off on tangents that are totally made up, in order to sell a product.

Show me something that will convince me that gluten contains four opioid peptides please, never heard of such a thing.

I'll just drop this link of the Longwood Seminar from a couple years back, it's an interesting watch.
From Harvard.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Sorry, wrong Longwood seminar video in the previous post and it's been too long to edit it.
Meant to drop this on...
Watch starting at 48 minutes, tell me your opinion if you have time.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

And that’s how science works.

Always changing, always evolving.

It doesn't evolve or change at all.

Incomplete study sets and outright lies are the rule of the day all too often.

Science in the field of the human body is a joke...and always has been because it is not run by anyone who actually cares or wants to know the truth.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I always get real butter, free-range farm eggs, full cream milk, love my red meat and seafood, and would never remove the fat from bacon. That said it's obviously not a great idea to eat a lot of fatty things, but a small amount of fat each day isn't going to hurt you, as long as you get some exercise and don't let yourself become overweight.
edit on 1/1/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Some folks I know hate coconut water, I can see why. However, I've developed a taste for it and yearn for that nutty drink. Its priced around 4.49 for 16floz around these parts.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
When fats are consumed with excess carbohydrates, and any time excess carbohydrates are consumed the body is overloaded with insulin programming all cells to store energy. Carbohydrates are needed but that maximum amount is shockingly low compared to what we Americans ingest. How fats and carbohydrates are processed can upset the cholesterol balance.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I listened to doctor Mercolas video you had posted earlier.

His assertion that European bread does not cause a gluten reaction seems based on quackery.

“Joseph Mercola is among the top misinformation vectors of our time when it comes to health, medicine, food, parenting, and more. He promotes chemophobia and spreads fear of chemicals, GMOs, and vaccines, all while peddling alternatives to line his pockets,” pro-biotechnology activist and writer Kavin Senapathy told me. Senapathy has written for Forbes about Mercola’s habit of calling substances dangerous and then selling products containing those substances. “His promotion of pseudoscience helps fuel a culture that turns its nose up at beneficial technologies and medical treatments.”

www.theringer.com...
But I don't want to talk about him.
He's a quack, some of what he says is based in reality, but he goes off on tangents that are totally made up, in order to sell a product.

Show me something that will convince me that gluten contains four opioid peptides please, never heard of such a thing.

I'll just drop this link of the Longwood Seminar from a couple years back, it's an interesting watch.
From Harvard.

I actually did quite a bit of research on how European bread is different. When I was younger, many breads were made that way locally. Enzymes made by the yeast actually digest the gluten. The bread is let rise, then refrigerated for around eight hours, then the bread is taken out of the cooler, and baked. You can find scientific evidence of this enzymatic property in some places. It is the same as malting barley for cows. If you look at the bread package, you will see malted barley but you do not see anything about the other grains being malted. This would be a sour dough practice sort of. I remember when Bunny bread came around here, nobody liked it and this quick bread practice has taken over pretty much of the bread industry now. I actually went looking at how bread in France and other European countries is made today and most use the old method.

There was not really many people who had gluten intolerance when I was young and people were healthier mostly. Changes in food chemistry has led us to being a country of sick people. I spent a lot of time studying bread making to try to learn how to bake better breads. I called a local bakery that makes bread that does not bother me, a limpu Rye bread. I asked them about the process and found that their Old Country Rye bread is aged overnight, just like many European breads are. I then researched why and found all sorts of research on this.

Look yourself, I am not going to start to supply you with links. I spent probably four hundred hours researching specifics on grain chemistry to evaluate if there was something there, there was. Of that time, half of it was trying to find ways to correct the chemistry by utilizing cooking and enzymes to help to break down bad chemistry. You can use mostly white flour, but need to add a little Rye flour and let it age, Whole grain organic Rye has an enzyme in it that can cancel out the bad properties of wheat gluten if it is allowed enough time to work. I deal a lot with the enzyme stuff sites, they are of scientific sources, I also take lots of quizlets to make sure I understand what they mean.

I mentioned I do not like to source Mercola, but there is a lot of truth in this article about this subject. He does get off track sometimes but a lot of his stuff gives me incentive to do more research. I researched the hell out of grains and spent lots of time evaluating detoxing the chemistry and using specific search perameters to verify if my conclusions were correct. Most times there is evidence that proves or shows I am right, sometimes I find more research on my part needs to be done to come to a correct conclusion and find a way to fix the problem. There are some properties of grains that are important, it is hard to find a substitute for them or eliminate them without having health problems of a different sort.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Sorry, wrong Longwood seminar video in the previous post and it's been too long to edit it.
Meant to drop this on...
Watch starting at 48 minutes, tell me your opinion if you have time.

The harvard video is mostly correct but there are some things on it that have now been disproven. First of All Vitamin D supplementation does not always work unless you get the sun and your kidneys are capable of finishing the final process to make it into the hormone which is active. Also, taking vitamin D can be toxic to some people and unless the right companion minerals are present, it will not work.

The Multivitamins are mostly BS, if you do not have a deficiency in a vitamin or mineral there will be no improvement. The multivitamins also contain vitamin complexes that are not natural, Folic acid is not natural, neither is Cyanocobalamin. Folate and methylcobalamin are what we usually get in diet. Also, as said, most vitamin pills put too much of certain vitamins in them. One such one that can be problematic for northern Europeans is high levels of Niacin. You can use a high dose for a short time to correct an issue, because if you are short on niacin for a long time, niacin is required in processes to actually take niacin out of food.

I cannot take a multivitamin, I have negative effects off of it. Probably because I have a methyl cycle that has lots of weird things in it, things that are needed to stop from getting Lupus and Spondylitis. If I take Calcium supplements I feel great but start building up lumps on my bones and near my joints, the doctor said not to take that. That supplement had vitamin D in it. My brother had the same problem. Calcium suppression can deter autoimmune diseases, they actually use calcium channel blockers to treat autoimmune diseases. Also methyldextrate, which blocks folate to take away the ability of the immune system to fight, which then slows inflammation. But real folate is utilized in the third step of building hemoglobin, no folate, less hemoglobin. Also folate is needed for proper utilization of B12. See, I study how medicines work, what classes of meds are being used to treat what. I am really disappointed in the Pharmaceutical industry and the medical industry for believing the Pharma crap. They treat symptoms, many times the symptoms are a warning that we should make a dietary change, fixing the problem is much better than blocking a symptom that you can see. Some medicines treating of symptoms does actually fix the problem temporarily. But without fixing the cause, it will soon come back again. But that would not be profitable.

The Harvard speech clearly states multiple time that supplements do not help if there is not a deficiency.

Also, in 2017 Evidence was proven to show that vitamin C can at least adjuvate cancer meds and it can cure some cancers. Science Daily and Physics.org have those studies if you are interested in researching them. We discussed that here earlier this year on ATS. I usually study scientific research, if I find an article that seems to be right on written by someone in layman's terms that people not proficient in reading research can understand, I will post it. Mercola does seem to generalize things and if his article is correct or close to correct, I will use it as reference, but only that particular article. Some of Mercola's stuff is controvercial and sometimes the articles exclude other factors that makes it worthless writing.

edit on 1-1-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

you are very knowledgeable, thanks for sharIng.

Could you share what you know about sub clinical gluten intolerance, i would be interested in hearing your opinion on this.

My mother used to grind wheat grown in our own fields and make bread for us. I miss that loaf....

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

you are very knowledgeable, thanks for sharIng.

Could you share what you know about sub clinical gluten intolerance, i would be interested in hearing your opinion on this.

My mother used to grind wheat grown in our own fields and make bread for us. I miss that loaf....

When you use wheat right from the field, that wheat would contain an active enzyme that would possibly break down the gluten. It would still need time to work. Processing the wheat destroys that enzyme, most enzymes are heat liable, the temperature at which they fall apart varies.

I have a hand cranked old mill that mounts to a table, I got it from my stepfather. It works quite well. I just buy my flour from the store or the coop, the bread flour is not organic, it is preharvest treated with glyphosate. It is a good tasting flour so I checked if it has been glyphosated and evidently it is according to the company. The company makes organic wheat flour too, that is really good tasting. No bitterness from the glyphosate in that flour. It is also not enriched, the enrichment of flour is a joke. The folic acid and cyanocobalamin used are synthetic, made by gmo microbes and not natural which means many people cannot use them properly. Some can, approximately fifty five percent or so can metabolize them.

But my bread flour is enriched. Neither the wife or I like whole wheat flour, neither of us make a lot of amylase, she drinks a coke a day, that takes care of breaking down the fiber. I do not like coke but will drink two a month now when I start to poop out straw. I can't even digest a green bean or corn. That is actually not uncommon, many Americans lack the ability to break down fiber and it leads to beezoars. If led to plug the gut too long it can cause major problems in the colon.

I would think they knew how to take care of the wheat, a wrong fungus could make the wheat toxic. Most grain farmers use chemicals to control that. Even the preharvest of glyphosate kills the fungus, but I do not like the glyphosate residue, I lack a good enzyme to break it down according to the genetics apps I have, which makes sense, glioma is what my father died of from spraying in the fields. I have a high risk for brain cancer.

I know quite a few people who quit eating gluten and got better. Some were told by their doctors to try it, it worked. We have a really good doctor here who knows a lot about the causes of diseases, he works with a half a dozen regular doctors here too, he is pretty good, I do know more than him on some things, but he is working, he hasn't got a real lot of time left to research. He also makes house calls to his patients. He has such a good success rate, he turns away most new people who want to get to him.

When a lot of people you know give up gluten and you see the change in them, you do not need clinical evidence to show it is true. But if a person does not have problems with gluten, giving it up will do nothing. It is not a cure all. There is no pancea, everyone needs to be their own food doctor to identify metabolic intolerances to foods. A doctor cannot do that in a twenty minute appointment, it takes a long time to find something you have problems with.

I have a problem eating a banana when I eat potatoes. It is a cross reactivity which took me about a year of trial to say is definitely true. On one side is the banana and avacado and kiwi. On the other is potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and just about every root veggie and some cruciferous veggies. I don't like avacados, I just gave up bananas. In the summer, if I have not eaten any potatoes for a while, I can eat a banana with no problem. I can eat banana bread, the chitinases in banana are not heat stable but the chitinases in potatoes are heat stable. They are called heuvens or something like that. I can eat banana bread when I eat potatoes. The banana plant defense chemicals (chitinases) are more of a problem when they are riper. Here is a little article on what I am talking about www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

So, it took me a year to be sure that I do have a cross reactivity between class one and class 2 chitinases. They are chemicals that desolve the shell of pests and microbes. The banana has a strong plant defense chemistry.

A doctor can not figure that out in twenty minutes.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

By the way, the picture you had shows disulfide bonds. Disulfide bonds are not heat stable, taurine falls apart starting at a hundred fifty degrees F approximately, N-acetylcysteing falls apart at about two hundred degrees. That is one reason that people who eat meats should eat them medium, not over one sixty internal temp. If you have a properly working sulfite oxydase enzyme and plenty of magnesium and sulfate in the diet, people can make taurine which is usually a meat based amino acid.

In Gluten, it does break down if cooked enough, but the internal temperature of a bread does not get high enough to break down the gluten disulfide bonds without drying out in the process, enzymes from the rye or from yeast can help reduce it. For some reason gluten bonds are not as easy to break as NAC. I can do things in my chicken soup and beef soup to preserve NAC but not taurine, I cannot bring down the boiling point that low. I have to add some companion thiol chemistry to preserve the NAC too, basically onions. Also I need a few drops of hot sauce, nitrogen chemistry, to keep the NAC chemistry intact. NAC can be converted to taurine in our bodies easier than producing the taurine with sulfite oxydase, magnesium, and sulfate.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Your claim of the opiates in the wheat, where is the evidence?

ETA.
ok, i understand what you were trying to say.

. The hydrolytic digestion of casein (a major milk protein) and gliadin (a wheat-derived protein) releases peptides with opioid activity, 

edit on 2-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join