It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Records Found in Dusty Basement Undermine Decades of Dietary Advice Muh Cholesterol

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The food guide pyramid that is being pushed upon us is based on junk science. For some reason fats have been demonized, to the detriment of Americans health. For 40 years, people have been warned against eating fatty foods containing high cholesterol, such as butter, eggs, red meat, shellfish and liver, because of supposed links to the substance in our blood.

Eat a balanced diet and get some exercise. Educate yourself with regards to nutritional science, don't trust the government to tell you whats healthy and what isn't healthy.

I do not believe the federal government should dictate almost every aspect of what kids eat at schools. Local communities, with the input of parents, should make these decisions

Raw data from a 40-year-old study raises new questions about fats

Ramsden and his colleagues discovered what had been hidden for nearly half a century: records on 9,423 study participants, ages 20 to 97, all living in state mental hospitals or a nursing home. It was the largest experiment of its kind.

It was also one of the most rigorous. Participants were randomly assigned either to the group eating the then-standard diet, which was high in animal fats and margarines, or to a group in which vegetable oil and corn oil margarine replaced about half of those saturated fats. Such a randomized controlled trial is considered less likely to produce misleading results than observational studies, in which volunteers eat whatever they choose.

Analyzing the reams of old records, Ramsden and his team found, in line with the “diet-heart hypothesis,” that substituting vegetable oils lowered total blood cholesterol levels, by an average of 14 percent.

But that lowered cholesterol did not help people live longer. Instead, the lower cholesterol fell, the higher the risk of dying: 22 percent higher for every 30-point fall. Nor did the corn-oil group have less atherosclerosis or fewer heart attacks.

Critics of the demonization of saturated fat have long pointed out that key findings from landmark studies were never published. One, the Seven Countries Study, originally included many more nations. But in only seven did populations consuming lots of saturated fats have high levels of heart disease, prompting recent accusations of cherry-picking data.

That 1970 study was hugely influential, however, leading to congressional hearings and guidelines advising against eating saturated fat and arguing for the benefits of polyunsaturated fats.

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
In 5 days my friend, you certainly can pop out a few threads..... Most of quality i might add

As far as this goes, i believe you can eat what you want, just gotta keep movin. As we get older, we (most) do not move around as much as when we were kids, Gotta Burn!!!

That's why it's called a calorie isn't it ?

BTW, where on earth did they get a pic of Mobama like that LOL
edit on 1/1/2018 by scubagravy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The problem with this and other studies regarding Cholesterol, is that compared to the past is how much we are putting inside ourselves today. No Cholesterol is bad but limit how much you are eating and the problem is not Cholesterol but having too much in such a short time.

edit on 1-1-2018 by bearclan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

yep the old granny out raking in the garden lives to be 90 everytime

I knew this about fats....and our beloved eggs, why you can live on em.....i gotta quit listening to tv.....huh!!

that's fats and good bad cholesteral....now what about salt intake and......mmmm....bacon?....he....he

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Too true bout grandma,

I think i might take up lawn bowls

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Oh wait, place a picture of Michelle Obama (bad) in your post and automatic stars and flags.
Nevermind facts.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

that's fats and good bad cholesteral....now what about salt intake and......mmmm....bacon?....he....he

What kind of salt?
Did you know that the majority of the population is deficient in Potassium?
Nobody I know eats 7-10 cups of veggies to get their 4700mg of Potassium a day.
Have a coconut water instead of a soda, it's a great source of Potassium, 890 mg/480 ml
Next time you pick up salt for the shaker, grab some half and half salt it's half Potassium Chloride.
Consult a doctor if you have kidney or liver issues.

edit on 1-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

What kind of salt?
Next time you pick up salt for the shaker, grab this, it's half Potassium Chloride.

Back it up with legit studies.

Potassium: Health benefits and recommended intake

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

I recall hearing about her lunch programme a few years ago.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bearclan

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

What kind of salt?
Next time you pick up salt for the shaker, grab this, it's half Potassium Chloride.

Back it up with legit studies.

All outta google over there?
Let me help you out.

Potassium is identified in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans as a nutrient to be increased in the diet (1), and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendation for Adequate Intake of potassium is 4700 mg per day (2).

In 2009-2010, the average dietary potassium intake of the U.S. population aged two years and older was 2640 mg per day. Intake of males overall was higher than females. although gender differences between those 2-5 years and 6-11 years were not significant. As shown in Figure 1, potassium intake of males increased through adulthood, with a decrease for those aged 60+ years. Increases in intakes of females were substantially smaller compared to males. These intakes have remained relatively unchanged since the mid-1990s, and are comparable to intakes observed in the 1994-1998 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals (data not shown).

www.ars.usda.gov...

(post by bearclan removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

What do they say about Magnesium? I think we don't get enough.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Sodium Intake of Special Populations in the Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity Across the Life Span (HANDLS) Study

The sodium intake of participants of the Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span study who were in three of the special population groups identified by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 (those with hypertension, African Americans, and those ≥51 years) was analyzed to determine if they met sodium recommendations

Now a study that represents this

the majority of the population is deficient in Potassium?
like you claimed.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

And that’s how science works.

Always changing, always evolving.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bearclan

I don't care what anyone else's solution is.

Mine however is fasting. Yes that's right. no lol's involved, only truth.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Did you not read the article you posted?

"None of the groups studied met the guidelines for intakes for sodium or potassium which could assist in improving blood pressure."

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

What do they say about Magnesium? I think we don't get enough.

I would agree with the statement you have made, and evidence backs that up.

Current magnesium intakes in the US population are below recommended levels (400-420 mg/day for men and 310-320 mg/day for women). Dietary sources rich in magnesium include green leafy vegetables, unrefined grains, legumes, beans, and nuts.

I supplement with a Cal/Magt thats in a citrate form, which means your body can absorb it.
It's the same as what a hospital will give their patients that are deficient.

Bearclan is running through the thread trying desperately to prove me wrong, and I encourage you to do your own research, I am but some guy on the internet, always consult a doctor before supplementing anything is the best advice.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Food pattern modeling shows that the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for sodium and potassium cannot be met simultaneously

The 2010 US Dietary Guidelines recommended limiting intake of sodium to 1500 mg/d for people older than 50 years, African Americans, and those suffering from chronic disease. The guidelines recommended that all other people consume less than 2300 mg sodium and 4700 mg of potassium per day. The theoretical feasibility of meeting the sodium and potassium guidelines while simultaneously maintaining nutritional adequacy of the diet was tested using food pattern modeling based on linear programming.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

And that’s how science works.

Always changing, always evolving.

NO. That data was never published, it was buried and not allowed to see the light of day.

Instead, the Ancel Keys study was allowed to stand, a study that used data from only 7 out of 22 countries in order to push a narrative.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Geesh bro, Potassium and Sodium are two different elements.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join