It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The blowhole

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I am not a creationist, nor an evolutionist. I take the opinion that there are some things we may never know for sure and that saying we know something for sure is only for our own ego and comfort in a scary place called nature.

Anyway, the blowhole of some mammals really freaks me out. What a bizarre adaptation. Did it slowly move there via progression or was it more that a weirdo blowhole flipper baby was born and all the prehistoric dolphin/whales ladies were like ooo laa la!

Seriously, how in the hell did that weird breathing apparatus move all the way up there?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

In cetology, a blowhole is the hole at the top of a Cetacean's head through which the animal breathes air. It is homologous with the nostril of other mammals, and evolved via gradual movement of the nostrils to the top of the head.[1]
a reply to: Fools

From wikipedia. Blowholes: pretty cool.

edit on 12/13/2017 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

In cetology, a blowhole is the hole at the top of a Cetacean's head through which the animal breathes air. It is homologous with the nostril of other mammals, and evolved via gradual movement of the nostrils to the top of the head.[1]

I am not buying that. I think Aliens did it.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

In all fairness, I kind of do too.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I bet it migrated there, or ours disappeared..

Science already says you are never v100% sure about something you can’t validate with repeatable experimentation.. creationism is the one that asks you to have faith..

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Given the "blow hole" is just a nostril, what has happened is it migrated further back on the head, untill you see Whales, and Dolphins with their blow hole. Is this in any way stranger than hairless apes (humans) or flying mammals (bats)?

Just a point, there is no such thing as an evolutionist. Only creationist use that term, in the way it is implied here.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Consider at one point then that it was right between their eyes. Did it also split their brains in half on its way up?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

"Just a point, there is no such thing as an evolutionist. Only creationist use that term, in the way it is implied here."

I have no idea what either would claim to be a winning argument. I just think blowholes are really weird. Just thinking all the rearrangements that have to happen is very weird to me and I like it.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

That is sort of your problem then. I don't find it weird. I find it weirder that in this day and age we have flat earthers

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Perchance you should google Whale anatomy? It seems as though you are making some assumptions about how their skulls are put together. Perhaps I am wrong.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Even if aliens made the blowhole evolution is kind of like a force similar to gravity.

It's quantum events are now being studied which is where we will most likely find more clues about what evolution really is other than its functional adaptation. Or rather the mechanical framework.

If we can make spider silk come out of goat utters aliens could make blowholes.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Under water life is weird, dreamlike, and amazing all around. I assume some of that comes from varieties of bacteria and virus that evolved from space rocks crashing into the ocean as well as terrestrial evolution.

But it's not a crazy theory there are genetic engineers in the universe other than us.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

You also missed the point of what you quoted from me.

Evolutionist implies someone who believes in evolution. You don't believe in a scientific theory, it is there no matter what you think. THUS if you think science is onto something you accept all its theories, or work on an alternative

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Blowholes??? I thought those were dolphin/whale belly buttons, only on their backs... which would make them back buttons, huh.

Yeah... back buttons that evolved over time to use the port that they were born from to decrease current drag. If they had to poke their mouths above water over the centuries, they'd have popeye-like pectoral and dorsal fins with a sealed back button. It likely started as a vent valve to blow off extra pressure until momma nature made the valve controllable.

Geez... I didn't think I would be typing words like that today. Sounds like a solid hypothesis though...
edit on 13-12-2017 by ttobban because: there/their/they're conflict

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

You also missed the point of what you quoted from me.

Evolutionist implies someone who believes in evolution. You don't believe in a scientific theory, it is there no matter what you think. THUS if you think science is onto something you accept all its theories, or work on an alternative

When it comes to blowholes I don't know what to think other than if I had one, I'd be a hit at summer swimming parties.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

That's it sir, I have no idea. It's amazing whatever way you think of it.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

That is sort of your problem then. I don't find it weird. I find it weirder that in this day and age we have flat earthers

I find the flat earth thing funny - its pretty easy to observe that the earth isn't flat - but that doesn't keep some people from entertaining the whole thing. So much time and editing going into those videos. It makes me think most of them are yanking some chains.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I wonder why we dont see other animals or find fossils of animals that have the blowhole slowly receeding back to their... what ever the position the blow hole is situated on is called
Interesting thinking there Fools, very deep.

I guess you have to take that receeding back by evolution as a faith statement as the evidence seems lacking

Also like that brain spplitting in two thing as well, deep

And yes, an evolutionist is a person who believes by faith evolution is a valid theory, it has no repeatable observable and testable science.

But we know that

Sorta freeky little hole

Tee Hee Hee

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Yet there is a small (thankfully) group of individuals convinced the earth is flat. The lesson from that is, no matter the evidence, some people do not get it

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools & Raggedyman

Rodhocetus
Basilosaurus
Dorudon

All 3 have “receding blowholes” going further back.
edit on 13122017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join