It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought Provoking Vintage Pics of Yesteryear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I love old photographs and have my own large collection from friends & family but also love the more historical pictures before the days of photoshop and manipulation. A picture in those long past days can really say a thousand words. Hope you enjoy these as much as I did.
Have a great week-end!

Clearly to these Russians the sight of a Typhoon class submarine at the beach was of no concern in 1979!

I think this is definitely one of my favourites! The filming of the MGM Lion Roar...often wondered how they did that

The Grey & The Blue Gettysburg Veterans

The famous "jump for freedom" of Conrad Schumann in 1961 he jumped the barbed wire fence whilst being encouraged by West Germans. Sadly in 1998 he hung himself in his orchard in Bavaria

A very VERY crowded US ship bringing back soldiers from Europe 1945. How did that thing stay afloat?? lol

Russians feeding the Polar Bears in Chuki Peninsula 1950. As meat was damn near impossible to get hold of these bears were given opened tins of condensed milk

The weekly food ration for 2 people in Britain 1943....try making a meal with that!

A very rare picture of rescued slaves aboard the HMS Daphne in 1868 who were freed from Arab slave traders along the Zanzibar coast

One hell of a scary building....the headquarters of Mussolini's Fascist Party in Rome 1934 just prior to elections

Iranian Women protesting the Ayotollah's new laws against women and forcing the hijab upon them after the fall of the Shah 1979. This was the beginning of the Islamic crackdown in Iran

A rare glimpse of the French capital punishment system, the Guillotine. This is from the last execution by guillotine in 1939 of serial killer & kidnapper Eugene Weidmann

And finally a picture that I'm sure is a suprise to many, German Muslim Waffen SS members at prayer in 1943

(Proved harder than I thought to extract some favourites from the hundreds I have on my pc!! )I could go on but most are probably bored by now so I'll stop.....for now
enjoy!

edit on 17-11-2017 by PhyllidaDavenport because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2017 by PhyllidaDavenport because: error

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
keep going this thread is by far leaps and bounds ahead of the other crap that keeps getting rehashed over and over again

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

The first of the Typhoon class submarines was launched in1979.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

aww bless you for your interest....which I'm only too happy to oblige

The use of animals in WWI was commonplace with animals from dogs to mules to pigeons being used. Here's a picture of the only dog ever to achieve the rank of Sergeant attached to the 102nd Infantry US Yankee Division I give you STUBBY!

This was news to me when I first found out about them, inflatable dummy tanks from WWII used, obviously, as deception and worked quite well too and in 1944 there was an actual battalion called the Ghost Army which consisted of architects make up artists designers and engineers whose job it was to orchestrate a full scale multi media deception

There are not that many photographs of this great event in existence but I think this is fabulous. Dated 1887 showing the building of the Eiffel Tower

Britain's answer to gas attacks during WWII gas resistant prams! Looks like a coffin to me! yuk

This pic is a wow factor pic in my opinion 106yr old Armenian woman guarding her home 1990...go granny!

This is horrific and one of the few times I'll praise Health & Safety Regulations! The face of hockey goalkeeper Terry Sawchuk in 1966 before masks became compulsory.

Nikolai Tesla (date unknown) sitting behind one of his experiemental contraptions the Magnifying Transmitter showing supreme confidence in his machine!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

corrected..sorry I hit the zero instead of the 9

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Star and flag for the cool historical pics!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

well it's something to do on a freezing November night/morning here in England
fritter away a few hours before breakfast

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

You had to do, what you had to do back in the day.

No shame in that youngan.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Terry Sawchuk could of played Frankenstein with little make-up. Wow.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This thread is wonderful. S&F.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: blackadder01

Thank you Captain Bladder

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I know its pretty damn awful. He must have been in almost constant pain and a regular at A&E

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Old time children in Halloween costumes.

edit on 11/17/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Outstanding stuff.

That Typhoon is a MASSIVE boat. Kinda takes your breath away to think about the destructive potential that just ONE boat like this would have.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I wonder how many of those women supported the Iranian revolution, only to find out how the new regime was going to limit their rights and treat them like second class citizens.

It's my understanding that the Tesla picture was a camera trick. He took one exposure with him sitting in the chair, and another once the Tesla Coil was powered up. It's still amazing though; one of the first examples of the use of special effects in photography. Tesla was always a man ahead of his time.

-dex

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Ok they are seriously more scary than anything this century! lol

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

Yup never knew they were so huge until I saw this picture

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Oh didn't know it was a camera trick but like you say nice example of early photo manipulation etc

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: blackadder01

Thank you Captain Bladder

You're Welcome Princess DavenSnort.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Crap, I wore one of those masks back in 42.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join