It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists may have just cured aging

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Immortality may seem like a worthy pursuit but the fact of the matter is that we are mortal by design, natural or otherwise.

Not suggesting i would not wish to live for 500-1000 years as long as everyone i also knew shared the experience but i imagine life could get rather lonely to the point where it may seem futile to exist if indeed we were ever to get a handle on imortality.

Everything has its time and place, even people.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Dying is natural,being ageless is not there will be unforseen consequences for messing with the natural order of things.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Its interesting that this is based on resveratrol, this is the molecule found in red wine (in small quantities).

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

Boredom, apathy, and eventual psychosis possibly being the unforeseen consequence.

Consider though if we were to also develop the ability to cross the gulf between the stars over a period of say a few hundred years, technology such as this could quite possibly eliminate the need for generation starships.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Instant trillion dollar industry

This will be bigger than the Internet

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Death will happen to us all at some point even if we cure aging and could live forever the odds of getting hit by a bus or some other accident increase to 99.9% ,

We do need to cure aging think of the great minds we have lost and what they could have achieved with more years .
edit on 11/9/2017 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Read this a couple of days ago. I see potential, utilizing a reversterol analog they can boost a certain biological chemistry that extends telomeres and corrects small DNA problems so they do not get worse.

I guess I should go out and get a bag of blueberries out of the freezer and make a blueberry pie. Maybe I will add a little blackberries in the pie too to kill any flu viruses that hap my way.

Found this article that kind of helps understand this. www.nature.com...

Here is another one. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

It helps me understand better, but might just confuse most people. These processes they talk about are kind of important. The action of natural foods containing this only seem to negatively effect fast reproducing cells, not regular cells in our body. The extending of telomeres related to these foods do not apparently help cancer either, some forms of foods that increase telomere length actually increase cancer telomeres too.

This is a decent find....on top of that I kind of like grapes once in a while and also really like anything blueberry. From what I could find on this, other berries also do have some of this but not as much as blueberries. But they did not test all berries, there are parts of strawberry and Blackberry chemistry that are antiviral and anticancer. Blackberry brandy flavoring does contain antiviral chemistry by the way. Some people here swear by blackberry brandy as a medicine, from my research it is a potent medicine.
edit on 9-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

hope they have a good cure for cancer, cancer doesn't discriminate based on age. what good will it do to stay young just to develop cancer. im sure a forever young drug wouldn't be cheap. they would come up with some scrip to be filled every month to keep the money rolling in i would bet.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

No one is forcing you to take the pill. But for the rest of us, I for one, would love to live another 100 years.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Instant trillion dollar industry

This will be bigger than the Internet

I'll just eat more homemade blueberry pie. I like going out and picking blueberries, but last year I didn't get out much because of the granddaughters wedding at our house. I only have enough for three pies this year. I would think that a pie from the store would not be that bad either, not as good as wild blueberries but still ok.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: stosh64

No one is forcing you to take the pill. But for the rest of us, I for one, would love to live another 100 years.

According to the article, it does not really extend your life, just extends quality of life. Less diseases that hamper you from doing stuff.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I've been taking resveratrol supplements every night for about 2 years now and have been researching longevity for years it's been proven a few years ago that resveratrol increased lab rats life span.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It's not a cure for aging it's a treatment for it.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212

hope they have a good cure for cancer, cancer doesn't discriminate based on age. what good will it do to stay young just to develop cancer. im sure a forever young drug wouldn't be cheap. they would come up with some scrip to be filled every month to keep the money rolling in i would bet.

If they have interpreted this correctly, this will actually reduce cancer risk. It isn't going to help everyone, especially if we keep consuming those scantly tested fifty thousand chemicals that the FDA has approved to use on food.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

They are able to grow, and their telomeres - the caps on the ends of the chromosomes that shorten as we age - are now longer, as they are in young cells.

Remember when 23andMe started all the TV commercials wanting you to send in your DNA samples so you could know more about your ancestry and where you came from? For a while just about every other commercial was a 23andMe plea for your DNA. I remember the cost went from $999 to $99, or something like that. (They sure wanted those DNA samples badly.)

Now, I have noticed lots of commercials wanting you to check your "telo-years" by sending in samples of your DNA to measure your telomeres.

The idea that you can live forever is a powerful incentive to fork over your DNA sample.

edit on 9-11-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

23andMe is the Google.

And the Google is on record saying they want everyuones DNA (and its implications) to be publicly searchable on the Google.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: rickymouse

I've been taking resveratrol supplements every night for about 2 years now and have been researching longevity for years it's been proven a few years ago that resveratrol increased lab rats life span.

I am a mouse, that doesn't apply to me.

Gelatin is a better choice. The people who are touting the benefits of bone broth and soups made from cartilaginous soup bones are correct. The bones should be from cows that mostly eat grass though, hormones and steroids do build up in the bone tissue. So does pesticide chemistry and herbicide chemistry.

The chemicals in bone made from cartilage and bone contains extra chemicals that are not in those pills. It takes a while to make the broth but they do sell organic bone broth in coops and stores. Glucosamine is not the only good chemical in cartilage, skin gelatin and cartilage geletin also have different properties and treat different problems.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
does any think that the average person will ever get to see this. it will be reserved only for the rich and powerful if not already.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Certain chemistries increase telomere length. One is coconut chemistry. I could not find out whether coconut chemistry increased the length of cancer cell telomeres though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join