It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ Removed From Mississippi School Curriculum; "Uncomfortable"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
tbh, kids in that school with an ounce of curiosity will be more likely to seek the book out and read it now. i know i was always itching to get my hands on anything my mom said was inappropriate

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
tbh, kids in that school with an ounce of curiosity will be more likely to seek the book out and read it now. i know i was always itching to get my hands on anything my mom said was inappropriate

AKA the Streisand effect.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I suppose this is the first step in removing and banning all books. There is no idea, word, image, taste, smell, or sound, that someone might decide to find offensive.

My mother used to tell us children frequently when growing up, that life is not fair. It is a lesson that many need to remember, and maybe they will understand that life in not about you being comfortable, nor should you expect to go through life not being offended.

I know that they have pushed the "you are special, and you can have and be anything that you want" nonsense to most of the young folk, but during my time they pushed Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. It was expected that you would grow up and separate fantasy from reality.

The case of the Peter Pan Syndrome has reached epidemic levels. It is time to pull the plug and grow up.

edit on 14-10-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Keeping that in mind, '
While I don't particularly care for the "racial epithets" in question, I believe they are central to the racial inequality theme of the book'
*********************************************************************************************************************
Here's a thought. If all things that offend blacks (blacks mostly) are eliminated and history is wiped clean and 2020 starts a new Epoch, how will Blacks, or anyone else even consider reparations or legal actions ?

40-50 years from now books will be scares, history books as useful as 1950 Encyclopedia Britannica that they used to sell door to door..

edit on 14-10-2017 by Plotus because: you snooze ya lose

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wait.. 8th graders who are almost on their way to high school where they will experience worse than reading a book?
Are these the same 8th graders that listen to violent and sexual mainstream or underground music without parental consent?

Someone please kill me

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
For what it's worth, my teenage daughter just informed me that in one of her classes here in MS, all they do is watch CNN... and only CNN.

You'll probably read about my arrest Monday when I go down there and raise ten kinds of hell.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I wonder if the '' uncomfortableness'' was due to the depiction of racial inequality present at that time or the use of racial slang used in the book to expose it.

Has to do with sexual predatory behavior, the black rape monster, white women and any negro will due come justice time.....and white women framing up. very uncomfortable stuff.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hmmn.....

The modern equivalent of *book burning*

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

If, or when the principal reads you the boiler plate response, site this story and say you are uncomfortable with CNN.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
They are burying the past. TKAM is too 'truthful'. Mark Twain's 'Huck Finn' for the same reason.

Didn't some movie theatre ban Gone With the Wind?

Damn control freaks.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm sure they will replace it with Hillary's What Happened...lol

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Where have you been for the last, oh I don't know, 100 years?

People, idiots all, have wanted many a book banned from school libraries, public libraries, and, if they could, from book stores even...

Just because you don't notice, doesn't mean it's not happening. I've been to nearly a dozen school board meetings, and a few library committee meetings, that discussed this very issue, over the years. My area is hardly unique in that.

So, just out of idle curiosity, when does it become a problem for you?
edit on 10/14/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep. All over the nation.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Oh, without a doubt, it's very uncomfortable reading.

To my mind, all the more reason to require it to be read. But, despite that, it's a masterpiece of American literature.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

You go!!

Kick some metaphorical ass!!

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I suppose this is the first step in removing and banning all books. There is no idea, word, image, taste, smell, or sound, that someone might decide to find offensive.

Not as long as there are folks like me who are all out of "give a #", and aren't afraid to raise Hell over the issue. ...and I'm never alone.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I wonder if the '' uncomfortableness'' was due to the depiction of racial inequality present at that time or the use of racial slang used in the book to expose it.

Yep. I wonder if Huckleberry Finn is next?

The likely have the "sanitized" version, so it's safe.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've never seen a "sanitized" version... Hmmm...something to look into.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Logarock

Oh, without a doubt, it's very uncomfortable reading.

To my mind, all the more reason to require it to be read. But, despite that, it's a masterpiece of American literature.

I saw the movie as a youngster on the late nite tv. It had an impact on me like very few films ever. Shook my little self up.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Not as long as there are folks like me who are all out of "give a #", and aren't afraid to raise Hell over the issue. ...and I'm never alone.

We are not alone.
www.washingtontimes.com...

Anyway the book isn't banned at that school in the OP. The students are still free to read it at their library. Heck teachers can give them extra credit for the book reports on TKAM.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join