It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ Removed From Mississippi School Curriculum; "Uncomfortable"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

One of the few movies that were every bit as good, and uncomfortable, as the book.

Moby Dick rates that high, too. Oddly enough, Gregory Peck starred in both.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: seasonal

Bit by bit, one school, one district at a time.

Sad how people cling to censorship.

Like Trump?

I agree with you this time though. To Kill a Mockingbird should be required reading.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yes, actually, like Trump. At least on this issue. His comment about burning Harry Potter books as a response to its author daring to criticize him lost him a lot of respect--well, not lots since I'm not a real fan--from me.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Now I want to watch the movie again tonight. LOL. One of the best classics.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The left loved "To Kill a Mockingbird" until the sequel came out and revealed that Atticus Finch the Democrat was a KKK member. That is just a historicallly correct depiction of powerful democrats at that time.

Atticus Finch is a RACIST: Harper Lee's new Mockingbird 'sequel' Go Set A Watchman is set to shock millions as it's revealed hero is a bigot who attends KKK meetings in later life

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 14-10-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Same dems that were against civil rights?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Dixiecrats. But what a way to take this thread off topic.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

How is it off topic exactly?

It is very much on topic.

edit on 14-10-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
This is a win for white nationalists.

Yep. The dem white nationalists like Atticus Finch were always fond of censorship.

link   
a reply to: seagull

Sorry, that had to do with a question I asked in a different thread.

link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

How is it off topic exactly?

It is very much on topic.

Politics have nothing to do with this. The Dixiecrats weren't on the left.
Censorship is bad regardless of which side you are on.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Has Watchman been banned in the south too?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

This a win for those who write books that only use 1 and 2 sylable words.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
a reply to: DexterRiley

Keeping that in mind, '
While I don't particularly care for the "racial epithets" in question, I believe they are central to the racial inequality theme of the book'
*********************************************************************************************************************
Here's a thought. If all things that offend blacks (blacks mostly) are eliminated and history is wiped clean and 2020 starts a new Epoch, how will Blacks, or anyone else even consider reparations or legal actions ?

40-50 years from now books will be scares, history books as useful as 1950 Encyclopedia Britannica that they used to sell door to door..

I'm not completely sure I understand the question. However, I'll give you my opinions on the topics you list.

First off, let me modify my position. I still stand by the spirit of my previous post. However, perhaps it makes more sense to reserve this book for a high school curriculum. I believe that is where it was required reading for me all those many years ago. 8th grade students may not have the maturity to fully understand the context of the racial themes in TKAM.

Now, in this day and age, subject matter that presumably offends blacks are generally taken up by those of a left leaning political persuasion. In fact, it is not unusual for white people to be the ones to push this political correctness. In fact, it is not unusual for some African-Americans to look at these tempests in a teapot and simply write it off to "that's white folks for ya," then go about their business.

Of course those of a right-leaning political position have their tempests in a teapot as well. As was mentioned previously, Harry Potter is an example of a book that is considered evil by some members of the religious right. I disagree with that position as well.

As far as reparations are concerned, I think that time passed a long time ago. I believe Affirmative action was an attempt at it, but that eventually fell into disfavor.

As far as sanitizing history is concerned, there has been a ongoing effort on the right to paint the founding fathers in a better light by downplaying the fact that most all of them were slave holders. I don't agree with this either, as it was part of our history and we should learn from it. I don't think any less of these men because they owned slaves. It was part and parcel of being a person of wealth and means.

Literature should not be sanitized to make people feel better. A great literary work loses its meaning when certain words and phrases are rewritten, or otherwise modified to be more politically correct. History is what it is. When certain aspects of our past are downplayed in order to make an historical figure more politically acceptable it does a disservice to everyone.

Just MHO.

-dex

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
BURN THOSE BOOKS! BURN THOSE BOOKS! Bur...wait...what?! My God, this is getting beyond pathetic. Dear George Orwell,
Guess what? You were so prophetic! We're a little behind schedule, but getting there!

When are they going to ban the color "black" from the crayon boxes?

And all those poor, unsuspecting people with the last name of "Black"? What ever are they going to do?

If there is such a thing as Reincarnation, I can only hope I take some of these memories with me for stupidity comparison in a hundred or so years.... I feel so sorry for my granddaughters having to grow up in this age of BS and ignorance. The really sad thing about it is that there's not one place on earth left to escape from it.

Hurry it up and get going on volunteers for life on Mars...I'm definitely ready to go! At this rate it'll probably have to be to an entirely different solar system though. I sure hate the idea of spreading all the crap we have going on today to other planets though....

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

Burning books comes later. Right now we are in the area of banning by do gooder leftist then being over ruled by a vote of the school board.

This is literature and it was written at a different time. Just like statues were made of people that lived in a different time. Trying to use some sort of time travel social justice is nuts.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

do gooder leftist

Are you a psychic?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes I am a psychic.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes I am a psychic.

You do realize that both sides have been calling for banning books, right?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Don't care what (dumb) side, or silly little club (R or D) is calling for fascism I do not agree.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join